my 1st hedgie sonic - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2009, 11:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default my 1st hedgie sonic

i have just recently bought a little pygmy named sonic, im not too sure what color he is. i have had him for a week now, and i love playing with him every day, i didnt get him from a breeder, i picked him up from a pet store in Columbia MD, not just because their is no breeders that i know of around here, but because i want him to have a happy life not left out just because he was from a store and not a breeder, i know a few people around that refuse to buy animals from a pet store because they usually take bad care of them and are more prone to having health problems, but here are some pictures of my buddy sonic.

http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu15 ... /sonic.jpg

http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu15 ... sonic2.jpg

http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu15 ... sonic3.jpg

http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu15 ... sonic5.jpg

http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu15 ... sonic6.jpg

http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu15 ... sonic4.jpg
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2009, 11:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: my 1st hedgie sonic

Awww he is absolutly adorable! I would guess chocolate snowflake for the color... But you must wait the opinion of others ^^

And I think you should put him on polar tissue instead of that type of litter. He seem to have some difficulty to walk easily in all that stuff
Old 05-21-2009, 11:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0bibitte0o
Awww he is absolutly adorable! I would guess chocolate snowflake for the color... But you must wait the opinion of others ^^

And I think you should put him on polar tissue instead of that type of litter. He seem to have some difficulty to walk easily in all that stuff

I agree that looks very tuff to walk on.
As for the color if he is at least 9 weeks old take some pics and post them under color help Reaper will tell u the color if lilysmommy dont tell u 1st

Old 05-21-2009, 11:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Breeders

P.S. love the name we could never have enough Sonics
Old 05-22-2009, 12:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Congrats on Sonic! He is definitely a cutie.

I have to agree that he (and you) would probably prefer to switch to fleece liners. Doing a search in the Housing and Accessories forum will give you lots of information on that.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2009, 12:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to dorasdaddy

As far as petstore animals are concerned, I feel like it is better sometimes to sacrifice one to save many other from the poor treatment that a petstore provides. Not only do the little ones have a horrible life while in the store, new owners are sent away with very poor information and most are never properly cared for. One small case in point is the fact that in an earler post you mentioned using a hamster ball AND allowing your hedgie to play with ferrets. Hamster balls should be avoided due top the fact that there is very poor ventilation and what ventilation there is, is provided by narrow slits that can catch hedgie nails and toes and cause serious injury. Also, there is nothing to be gained from introducing your Hedgie to a ferret or your family cat. Not only can these bigger animals cause injury to your little one, they can also share other things like illness and mites. I am in no way calling you a bad owner for doing these things, but these are just two examples of some bad information that our little ones fall victim of so often. And by purchasing from a pet store it shows a potential market and therefore possibly subjects many more hedgies to improper care and poor information.. Once again, I am in no way calling you out or trying to chastize you, just simply giving my point of view on the great pet store debate.

Welcome to the boards, you little one is adorable. Please read as much as you can on these boards so you can give your little guy the long and healthy life he so richly deserves.

Chad
Old 05-22-2009, 09:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

Sonic is just adorable. Please come by often. There are some wonderful people here who can teach you so much about caring for your new little one.
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2009, 09:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

I MUST SAY YOUR HEDGEHOG IS ADORABLE, AND I DONT THINK ANYTHING BAD FOR GETTING THEM FROM A PET STORE, ITS NOT THEIR FAULT AND THEY NEED LOVE TOO BESIDES THAT, I GOT MY HEDGEHOG FROM A STORE AND THE WORKERS DIDNT EVEN KNOW THAT HEDGEHOGS PLAYED WITH TOYS, THEY TRIED TELLING ME THAT HEDGEHOGS DONT USE WHEELS OR CLIMB OR PLAY...GOOD THING I DID MY HOMEWORK!! SO YOU SHOULD TOO. WHEN IT COMES TO THE BEDDING YOU ARE USING, I USED THIS STUFF CALLED CAREFRESH FOR THE FIRST WEEK I BROUGHT NAPOLEON HOME, AND I NOTICED HOW DUSTY ALL OF IT WAS AND DIDNT WANT NAPOLEON BREATHING IT IN, I DONT THINK IT COULD BE THAT GOOD, SO NOW I LAY OUT OLD FOLDED BEDSHEETS, TOWELS, AND BLANKETS. AND FOR INSIDE HIS LITTLE CUBBY HOLE, I PUT MY SHIRTS IN THERE THAT HE CAN BURROW IN AND GET USED TO MY SMELL. TO USE THE REST OF CAREFRESH BEDDING, I PUT IT IN HIS LITTER BOX BECAUSE HE IS ALREADY USED TO POOPING IN THAT STUFF, AND IT ACTUALLY WORKED PERFECTLY, HE GOES IN HIS LITTER BOX BUT I READ A COUPLE POSTS UP ABOUT TOYS AND BALLS, NAPOLEON DOESNT LIKE USING HIS WHEEL, SO I DO LET HIM USE A BALL (NOT FOR TOO LONG AND WITH SUPERVISION) BUT HE SEEMS JUST FINE, SO ITS ALL PREFERENCE OF YOUR LITTLE HEDGIE. GOOD LUCK
Barbk917 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2009, 10:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

those were actually pictures of his bedding for about the first hour i had him, i didnt have anything else but the carefresh so i decided to use it, i read on here that some people also prefer it compared to others, and other people dont like it because of the odor, i decided not to use it, i have 3 fleece blankets placed on top of each other on the bottom of the cage which i clean twice a day, i bought several other fleece blankets that i had made into hedgie bags, and set the other blankets to the side of his cage so i can switch them out and clean them daily. and ill be sure not to use the ball anymore, it was actually a ferrit ball, one of the bigger ones, but i guess that doesnt make any differenct they still get no air. ill stop using that for sure, and as of buying him from the store, i took him to the vet the same day i picked him up since it wasnt that far away, he said that he seemed to be in perfect health, had no mites ot fleas, the only bad thing about him bas he need a massive bath, and i did that almost immediately after getting home. i read on i think this site or maybe another one that using the "no tears oatmeal" shampoo is very highly recommended for cleaning a hedgehog, it was so hard to wash his belly and legs until i decided to get my laptop and see if their was an easy way to get this area, and i thought it was pretty cool i didnt know that if you kinda pinched the neck of a hedgehog or ferrit like you would pick up a cat, it temporarily paralizes it. this made it alot easier for me to clean crust of who knows what off of his feet and ears it was actually upsetting to see something treated so badly, then i held him in a shammy and fleece blanket to warm him up, i also read that some people use blowdryers on low to dry them off, but i just didnt think that sounded so safe.

thanks for the info everyone didnt mean to reply with a novel about random stuff lol

thanks for the great info everyone^^
Old 05-22-2009, 10:56 AM   #10 (permalink)

Welcome! It's good to see that you've started in the right direction, and he's a very cute little guy I definitely agree about the towel dry vs. hair dryer, it's noisy and scary for the little guys, plus towel drying gives some extra snuggle / bonding time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in