Cut Nails too short, blood - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2011, 10:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
tut

Default Cut Nails too short, blood

I was cutting Henry's nails for the first time tonight. I was in the middle of cutting one on his front paw when all of the sudden he moved and his paw started bleeding. I checked his paw, and it is only one nail that has blood coming from it. What should I do? Should I
expect him not to run tonight? Should I put anything on the cut to help it heal? HELP.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Cut Nails too short, blood

Styptic powder (bought at any pet store or vet clinic) or corn starch pressed directly on the nail stops the bleeding.

If you don't have either get some flour (regular old flour) and put it in a dish and put your hedgehogs foot in it.

They usually stop bleeding on their own, but you don't want them to lose too much blood (they are tiny creatures) so put some flour or corn starch or styptic powder on it.

The wheel can be left in that's fine. Unless you really cut the whole nail off, don't worry about it, it will heal.

And just leave the hedgehog alone for a bit too. Stress = higher blood pressure = more bleeding. So the calmer the hedgehog is, the sooner the bleeding stops.
tofrus likes this.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
tut

Thank you so much for the quick response, it took you only three min. I didn't have anything but flour, so I dunked his foot in it. I will monitor it for the next few days, thanks again!

Old 05-19-2011, 10:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

How's Henry's toe?

The first time I got Snarf's quick was in the bath...holy jeez - looked like an awful lot of blood. Luckily, I keep a teeny container of cornstarch with his clippers.

Are you the same tut who is on Hedgehog World's forum? I just joined there.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
tut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissC
How's Henry's toe?

The first time I got Snarf's quick was in the bath...holy jeez - looked like an awful lot of blood. Luckily, I keep a teeny container of cornstarch with his clippers.
Ichecked on it today, and yes, it was in the bath, it doesn't look nearly as bad as yesterday though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissC
Are you the same tut who is on Hedgehog World's forum? I just joined there.
Ys Iam, but Ilike this forum better(shh..don't tell). How did u know, I haven't posted anything yet on there?
Old 06-06-2014, 05:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default My hedgehog won't stop bleeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by tut View Post
Ichecked on it today, and yes, it was in the bath, it doesn't look nearly as bad as yesterday though.

Ys Iam, but Ilike this forum better(shh..don't tell). How did u know, I haven't posted anything yet on there?
It's been like an hour an it won't stop bleeding , I put her in a bowl a flour an tried holding an i know i'm stressing her out, should i just leave her alone, how often should i check on her? Help!!!!
adamtobin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2014, 05:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hello! I'm very new at hedgehog mommyhood and this terrible thing happened to Sochi (my 3.5 month old hedgie) and I about over an hour ago. The bleeding stopped after the cornstarch then started a bit again after she scratched with that foot. I cut pretty deep so I'm very worried. It stopped again now but not sure if it's nothing to
worry about. I really lover this forum btw and am so thankful for it!😁
Sochi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2014, 07:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sochi's Mom View Post
Hello! I'm very new at hedgehog mommyhood and this terrible thing happened to Sochi (my 3.5 month old hedgie) and I about over an hour ago. The bleeding stopped after the cornstarch then started a bit again after she scratched with that foot. I cut pretty deep so I'm very worried. It stopped again now but not sure if it's nothing to
worry about. I really lover this forum btw and am so thankful for it!😁
Cutting the quick of the nail while giving your hedgie a pedicure is just something that is going to happen. It feels worse for us as caregivers than it does for the hedgie, though your hedgie may look at you funny for a couple of days. I always have a bowl of cornstarch on hand when it is time to start the nail cutting and all to the good if it doesn't need to get used that day.
When you trim, just look for the sweet spot mid nail and aim for that if you can. I know our little ones don't make it easy on us though, so keep the cornstarch ready, just in case

gracefulchaos01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2014, 03:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thank you for the info and reassurance gracefulchaos01! I really hope I didn't do any permanent damage since it's cut deeper than I've ever gone. Good news though is that it hasn't bled out or anything for almost 17 hours but Sochi seems like she' s not eating as much. She's eaten 3 superworms and about half a teaspoon of kitten kibble today but she's capable of more. I guess ill keep a vigilant watch on her to make sure there aren't anymore adverse effects or an infection .
Sochi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2014, 02:45 AM   #10 (permalink)

Would baby powder work also?
lydi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in