The best reason to work at a petstore? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sweetergrrrl
Exclamation The best reason to work at a petstore?

So about 2 months ago I had a lady walk into the petstore I work at (Petco) and grabbed the single bag od Sunseed Hedgehog food. I was luckily at the register and immediately called someone up to cover me so I could figure out the lady's situation. Her friend was going to give her a hedgehog that she was planning on using on a classroom pet. -_-; I told her, flat out (but in a nice way) that it probably wasn't going to work out and that I will be working 6 days a week for a while. Sure enough, this past Saturday the store got a call from the lady, the hedgie wasn't working out.

I called her back that same day while I was there to do some dog trainer training. I told her that i would be working from 3 to 8 the next day and she immediately agreed to bring him over. She doesn't know his age, didn't even know if it was a boy or girl! But it turns out Twitchy (that changed immediately) is a boy and he is TINY. He seems to be healthy, skin looks good, and he has been on the Innova cat food I sold her when she came in. She GAVE me EVERYTHING for him. Cage, food, playpen, the bowls, wheel, igloo, litter box. You name it. He will be getting an upgrade with his wheel and most likely his cage. I want to make a C&C now that I have the two boys. I did go out and buy him some cute fleece and got rid of the funky-shreded tissure paper bedding she had him on.

But I am so used to having Link who is about the size of a grapefruit now lol. This baby boy seems really young, but he has some pretty pinto spots and is MUCH more friendly than Link has ever been. Probably thanks to all the ruckus from a classroom.

I am going to try and get some pics of him to post on here, maybe some comparrison pics of my two boys. (I was hoping for a girl lol) But He is settling in, has a poopy wheel and LOVES to knock over his food bowl lol.

His name is Navi now. (I know Navi is a girl) But Link seems like he needed a psudo-sidekick lol. As long as he doesn't start to say "Hey" I think we will be all good.

Fingers crossed: Pics to follow!

sweetergrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 04:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: The best reason to work at a petstore?

Lucky!

I don't know why they even sell that hedgehog food at the pet stores. I was just there comparing new foods for Fitz and a girl came up to help me so I explained what I was doing. She immediately took me to the hedgehog food. I flat out said "yeah that stuff isn't good for hedgehogs, I'll stick with cat food, thanks." I'm glad someone who works there knows better.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, a few times a year we have the reptile shows that come to the area and some of them have hedgie breeders that sell to people who have NO idea what they are getting into. I do what I can to get them to this site, I give them the store phone number and my e-mail and tell them that is they have any questions to call. None of them have yet but, hopefully some of them come to the site for information.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdid
Lucky!

I don't know why they even sell that hedgehog food at the pet stores. I was just there comparing new foods for Fitz and a girl came up to help me so I explained what I was doing. She immediately took me to the hedgehog food. I flat out said "yeah that stuff isn't good for hedgehogs, I'll stick with cat food, thanks." I'm glad someone who works there knows better.

Ugh, I've had that happen to me before. They try to be so helpful but urg.

Sweetergrrrl it's so cool that you get a chance to help people with their hedgehogs I hope that it pays off for them and the hedgehog. Also keep us updated about your new little one it's such a cool story and it sounds like you're enjoying him.

RIP Quigley, I miss you my little grumpus.
hedgielover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm so glad you were able to rescue him! I agree, one of the best things about working at a pet store (among the many bad things...for me, anyway) is helping owners to learn more (with CORRECT information) and things like this. While I was working at my store, I got a chance to give a hedgehog owner some recommendations about food and bedding. And even after I was done working at the store? My store manager still had my contact information and got transferred to another store after ours closed. She called me this summer about a guy who'd come into her store wanting to know if they could sell his hedgehog for him. She called me right away and gave me his contact info and I was able to get her from him as a rescue. She went to a fantastic home with an older member of these forums, and I was so excited to be part of helping her.

Can't wait to see pictures of little Navi, the lucky little boy!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

That is so exciting! I love hearing these happy stories. Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to see more pics of Navi.

My Blog! http://mytutorlist.blogspot.com
MurE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thats Link in all his chunky glory. He is a fatty, but is on a diet/excercise regimine lol.

Little Navi. He hated how the green mat felt on his feetsies.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Awww, so cute!

My Blog! http://mytutorlist.blogspot.com
MurE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

Aw, how lucky of you and him both to end up together!!! Hes cute..like his new name too!
PokeyCutie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in