Hi! I'm new to hedgies. :) - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2009, 06:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hi! I'm new to hedgies. :)

We just got our first hedgie on July 25 from Dani(LOL Hedgies) and he is SOOOO sweet! We're totally in love with him!

He's a beautiful little cinnacot boy that we've named Neeko.

Here's a couple pics I've taken so far:

The day after we got him

"Is it safe to come out?"

Such a beautiful boy!

And here are some I took the other day

Poopy feet bath

Drying his tootsies

Sweet little boy(he was a wee upset cause I'd just had to dump him out of his wheel so I could clean it, lol)

I have him in a temporary set-up until I can either get a cage from my friend(she said she has a big one I can have) or I build him a better one. Here are some pics of his current set-up(it's got toys now and a PVC ramp instead of the one in the pic):

He's got a food mix of 50% Friskie's Indoor, 25% Royal canin Indoor Intese Hariball 34, and, temporarily(since he's still growing and, I assume, needs a little extra protein), Purina Kitten Chow, which will be changed to CSKLS(Senior) once he's a little older. He gets treats of mealies, darkling beetles(the mealie beetles), and superworms. He also gets some veggies every once in a while when I let him snack of the veggies from my sugar gliders' dinners, lol.

Hopefully I'm doing everything right. If not, please let me know!

I'll be saving up for the CCS wheel as well. Hopefully I can get it some time in this millennium.

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask...do you guys have any tips on litterbox training?
mommyofmany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2009, 06:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Hi! I'm new to hedgies. :)

OMG he's so cute!
Nice setup too, I like how you added the second level to the bin, but your gonna want to add sides to the ramp so he doesn't fall off and hurt himself. And you should probably check out Reaper's dry cat food list under diet and nutrition it is very informative and was a huge help to me. Welcome to hedgehog Central! and to the world of hedgehogs, I've had mine for two weeks and I just love him
funkybee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2009, 06:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Welcome to HHC! (even though I already know you )

Your hedgie is very cute.

If you are not already doing so, when you feed the superworms be sure to cut off their heads first because they can bite a hedgie from the inside

Also, like funkybee said, you will want to close off you ramp so little Neeko doesn't get hurt.

My two love both the mealies and the beetles! I just started a mealie farm and have my first mealies from the adult beetles that I've had for a few weeks. Now that they've had a taste of the good stuff, I don't think they will eat freeze dried meal worms anymore

Anyways, this is a great forum you've joined with the very best hedgehog advice that can be found. I found it immensely helpful as a new hedgie owner.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lane_m
If you are not already doing so, when you feed the superworms be sure to cut off their heads first because they can bite a hedgie from the inside
Actually, that's only a problem with lizards and not with hedgies(or with sugar gliders, which I also have). Hedgies and gliders thoroughly chew and annihilate the worms, so there's no head left. :P Lizards, on the other hand, aren't very thorough and thus the worms is able to eat it's eat it's way out of the lizard.

I farm superworms and mealies, so I had to make sure I did my homework on them before spending $50 on worms and supplies to get my superworm farm started.

However, it IS a good idea to mention that superworms can and WILL bite and might be able to hurt a hedgie, so I would recommend the heads get cut off for that reason or that the worms are dipped into icy water to temporarily shock them. Personally, I just feed my critters the worms head-first so that the head is crushed before they get a chance to try and bite.

As for the ramp, no worries, I've already replaced it with a PVC pipe.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

That's a great little cage and such a good idea for a second level. If I ever build my hedgehog a new cageI I will totally consider that set up.

As for the food. funkybee was right about reading Reapers food list, there are so many. The reason I say this is that Friskies and Purina are not the greatest foods. The % of protien and fat might be in accaptable ranges but it won't matter without quality ingredients. See even if they barely have any meat in them they can say they have protien because vegetables and grains have different types of protien (incomplete protiens) meats and dairy are the only things that have complete animal protien which is what your hedgehog should be eating. It is somewhat hard to find a low fat cat food but it can be done. Wellness healthy weight or indoor health works well when paired with a cat food lower in protien. Reapers food list have so many moor and you could even take the whole thing to a local pet store and ask them what is available from the list.

About the super worms, most hedgehogs will chew up their worms but some just gobble them so fast they basically swallow them whole, personally I wouldn't take the risk of feading live super worms (with heads) because there is always a chance it didn't quite die.

RIP Quigley, I miss you my little grumpus.
hedgielover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2009, 07:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well, you see...that's what I thought too, that foods should be the best quality possible. I had put together a list of all very good, top-quality foods(I'd been looking at foods such as felidae, CSCLS, Innova, etc...), but when I asked about it on another forum(HHW) I was told that it was BAD to feed good-quality foods because a hedgehog NEEDED the crappy foods. Then I was told a story by a bigger breeder saying how she and another big breeder had changed to good-quality foods and ended up losing a bunch of hedgies and the vet told them to go back to the crappy stuff.

So, I planned a mix with 1 cheap food(friskies), 1 OK food(Wellness or Royal Canin), and 1 GOOD food(CSCLS). I only mixed in the Purina as a temporary food for extra protein. A already had it handy because it's 1 of the foods I add to my ferrets' mix(same idea as the hedgie food: 1 good food, 1 decent food, 1 crap food...the purina is the crap one, lol), so I figured it'd be okay since it's only temporary.

So what's the truth behind what I was told on the other forum? Who is right? It's so confusing! ALMOST as confusing as sugar glider diets!
Old 08-07-2009, 10:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Bengall77

I absolutely love your cage set up! That's a great way to do a loft with the plastic bins. When Quillbert gets a tad bigger I'll have to see about copying your design. I hope everything goes well; it looks like you got a real sweetie.
Bengall77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2009, 11:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Everyone on this site will tell you to go with a good quality food. Crappy foods do not provide much nutritional value at all. I would be wary of people saying they switched and then had hedgehogs die. Did they say now they switched, what kind of food they switched too, how long it took to switch over completely, what caused the deaths (as in medical diagnosis). Without more details it's just a horror story without a factual basis.

The other thing is you do have to be careful with cat food. The lower quality stuff has all sorts of chemicals and parts of food that aren't actually food, like corn husks (if you read the list and you wouldn't eat something on it it's probably a bad food). However the higher quality stuff can be too high in protein and fat. Lots of people on here are breeders (not me but others) and most of us have a hedgehog (some are getting ready to get their first). I don't think anyone has a lost a hedgehog from switching food unless it was an allergic reaction that went unnoticed.

Finally a barrage on vets, I haven't met many that actually know what they are talking about in terms of what makes a healthy diet and animals nutritional needs, nutrition is not a required course for vet students and many do not take it upon themselves to learn about it. And yet they still feel perfectly confident to give advice to others. Even though every indication is that they don't what they are talking about.

RIP Quigley, I miss you my little grumpus.
hedgielover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2009, 02:43 AM   #9 (permalink)

All of my animals get top-quality food(don't make me whine about how much my dog's food costs! She gets the best of the best!) and I know all about the creepy thing that are in poor-quality foods, which is why it made no sense to me why a hedgie should be fed crappy foods, but the thing they said about thier hedgies dieing made me not want to risk it... I'll have to check my old posts on the other forum, but I'm pretty sure it was someone by the name of PogStar(or something like that...) that said their hedgies died from high-qulaity food. :\

Do you guys mind sharing what you feed your hedgies? I know there's no, single, "perfect" diet, but seeing what other people feed will help to to figure out what to feed my little guy based on what I can get locally(Pet Supplies Plus has just about everything, thank goodness!).
Old 08-08-2009, 02:53 AM   #10 (permalink)

General consensus is that a mix of several high quality cat foods supplemented with insects and other treats (chicken, scrambled eggs, fruits, veggies, etc.) is the best diet we can offer right now. We don't know a lot about what hedgehog nutrition requirements are, so it's best to feed a variety and hope to cover all the bases.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in