Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum - View Single Post - Picky Eater
Thread: Picky Eater
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
GoodandPlenty

Default Re: Picky Eater

Sophie is a preference eater. She eats only what she likes most and she eats it all. Then and only then will she move on to what she likes second most. It's worked out pretty well for me. I ration the kibble that she likes most to a bit less than half of what I expect total consumption to be, free feeding her second choice kibble. That's working pretty well for us.

She has mostly liked her kibbles, so haven't had a problem with her refusing to eat. She loves Gerber and Beechnut,( turkey or chicken) baby foods, so those are fed at treat levels. (She refused to eat the beef baby food.)

She rejected sweet potato baby food, bananas, watermelon, a couple of vegetables. She has mostly only rejected treat offerings, so no problem there.

She'll take a finger off to get at a mealie.

Rationing is usually pretty effective for preference eaters. Let them have what they like, but make sure that they are still hungry. That isn't a sure fix, but the best place to start.
GoodandPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote