Guess who's getting some new (non-quilly) babies! - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2015, 08:47 PM   #11 (permalink)

2015-04-22-17-42-39.jpg I found this one. They also have a ''Crabby pants'' shirt too! But... I didn't want to go there
Lilysmommy likes this.
Buttons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2015, 12:59 AM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Aww, I'm sorry Soyala. I'm sure you're not the only one with a story almost exactly like that...and I know that feeling. My family had budgies & we didn't care for them well at all. They still lived at least 10+ years, but I cringe every time I think about how we housed them, fed them, etc.

I wish there were laws against it as well. I can't even begin to imagine how many hermit crabs die in the States every year...it's probably a ridiculous number. On the plus side, you know better now, which is a good thing. All we can do is learn from our mistakes & try to better educate ourselves and others. I'm doing my best to spread correct info about hermit crabs now that I'm learning...I talked my coworkers to death about hermit care today.

And Buttons, that shirt is awesome!! And pffffft at the pants. They'd probably suit me pretty well in the mornings!
MomLady, Soyala_Amaya and Buttons like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2015, 10:15 AM   #13 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Man, I forgot to update on the whole Preparing for Crabbies thing!

I'm SO pleased because I went to Petsmart and Michael's craft store yesterday and found exactly what I was looking for. New cage furniture from the pet store includes a driftwood log (with a little hollow in it for a hiding place), a hollow corkwood log to bury a little for a hide, a poseable branch/vine thing, and a coconut fiber mat to hang on one of the tank walls. I also got a 60-watt CHE bulb (I already have my thermostat & lamps from Lily & a 100-watt bulb), water dechlorinator, marine salt, and a bag of Eco Earth coconut fiber bedding which will get mixed with sand.

At Michael's I got a bag of shells which gave me 6 usable shells (or at least I think they are, we'll see what the crabs think! ), 5-6 clay plant pots for hides or for live plants, a clay dish that I can make into a moss bed, fishing net to cut up for "ladders" to get in & out of their pools & probably for other things, some rocks for the bottom of their pools, and a wicker basket that I can flip upside down & cut a hole into the side for a dual hide/second level.

Today's adventures will include moving a couch section out of my room so I can put their tank in its place, and going to Meijer for play sand, a spray bottle for misting, and organic peanut butter that will be just for them. I have a feeling it'll take them abut 10 years to make it through the jar, so maybe they'll have to share with me.

Two days to crabbies!!
MomLady and DesireeM81 like this.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:18 AM   #14 (permalink)

Good luck!! If you have cats be sure to keep them away from the crabs. One of my cats ate all of my sister's hermit crabs. Also sometimes they die in new enivorments for no known reason.
hedgie_lover_17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2015, 10:46 AM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator

No kitties in the house (right now), but I'll remember that for the future. Once I move out, I'm hoping to bring a kitty home, but I think my friend & I already have a plan for that anyway. We'd also like rats & a hedgehog, so we're planning to have my room be the small prey animal room & off limits to kitty. Then my friend's room will be open to the kitty so she still has a couple of rooms to explore.

And yeah, I've read that. Considering what the little guys often go through, I'm not surprised. Hopefully these three won't, they've all been living with their previous owners for months. But we'll see!

Yesterday's shopping was extremely productive too! I got frozen organic raspberries, blueberries, mango, and frozen peaches (no organic ones available). I also got organic peanut butter with nothing else in it but peanuts. And then a spray bottle, three bags of sand, and this awesome little shelf! I'm thrilled about the shelf, it's absolutely perfect. I'm going to cover the levels with coconut mats & wrap hemp rope around the supports.

And well...here's my progress shot so far from two days of shopping + what I already had on hand. And I'm still not done yet! I need to get more food, some more fake plants, cuttlebone, moss, a coconut hide, and more coconut mats from another pet store tomorrow before I get the tank.

Buttons likes this.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:26 PM   #16 (permalink)

That's quite the stash you have there!! Just so you're aware some woods that are decorative can be bleached, just as a side note for you to check. I know I've found bleached driftwood and grapevine in stores.

I'm so excited for you!!!!
Old 04-25-2015, 01:39 AM   #17 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Good to know, thank you! I'll see if I can figure out if it has been...It doesn't look like it has, but I guess I'm not exactly sure how to tell.

I should be going to sleep right now, but instead I'm going to finish setting up my heat lamp cages, ziptieing coconut mat onto the shelf, and dipping everything I plan on putting in the tank tomorrow (or might put in) into dechlorinated water so it can dry overnight on paper towels. I think that's most of what I need to do tonight...I can't do a whole lot more until I have the tank!

My coworkers are going to hate me during work tomorrow. My next update will have pictures of the tank all set up & the new crabbies!
Soyala_Amaya and Buttons like this.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:08 AM   #18 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The crabbies are here!!

First, here are some pictures of the tank set up.

I thought I was having some trouble with heating at first, but I think it was just an incorrect thermometer. I started using my preferred thermometer (which I was trying to check humidity accuracy on) and now I'm pretty sure my problem is humidity rather than heat. I'm going to have to keep tinkering around with the set up & see what's going to work best. I might switch from CHE tanks to UTHs (under tank heaters) stuck to the side of the tank to help avoid drying the tank out so much. The humidity is half what it should be.

And of course, the crabbies! Here's the bigger guy first. He was name Sherman by his previous owners, but I'll probably change it once I can get a chance to check the sex of all three & decide on names. This guy doesn't think much of sitting still & has been on the go for most of the evening, exploring the new tank!

Then there are the two little guys from the other home. I was told this one in the painted shell was more social & he did come out for a close-up right away (sorry for the picture quality - awful cell phone):

Since I put him in, though, he's mostly stuck to hiding under a fake log or underneath the shelves, so I haven't seen much more of him.

I was told his friend was very shy & won't come out. He hid until I dipped him in the freshwater pool (for the introductions, to try & avoid aggression), and then he came out to say hi (and maybe protest the dunk, who knows. ) -

He's such a little cutie!! I'm already in love. He's been doing a fair amount of exploring as well -

MomLady, DesireeM81 and Buttons like this.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:10 AM   #19 (permalink)

Beautiful set up, I bet they love it.

Enjoy getting to know your new crabby buddies.
Lilysmommy and Buttons like this.

RIP my dear Nara 7/2/10---1/6/15. Mommy will always love you.
MomLady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2015, 02:39 AM   #20 (permalink)

That's amazing! Very lucky little crabs indeed! Now I get what you were building with your coconut mats. I love the shelf. Great idea with the netting leading up to the slippery drinking dish too. You'll wake up in the morning and they will have rearranged everything. There will be tracks all over in the sand. I called them crabby stories.

Have fun! I'm very happy for you Kelsey
Lilysmommy and MomLady like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in