New Pet. - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Pet.

We got a hedgehog last night!

We've decided to name him Koloth which is a Klingon name and it's perfect because our cat is named Tiberius after Captain Kirk from the original series and Koloth was a recurring adversary of Kirk's (as well as an awesome recurring character in Deep Space 9)

So Koloth the hedgehog is an adult rescue about 2 years old. I held him last night for a little bit before letting him settle into his cage. He's skinny, He's very squirmy, he likes to wiggle and move and is one of those hedgehog's that doesn't seem to want to be held. Just from two seconds of holding him I could tell he has really bad dry skin, and his quills are really sparce. So we'll be going to the vet as soon as possible. I can't believe I'm doing this again! My Dad told me that I'm crazy and hedgehogs are so much work and I sort of see his point. I feel like I'm crazy to take it on again but you all understand me. It's like a physical need. Hedgehogs just get to be a part of you to the point where you can't not have one.

I forgot this new hedgehog owner feeling. I've been checking the temperature at regular intervals all week in the cage to make sure it would be steady when hedgie got here but now I keep convincing myself it's too cold even though the temperature gun is reading 75 or 77 around the cage and is not detecting any drafts. I kept feeling imaginary drafts all night last night, my Fiance insisted they were imaginary as he was sitting with me, but each time I got up and checked the area with my temperature gun anyway. I kept wanting to get up and play with him. He doesn't have a wheel yet so I felt so bad that he'd be bored all night and I stayed up to listening to him scurry around and dig at his cage door. Bottom line is I didn't get much sleep.

My cat is also very amused, he kept a watchful eye on the cage all night which Koloth didn't mind at all.

I wasn't expecting to have a hedgehog again so soon but he needed a home and I had a home to give so here he is. It's going to be interesting.

RIP Quigley, I miss you my little grumpus.
hedgielover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: New Pet.

Congrats! Love the Star Trek names
Old 10-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm glad he seems to be settling in well! Haha, I so have NOT been stalking HHC to see if you've posted updates :P

Lets see, I gave him a dose of Revolution after school started, so he should be fine for another precautionary dose.
And I love the name! It'll fit him much better

Now I'm going to stalk here for updates on the little guy! Though I so didn't mean for you to lose sleep!!! :P But it's also totally understandable.
Oh, and his weight earlier this week was 488g. So you have a starting point.

I'm happy for the both of you! And glad that he's in a much better home than his previous owner!
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks Larry, we like to embrace the nerdiness

Immortalia it was nice to meet you last night, thanks again for driving over here to drop him off and for finding him and being a temporary home I didn't want to bug him too much last night, I thought a car ride, meeting my cat and a new home was enough excitement. I restrained myself to sitting beside the cage. I think I would have been up all night for the first night no matter what. I was a zombie at work this morning but no-one seemed to mind. Where do you get your revolution? Can you treat adult cats and hedgehogs with the same kind just different doses? It would be good to combine buying meds if I can. His quills seem to be falling out from the root they still have a root attached so I'm thinking it could be some kind of skin infection and not mites. He also doesn't seem to be scratching. Or it could just be really dry skin and we'll need a strict skin care routine. We'll figure it out.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

I got my Revolution from work, before I had to quit for school. I just stole a drop from my cat's dose (so yes, the same can be used for both)
The strength of the Revolution is the same in Cat and Kitten, the only difference is the amount. So they are essentially the exact same. So you can order the Cat one for your own cat, and just steal a drop like I did.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I literally squealed when I saw this - I was NOT expecting a hedgehog! That's awesome that you've been captured by a hedgie again and he's going to have a fantastic home now!! Can't wait to see pictures and get more updates!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Cool thanks Immortalia I will do that.

Kelsey I was not expecting our next pet to be a hedgehog either! It's nice to hear that you are excited for us though. I will post pictures of our cage and Koloth soon.

It's still early days but for the moment our cat seems unfazed which was a big concern of mine I wasn't sure how territorial or predatory the cat would be towards the hedgehog so far he's showing signs of neither.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

Koloth having bath time supervised by humans and a cat.

IMG_1489

I got to sneak in some petting.

IMG_1490

Old 10-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Love the cat watching too! Kitty's a gorgeous boy too - I love orange cats! All of our orange cats at Wildside seem to have the most uh...personality. Little mischief-makers!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Awww I'm glad he's settling in! It was good to meet you the other day. Keep posting pictures and updates of the new guy!
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in