Cut Nails too short, blood - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2015, 03:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

I was cutting my hedgies nails today when I went to clip a back one and she freaked out so I stopped before I cut the whole nail because I thought I saw blood. It doesn't seem to be activity bleeding and she seems find now... What do I do??
Shyhedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2015, 03:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

There are a couple things you can do when your hedgie get a nail cut a bit too short.
This is pulled from this website. http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/resou...a/nailtrim.htm

No matter how careful you are, you will likely accidentally hit a nail quick and cause some bleeding at some point. Don't panic. Here are some things that will stop the bleeding:

a commercial product such as Kwik-Stop (a powder) or any styptic powder. These sting but are highly effective. Take a pinch of powder and press onto the tip of the affected nail after wiping away the blood.
cornstarch or flour can also be used in a similar manner
you can press the affected nail into a bar of mild soap
for minor problems, simply applying pressure to the tip of the nail may be effective
No matter which method you use, make sure the bleeding has stopped before placing the animal back in its cage, or leaving the animal unattended.
While nail trims sometimes seem very daunting, especially on a nervous and jumpy pet, doing nail trims is really not difficult and will become much easier if they are done regularly as part of your pets' maintenance.
for minor problems, simply applying pressure to the tip of the nail may be effective
No matter which method you use, make sure the bleeding has stopped before placing the animal back in its cage, or leaving the animal unattended.
While nail trims sometimes seem very daunting, especially on a nervous and jumpy pet, doing nail trims is really not difficult and will become much easier if they are done regularly as part of your pets' maintenance.

Syptic powder works great. So does corn starch. Soap, I wouldn't do that unless I had no other choice. With my larger birds that was a great method but for smaller ones it didn't alway work because their nails were so thin and there wasn't much to their feet. Hedgehog nails and feet are much smaller than any parrot nails I was trimming.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2015, 03:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Administrator

Personally, I'd go with cornstarch or flour if you think you need it. Otherwise a little pressure applied to the nail often stops the bleeding. I knew a hedgehog who became a biter because their owner used kwik-stop on their nail, even years later she would bite if you touched her feet.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 03:38 PM   #14 (permalink)

We always used corn starch. It's something we always have on hand, it has many properties and I try and be frugal.
I noticed the article mentioned that it could burn some, that in itself makes me feel better about corn starch or a bit of pressure.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2015, 03:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobytwopets View Post
I noticed the article mentioned that it could burn some, that in itself makes me feel better about corn starch or a bit of pressure.
Stypic does burn. To be honest, I find it just hurts. With as much as many of our quilled ones hate having their feet touched, its just not worth the risk of having them associate that additional pain with nail clipping or for that matter you, as you did it to them, when there is a pretty darn good substitute in many kitchens already.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2015, 10:55 PM   #16 (permalink)

I was cutting Penny's nails just now and she moved and sure enough it cut her I immediately filled the sink with cold water (soap free) to flush it out I left her in the water for about 1 to 2 minutes then I got a container and stuck her foot in old flour penny immediately stopped bleeding after I flushed it with water but,I used the flour too just to be safe I have been watching it for about 30 minutes now and she stopped bleeding maybe next time stick your hedgehog in water first it helped for penny
Just.penny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2017, 09:42 PM   #17 (permalink)

Unhappy Cut my hedgie's nail too deep

I accidentally cut the hedgie's nail to deep and it start bleeding but after I gave a little pressure it stopped. But I think that the nail is kindda swell right now. Should I give him something?
Snoopy's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2018, 10:42 AM   #18 (permalink)

So this happened to us last night. Thanks to this thread we treated the bleeding with corn starch and removed his wheel. The bleeding stopped we went to bed and he stayed in his house most of the night.

In the morning I found bloody foot prints all around the cage and a small blood soaked stain in his bed... so it started again.

I replaced his bedding and he seems to be his usual crabby self when I wake up. Other than trying to keep the wound clean with daily foot baths, I guess that’s all we can do. I want 24 hrs before I put his wheel back. All we need is him running for hours through his own bowl movements.
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2018, 02:48 PM   #19 (permalink)

Please check the date of the thread before posting!
Old 04-08-2018, 05:34 PM   #20 (permalink)

Why create a new thread? I’m not replying to anyone above I’m saying their posts were helpful.
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in