I'm sad, any cute hedgie stories ?? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2014, 08:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I'm sad, any cute hedgie stories ??

Hi guys, I'm feeling kind of down today..any one have any stories or photos of their hedgie that might brighten someone's day?
Charlie's mommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2014, 10:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

ImageUploadedByPG Free1404957342.149589.jpg

Here's kiwi willing to give a hug

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 07-09-2014, 11:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

I don't know if this is cheery or not, but it does speak to the bond between people and hedgehogs.
I got my first hedgehog, Libby, when I was 14. My father had just died and I wasn't handling it well, so I got a pet to love. She stole my heart and from then on hedgies became my favourite animal. People say I'm a lot like a hedgehog- prickly on the outside but soft on the inside.
I didn't get another hedgie until after I graduated university and started working. I had been suffering from an eating disorder since I was a teenager and finally in my 20's my anorexia became so bad I was hospitalized many times. I finally reached a point where I was sick of being sick. I got myself another hedgehog, Mason, to keep me company.
Mason was an awesome hedgehog and one of the main reasons I'm probably still alive. I hated having to leave him for another hospital stay. He was the only thing that made me happy. The last time I was hospitalized I was there for almost 3 months and my doctor gave special permission for Mason to come and visit me. My sweet hedgehog quickly became the most talked about thing on the ward. I always felt better when I was with him and he made me want to get better.
When I had stabilized, I got my third hedgehog, Molly. Mason and Molly got along so well. Molly had so many medical problems that I was distracted by taking care of her. My focus shifted from myself to my hedgies.
Mason and Molly have both passed away (Mason had wobbly hedgehog syndrome and Molly got a brain tumour). I cremated both of them and have them in the same urn on my bookshelf. Everyday I am thankful for the love and support they gave me.
I now have Gretta and Lucy and I continue to enjoy all the mischief they get into. I miss all my hedgies, but Mason holds a special place in my heart.
So when people tell you not to worry as Charlie is "only" a pet, ignore them. You are taking the very best care of Charlie and she is lucky to have you.
Hedgies are quick to steal your heart. I am forever grateful for my hedgehogs.
Melanie G. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 11:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Benny sends lots of love and hogs and kisses! <3

As far as funny stories go.. I had Benny out for cuddles last night, and he was unusually energetic and wanted to explore! So he's crawling all over me and goes up my chest and just sort of.. Pauses... And then there's a smell...

Lil bugger decided that pooping right on my chest was a good enough thing to do! He then proceeded to pee on me and poop yet again, for good measure. It's a darn good thing he's cute I tell ya!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (200.2 KB, 20 views)
Charlie's mommy likes this.

Last edited by Shainahmac; 07-09-2014 at 11:46 PM.
Shainahmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2014, 12:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

Aw Melanie! I can definetly appreciate your story. I don't typically tell people this story but I know people here are probably more understanding. In April I learned I was pregnant and I was so excited and happy. I started planning but I didn't have a great job and I didn't know what I wanted to do for schooling so at this point I was going to rush into a fast track 911 course. I went to the doctor and learned I have rh negative blood and my body was rejecting the baby. I lost it. Ended up realizing I wasn't happy and so I quit my not so great job quit school and now I'm on track to be a vet technician. So I adopted Charlie just so I wouldn't feel so alone, I got more attached then I thought! Charlie got me through the rough points, she's so silly, she lays on my stomach spread out like a starfish, and she likes to bite things randomly (never people) I'm happy you had such a bond with mason, Melanie. It really does help having a little friend to take care of. I'm not much of a people person, so seeing her wheeling or doing her starfish pose or charging like a tiny bull at the dogs really makes me laugh and appreciate the little things thanks for sharing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (141.8 KB, 17 views)
phoenix1964 and Melanie G. like this.
Charlie's mommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2014, 02:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I'm glad Charlie brings you comfort.
Hedgehogs are funny little creatures!
Melanie G. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2014, 02:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have discovered the magic spot on Tinkerball's back that instantly turns her into hedgehog putty. When I scratch her there, she sticks her tongue out and licks her nose. It's really cute.
Katten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2014, 02:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

One time I was a cleaning Zenyatta's cage. She had an older litter in there, and I had just put meal worms in the food dish. I was picking up fleece, and one of Zenyatta's sons must have smelled the meal worm, and he was following my hand around as I moved to pick up the fleece to throw in the washing machine.

https://www.facebook.com/Racinghogs?ref=hl

www.racinghedgehogs.com
sonichedghehogbreyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2014, 11:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

Melanie G. and Charlie's Mommy; good thoughts to both of you incredible people!
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2014, 02:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

Oh, thank you

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in