Breeding?? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2014, 01:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Breeding??

How old does my hedgie have to be to breed? I look forward to breeding but I need a mentor (since it will be my first time). Also (if my hedgie is old enough, she is 3 months and 6 days) would anyone be able to provide a male hedgehog?
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2014, 01:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Your female has to be at least 5-6 months before you breed her, so she's 6 months before the delivery. She can't be older than 1 year for her first delivery.

Do you have a pedigree for your female? You should not breed her otherwise - you need to check her genetic background for any genetic issues that could be passed on to her babies. The same thing is required with the male. If you breed without having the pedigrees, it's irresponsible and not supported at HHC.

Honestly, if she's your first hedgehog, it would be much better to wait and enjoy her as a pet. Breeding hedgehogs takes knowledge of hedgehog behavior, lots of research into normal and unusual behaviors of pregnant and nursing females, you need up to $1000 available for emergency vet visits in case she needs an emergency c-section (and if you're not prepared, you could potentially lose her and all of the babies). That's great that you're looking into a mentor though. There's a lot to learn about breeding, even if you only want to have one or two litters. I would take things slow, do lots of reading, find a mentor and talk to them, etc. And though it sounds bad, read the horror stories. Not every hedgehog pregnancy ends badly, but you can't assume nothing bad will happen and it's best to be prepared. You should also check to see if you have any responsible, ethical breeders in your area that may have and be willing to provide a foster mom if your hedgehog rejects her babies. Hand-raising is very difficult and often unsuccessful.

I know I'm being a bit of a wet blanket, but IMO, breeding is something that should be done only with plenty of preparation, research, and knowledge of hedgehogs. If you do decide to go ahead though, I wish you and your hedgehog luck with the litter. If you do run into trouble, please don't be afraid to post questions. Even if we don't support irresponsible breeding, our first concern is always for the hedgehogs and we'll help if there's a problem. But please, for your hedgehog's sake, give serious consideration to just enjoying her as a pet. There's plenty of time to get into breeding hedgehogs further down the line if you stay completely in love with these guys. New owners that are just getting the hang of the needs, behavior, and body language of hedgehogs are not great candidates for breeding. It'll be better for everyone if you wait a couple years or so.
Nancy, nikki, MomLady and 5 others like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12

Last edited by Lilysmommy; 09-01-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2014, 01:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilysmommy View Post
Your female has to be at least 5-6 months before you breed her, so she's 6 months before the delivery. She can't be older than 1 year for her first delivery.

Do you have a pedigree for your female? You should not breed her otherwise - you need to check her genetic background for any genetic issues that could be passed on to her babies. The same thing is required with the male. If you breed without having the pedigrees, it's irresponsible and not supported at HHC.

Honestly, if she's your first hedgehog, it would be much better to wait and enjoy her as a pet. Breeding hedgehogs takes knowledge of hedgehog behavior, lots of research into normal and unusual behaviors of pregnant and nursing females, you need up to $1000 available for emergency vet visits in case she needs an emergency c-section (and if you're not prepared, you could potentially lose her and all of the babies). That's great that you're looking into a mentor though. There's a lot to learn about breeding, even if you only want to have one or two litters. I would take things slow, do lots of reading, find a mentor and talk to them, etc. And though it sounds bad, read the horror stories. Not every hedgehog pregnancy ends badly, but you can't assume nothing bad will happen and it's best to be prepared. You should also check to see if you have any responsible, ethical breeders in your area that may have and be willing to provide a foster mom if your hedgehog rejects her babies. Hand-raising is very difficult and often unsuccessful.

I know I'm being a bit of a wet blanket, but IMO, breeding is something that should be done only with plenty of preparation, research, and knowledge of hedgehogs. If you do decide to go ahead though, I wish you and your hedgehog luck with the litter. If you do run into trouble, please don't be afraid to post questions. Even if we don't support irresponsible breeding, our first concern is always for the hedgehogs and we'll help if there's a problem. But please, for your hedgehog's sake, give serious consideration to just enjoying her as a pet. There's plenty of time to get into breeding hedgehogs further down the line if you stay completely in love with these guys. New owners that are just getting the hang of the needs, behavior, and body language of hedgehogs are not great candidates for breeding. It'll be better for everyone if you wait a couple years or so.
How do I obtain A pedigree?

Old 09-01-2014, 02:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

You'd need to get it from her breeder, as far as I know. Now that I remember, I have serious questions about the breeder you got her from. She was sent home with you way too young, at only 4 weeks. If the breeder sent the food home with you as well, they also don't feed their hedgehogs a good food at all. I would be very hesitant to trust the breeder you got her from for anything, and would seriously suggest not breeding her.
Nancy, nikki, MomLady and 3 others like this.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
You'd need to get it from her breeder, as far as I know. Now that I remember, I have serious questions about the breeder you got her from. She was sent home with you way too young, at only 4 weeks. If the breeder sent the food home with you as well, they also don't feed their hedgehogs a good food at all. I would be very hesitant to trust the breeder you got her from for anything, and would seriously suggest not breeding her.
My breeder did not send food with her. I ONLY feed Clementine cat food with 33% protein. And I did in fact check with my breeder. None of her previous (or present) hedgehogs have WHS or any other disease.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The ingredients are as much of a concern as the protein percentage. And you still need a pedigree in order to breed responsibly - I wouldn't take the word of a breeder who sends a baby home at 4 weeks. A responsible, ethical breeder who has someone looking to breed one of their babies will make sure that person has the actual pedigree so they can check it for themselves. If the breeder doesn't have it or won't give it to you (unless their reason is because they don't want you breeding her), then that's a concern.

Can I ask why you're so determined to breed your hedgehog when you've only had her for two months?
nikki, MomLady, Teddi4211 and 1 others like this.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHammy01 View Post
My breeder did not send food with her. I ONLY feed Clementine cat food with 33% protein. And I did in fact check with my breeder. None of her previous (or present) hedgehogs have WHS or any other disease.
It doesn't just need to be her hogs with a healthy background. That's why you need a pedigree. You need to check back 4 but preferably 5 generations back.
nikki, Lilysmommy, MomLady and 2 others like this.
ellisrks01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2014, 04:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

You need to have a 5 generation pedigree, free from WHS. Check with the Registry to make certain the lines are clear and that will include the male you breed her with.
nikki, Lilysmommy, MomLady and 1 others like this.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2014, 06:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

WHS can skip a few generations so just because her present and past hedgehogs do not/did not have it doesn't mean that there isn't WHS in their background. Unless you know their ancestors, back as far as great-great-great grandparents didn't have it then you are not being a responsible breeder or owner.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2014, 08:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
The ingredients are as much of a concern as the protein percentage. And you still need a pedigree in order to breed responsibly - I wouldn't take the word of a breeder who sends a baby home at 4 weeks. A responsible, ethical breeder who has someone looking to breed one of their babies will make sure that person has the actual pedigree so they can check it for themselves. If the breeder doesn't have it or won't give it to you (unless their reason is because they don't want you breeding her), then that's a concern.

Can I ask why you're so determined to breed your hedgehog when you've only had her for two months?
I'm not determined? I am just excited for Clementine.
DHammy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in