Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Cut Nails too short, blood (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10012)

tut 05-18-2011 11:17 PM

Cut Nails too short, blood

I was cutting Henry's nails for the first time tonight. I was in the middle of cutting one on his front paw when all of the sudden he moved and his paw started bleeding. I checked his paw, and it is only one nail that has blood coming from it. What should I do? Should I
expect him not to run tonight? Should I put anything on the cut to help it heal? HELP.

SnufflePuff 05-18-2011 11:20 PM

Re: Cut Nails too short, blood

Styptic powder (bought at any pet store or vet clinic) or corn starch pressed directly on the nail stops the bleeding.

If you don't have either get some flour (regular old flour) and put it in a dish and put your hedgehogs foot in it.

They usually stop bleeding on their own, but you don't want them to lose too much blood (they are tiny creatures) so put some flour or corn starch or styptic powder on it.

The wheel can be left in that's fine. Unless you really cut the whole nail off, don't worry about it, it will heal.

And just leave the hedgehog alone for a bit too. Stress = higher blood pressure = more bleeding. So the calmer the hedgehog is, the sooner the bleeding stops.

tut 05-18-2011 11:48 PM

Thank you so much for the quick response, it took you only three min. I didn't have anything but flour, so I dunked his foot in it. I will monitor it for the next few days, thanks again!

MissC 05-19-2011 11:31 AM

How's Henry's toe?

The first time I got Snarf's quick was in the bath...holy jeez - looked like an awful lot of blood. Luckily, I keep a teeny container of cornstarch with his clippers.

Are you the same tut who is on Hedgehog World's forum? I just joined there. :mrgreen:

tut 05-19-2011 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissC
How's Henry's toe?

The first time I got Snarf's quick was in the bath...holy jeez - looked like an awful lot of blood. Luckily, I keep a teeny container of cornstarch with his clippers.

Ichecked on it today, and yes, it was in the bath, it doesn't look nearly as bad as yesterday though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissC
Are you the same tut who is on Hedgehog World's forum? I just joined there. :mrgreen:

Ys Iam, but Ilike this forum better(shh..don't tell). How did u know, I haven't posted anything yet on there?

adamtobin 06-06-2014 06:19 PM

My hedgehog won't stop bleeding

Quote:

Originally Posted by tut (Post 89634)
Ichecked on it today, and yes, it was in the bath, it doesn't look nearly as bad as yesterday though.

Ys Iam, but Ilike this forum better(shh..don't tell). How did u know, I haven't posted anything yet on there?

It's been like an hour an it won't stop bleeding , I put her in a bowl a flour an tried holding an i know i'm stressing her out, should i just leave her alone, how often should i check on her? Help!!!!

Sochi's Mom 09-05-2014 06:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello! I'm very new at hedgehog mommyhood and this terrible thing happened to Sochi (my 3.5 month old hedgie) and I about over an hour ago. The bleeding stopped after the cornstarch then started a bit again after she scratched with that foot. I cut pretty deep so I'm very worried. It stopped again now but not sure if it's nothing to
worry about. I really lover this forum btw and am so thankful for it!😁

gracefulchaos01 09-06-2014 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sochi's Mom (Post 511298)
Hello! I'm very new at hedgehog mommyhood and this terrible thing happened to Sochi (my 3.5 month old hedgie) and I about over an hour ago. The bleeding stopped after the cornstarch then started a bit again after she scratched with that foot. I cut pretty deep so I'm very worried. It stopped again now but not sure if it's nothing to
worry about. I really lover this forum btw and am so thankful for it!😁

Cutting the quick of the nail while giving your hedgie a pedicure is just something that is going to happen. It feels worse for us as caregivers than it does for the hedgie, though your hedgie may look at you funny for a couple of days. I always have a bowl of cornstarch on hand when it is time to start the nail cutting and all to the good if it doesn't need to get used that day.
When you trim, just look for the sweet spot mid nail and aim for that if you can. I know our little ones don't make it easy on us though, so keep the cornstarch ready, just in case :)

Sochi's Mom 09-06-2014 04:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you for the info and reassurance gracefulchaos01! I really hope I didn't do any permanent damage since it's cut deeper than I've ever gone. Good news though is that it hasn't bled out or anything for almost 17 hours but Sochi seems like she' s not eating as much. She's eaten 3 superworms and about half a teaspoon of kitten kibble today but she's capable of more. I guess ill keep a vigilant watch on her to make sure there aren't anymore adverse effects or an infection .

lydi 12-23-2014 03:45 AM

Would baby powder work also?