Outside play - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Poppy_the_hedgie

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2017, 02:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Outside play

Hi everyone. Now that the weather is getting warmer, I began to think of the idea of outside playtime with Poppy. Obviously I wouldn't take her out unless the weather was perfect but I have some questions for when that day comes.
Is it safe to let her run in the grass or would I have to lay down a blanket? Would she eat random bugs or would she get infested/bit by a bug?
I would be taking her out in the daytime when it's warmest so would this mess up her sleep/light schedule?
There are a lot of hawks in my neighborhood so would I have to get Poppy some sort of pen to protect her? I would be constantly watching her but predator birds still scare me.
Would it just be better to hold her in my lap so she can still get fresh air but is safe?
What temperature outside would you consider safe to take her out? Or is it the same as the cage?

Thank you so much! Any experience with outside play is appreciated? Did your hedge like it or is it just a waste?
Poppy_the_hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2017, 07:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

In the grass is fine as long as you know it isn't sprayed with pesticides or other chemicals. Try to avoid letting her eat bugs, but it's not likely to be a massive issue if she happens to nab one by accident - the main risks are that they could have pesticides or parasites, but one or two isn't a HUGE risk.

It'll depend on Poppy whether being out in the day will bother her. Some hedgies think it's still great, some are outraged at the bright light & just want to burrow someplace & go back to sleep.

I wouldn't bother with a pen unless it's something with a lid or cover on it - the best way you're going to prevent a raptor from taking a pass at her is by sticking close & keeping an eye out. Don't let her get far from you - your presence is more likely to discourage predators & you can quickly get over her if one comes anywhere near.

I would wait until it's at least close to 80, personally. Also wait until it's been warm for a couple weeks, at least - the ground takes more time to warm up. Likewise, take her out in the afternoon or early evening, so there's been plenty of time for wet grass to dry up & the ground/grass will be warmer.

Lily didn't have a very high opinion of outdoor adventures, but I do have a couple photoshoots where she was willing to go exploring. I haven't tried taking either of my current girls out yet, but I'm hoping to this summer!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2017, 03:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the info! It will be interesting to see what little Poppy does in the big outside world!
Lilysmommy likes this.
Poppy_the_hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in