Things you didn't know about hedgehogs until you got one! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2015, 06:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Things you didn't know about hedgehogs until you got one!

This is the thread for hedgie surprises. No matter how much research you do, there will always be things that surprise you when you get the real thing. ^^

1. The poop! I thought they pooped like rabbits, but no, it's like actual poop. :P
2. "Huffing". I imagined they hissed like cats -- opened their mouths up and showed their teeth. Now that I actually have one, I'm glad they don't. That would be way scarier.
3. Speed. I thought they were known for running super fast. They can run, but nowhere near as fast as I expected.
4. The nose wiggle. Teehee~
5. I thought they smelled really bad, and I was prepared. My hedgehog doesn't smell at all.

Last edited by Katten; 01-15-2015 at 06:13 PM.
Katten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2015, 08:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

How long their legs are when they really get going. Most pictures they are sitting still, scrunched up on the ground, the first time I saw Cody running full out on his wheel was definitely a surprise!

Soyala_Amaya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2015, 09:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyala_Amaya View Post
How long their legs are when they really get going. Most pictures they are sitting still, scrunched up on the ground, the first time I saw Cody running full out on his wheel was definitely a surprise!
I agree completely! The first time I saw hedgie legs in all their glory I was watching an overweight rescue at a pet store. He got up on the wheel, lifted up his skirt, and zoomed off on his spindly little legs. I was so shocked!

I'm also surprised at how well they can climb. I knew they were good at it but wow. Finnick gets inside the pant leg of my baggy pants and scales his way to the waistband before I can stop him, so all I can do is support his ascent.

And then once they've climbed something they're terrible at getting back down!
phoenix1964 and Katten like this.
FinnickHog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 12:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

I found hedgehog legs hilarious! I was just as surprised by them. They're so cute and awkward and unexpected. Tulsi is an excellent climber as well. She can climb all the way up my shirt, and then she tries to go on my back and gets herself where I can't reach her, so I have to arch over and have someone take her off of me.

A surprise for me was that my hedgehog is actually quite vocal. She squeaks, grunts, purrs, growls, and hisses on a daily basis. The growls and hissing are more because of new smells and what not, but she was vocal the moment I brought her home from the pet store.
phoenix1964 and Katten like this.

MistyDay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2015, 10:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

The nightmares they can have sometimes! Omg I thought she had died the first time I heard it
phoenix1964 and Antares like this.

CashmereSkeleton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2015, 02:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

Yes, haha, the legs were a surprise to me too.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

The spikes were not as bad as i thought!! I read on 1000001 site about how bad is the spikes and the owner who passed me told me to be careful of the spikes but nooooo, its not as bad in fact all these warnings only make me more scared of my hedgehog when it isn THAT bad in the first place..
tony21 and Katten like this.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yeah, the legs are longer than you think.

What surprised me the first time I saw my hedgie yawn was how long their tongues are!

Annointing is weird, even if you've seen a video, the first time your hedgie does it kind of shocks you. The weird positions they manage to get into.

How soft their tummies are--they are like velvet.

Most of all, how much of your heart they take when they go.
MomLady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2015, 03:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

HOW CUTE THEIR FEET ARE. Seriously, I love my girl's little feet so much and I can't believe those tiny things can hold up all that weight!

I was so surprised to learn that my hedgie also LOVES to cuddle with her face in our faces, feeling our breath!
MistyDay likes this.
TikkiLink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2015, 07:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

It was the ears. Pictures do not prepare you for the cute as **** little ears! They look like they're made of felt. I had an uncontrollable desire to touch them when I saw them in real life. Nico of course felt differently about that, but now she will let me touch them without much fuss.

Huh, apparently H E double hockey sticks trigger the language filter. Neat.

Last edited by shinydistraction; 01-18-2015 at 07:33 PM. Reason: an observation
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in