ants attacking my hedgie's food - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2015, 05:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question ants attacking my hedgie's food

Hi, recently I have the following problem: lots of ants are attacking my hedgie's food and I honestly dont know how to get rid of them. I cleaned the floor with lemon juice, with vinegret, scattered lemon peels around and I only put the food down when it is time for eating and take it up right after that. However, this doesnt seem to help much so far. Any other ideas?Any suggestion would be much appreciated.
galya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2015, 06:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Have you discovered where the ants are coming into the house from? I had an ant problem last summer, and while some things helped, I had to track down the source of the ants and use harsher treatments to deal with them entirely. Mostly the natural remedies did absolutely nothing. I had good luck with bait traps, but it only lessened the numbers of ants. Albeit dramatically, but it still didn't deal with the problem altogether. I used the bait traps inside near where they came in to the house, and outside I finally gave up and sprayed pesticide by their entrance. No more ants after.

I also found that febreeze destroys ant trails, which will at least slow them down.
Lilysmommy and DesireeM81 like this.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2015, 03:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

I too have ants that febreez thing sounds great does the scent bother the hogs? I try to be mindful of how sensitive their sniffer is, I used an eco Spray for ants and roaches that is mostly strong essential oils and it even have ME a headache !
Beasty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 07:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

A line of chalk around your hedgehogs home will work. Ants deposit pheromones to leave a trail for the other ants to follow. They can't leave a trail through the fine powder of the chalk.

There are some interesting youtube videos if you look up ants and chalk, if you would like to see the theory in action. It's actually amazing!
tofrus likes this.
Buttons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2015, 09:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for all your suggestions. Unfortunately I can not quite understand wher the ants are coming from. I live in a flat on the 7th floor and didn't thought that they can track the food up here but obviously they are quite good at this I actually admire them and don't what to kill them - just to make them stay away from my hedgie I may try this chalk thing - hope it will work. Thanks again
Old 04-16-2015, 03:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Another thing that works for ants is diatomaceous earth, but that will kill them. It's not at all harmful to humans or hedgies -- in fact, some people eat it or give it to their pets to cure parasites. You'd just need to sprinkle it around the outside of your hedgie's cage and around your home, and it'll get rid of the ants.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

I found out about the chalk from a friend who grew up on a farm and swore by it.

I thought I let you know I tried this experiment for myself today. I had to draw a fairly heavy and wide line to stop them from crossing it, but it worked! You should definitely experiment with it yourself. A softer artists chalk may work better as you will get heavier lines.

Some people just draw lines around their table legs. I was thinking of a fun way you could incorporate this idea in another way. You could paint the top of an old table or even look for a free one and paint the top with chalkboard paint and sit your hedgehogs home on top. You could design or draw what you want while keeping him safe from the ants.

2015-04-16-14-55-46.jpg

* No ants were harmed in this experiment
Buttons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2015, 06:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

I second the diatomaceous earth. Make a border of it all around your room or around your hedgie area. Contact with it kills insects but is safe for humans and hedgies.
Widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2015, 09:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thank you very much - chalk will be Now i just need to find where to get it from
Old 04-17-2015, 10:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

You can probably can get chalk at any dollar store near you, but they will be colorful (especially in summer, since kids play more outside). For regular chalk (like teachers uses), you can get them at any school items supplies, you know where you get your supplies for the school year haha Hope this helps?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in