Hedgehog Central banner

Sand

924 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Ria 
#1 ·
Well I got some sand for Holly, I've put her in for the first time.
And I was expecing her natural instinc to kick in with this sand.

Nah shes pooped and peeped and now shes just sitting there in the sand..

I didnt put in a huge amount I know that, but really I think theres enough there. Unless its just because the light is on, but she wont let us get her out now either😂

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
So took the peed on sand and poo out put in a lot more sand, made it dark, put a fleece balnket over the top to make sure its completely dark for her. And all I could hear was her rolling around in it, when I took her out to put her away she had sand all over her !! I think she liked it.
Still found some poo in there though.

#4 ·
Some hedgehogs will use their sand baths as both bathing and litter trays, unfortunately for us haha - sometimes it can be discouraged by providing two sand baths, but not always (and some will choose to use both of them as a toilet, because why not right? :rolleyes:). I mean, if anything good comes out of it, it can help contain the mess to one area for a lot of hogs - and sand baths are pretty easy to clean with a sieve, so could be worse! Glad to hear she likes it! :)

#5 · (Edited)
Yea well she seems to cover the poo in the sand, then when shes rolling she'll squish it, but it doesnt come off on her, so its not so bad really and the wet sand is sticking in one place after.
I'm glad she likes it, I though she might as the litter the breeder gave us was pretty dusty and she seemed to use that the same way she used the sand last night

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.