Po' Boy's official thread - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2012, 11:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Lightbulb Po' Boy's official thread

I just wanted to give you guys an update on Po' Boy, and in relation Kashi. Specifically about how different each of their personalities are. I guess I anticipated temperamental differences, but even their schedules are different too!

Things I have noticed about Po' Boy within the past month or so that I've had him is that... well, there is definitely a reason why he's so chubby

Not only was he on kitten food, this chubster wakes up periodically throughout the day to eat! I thought maybe it's because he didn't have a proper light schedule before, so his perception of day/night was all messed up... but I was wrong. He's had a steady light schedule for a month now, and he will come out to eat around twice during the day

He's also not as secretive as Kashi in his cage. While Kashi sleeps in his igloo on his side (and absolutely refuses to sleep out in the open), Po' Boy, in short, does not care who sees him I will usually find him faceplanting on TOP of his snuggle sack instead of inside. Of course, when he hears a human approach, though, he's a hissing fussy ball of quills

Po' Boy is also a decorator. Kashi keeps all of his things neatly where I placed them (besides dragging his bunny stuffy into his house at times, or flinging it in his cage somewhere).... but not Po' Boy. Po' Boy must always redecorate. Where ever I place the food dish and the water dish is NOT good enough. Nor is where I keep his wheel! He pushes the wheel away from the wall towards the middle of the cage so that he can go potty in the corner He will also push his litter (he came with a bag of recycled newspaper bedding like Yesterday's News), in to the corner where he poops.

As far as temperament, Po' Boy is most definitely the more dramatic He's slowly coming around. I managed to clip the nails on one of his feet the other day, so that's awesome progress. It took a lot of coaxing. I've found that he does not mind getting his chubby tummy rubbed. He makes less of a fuss than Kashi about it, but he still hisses in protest. He is also a lot messier when I take hm out for bonding Kashi does not usually "go" on me, but Po' Boy will go just about anywhere I don't know if it's fear related, but my boyfriend definitely did not appreciate Po' Boy anointing with his sheets, then pooping, then peeing, on his bed

I let him explore (he seems more like an explorer than Kashi). He will only do this if he is "hiding" though... so I put a light flannel towel on top of him so that he can be "inconspicuous"

So here's a picture to go along with the long post. This is Po' Boy being Mr Covert Ops (AKA exploring "inconspicuously")

Old 03-21-2012, 12:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Po' Boy's official thread

Yay! I've been wondering how Po Boy was doing...... Sooooo funny! What a character! Just like having kids-- you think you have it all figured out, then the second one comes along..... Can't wait to hear more about his adventures!
readthebook2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 12:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

Awwwww look at that little face..he is such a cutie
atichy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 01:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

Awe....that's so cute! It is so cool to see their different personalities. Harvey seems to have no schedule at all, except to sleep during the time the light is on. He will wheel at different times through the night (but he does like to run a lot). Izzy is out of her bed at 9:00 when the light goes off. She nibbles, drinks, wheels, nibbles some more. She's doesn't run as much as Harvey, but she likes her dig box. Po' Boy is adorable and I love that picture of him under the sheet.

~Everyone deserves a forever home.~

Rainy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 04:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

Po' Boy is a little stunner. And that picture should be next to the definition of 'inconspicuous' in the dictionary!

How is his weight loss going?

This message was brought to you by Mildred the Hedgehog's slave, Hannah! ^.^
hanhan27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

He is just adorable!!! I love his Mr. Covert Ops picture!!!
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

Sounds like an interesting boy! Love the picture.
Nebular is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 08:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Oh Po'Boy, you are so stealthy!
Old 03-21-2012, 09:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by readthebook2
Yay! I've been wondering how Po Boy was doing...... Sooooo funny! What a character! Just like having kids-- you think you have it all figured out, then the second one comes along..... Can't wait to hear more about his adventures!
Seriously! I didn't realize how different hedgehogs could be! It's been really fun discovering all the little quirks Po' Boy has. Kashi is so well-behaved so it's been quite fun getting to know one with such an attitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanhan27
Po' Boy is a little stunner. And that picture should be next to the definition of 'inconspicuous' in the dictionary!

How is his weight loss going?
Weight loss has not been going so well He still can't roll up in a full ball, but he has dropped a few grams. I think maybe it just depends on when I weigh him though We'll keep trying. I'm afraid to put him on an even lower fat food because he has dry skin >_>

Thanks everyone! I'm going to keep working with him. Hopefully he will become as trusting as Kashi one day ^_^
Old 03-21-2012, 10:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'm so glad you started this thread. I think about you and your two a lot. Hope everyone is well. My Persephone is about as opposite Po' Boy as she can be. She is 237 grams as of yesterday and Is almost 6 months. I can't keep weight on her so it fascinates me to see Po' Boy and hear how adventurous he is! And how he has no trouble keeping weight on

hedgieluv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in