Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fun Stuff (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Weirdest thing your hedgie has ever done? (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14769)

32432632343 02-09-2012 02:52 PM

Weirdest thing your hedgie has ever done?

So my little guy has been with me for 5 days and I'm already noticing his weird routines. His most consistent one is right when lights go out. When they go out, he has to run down his tube once, eat (While standing in his water dish :roll: ) run back through his tube, run on his wheel for a bit and then repeat it. No matter how I arrange his dishes, he ALWAYS has to be standing in the water dish when he eats.

What's your story?

MGSpikers 02-09-2012 10:36 PM

Re: Weirdest thing your hedgie has ever done?

We have many strange hedgehog stories here at the Rescue, after taking long term care of over 330 of them. One of the most unusual was our skydiving hedgehog, Thelma, the second hedgehog we took in, in 1996. Our first two hedgehogs (long before we bacame a rescue), Flash and Thelma had free range all over the house. One night when I came home and entered the living room, I saw a falling form from the second floor and heard a "thud." What happened was that Thelma had walked off the second floor balcony and had fallen to the first floor. I was horrified, thinking she had been seriously injured. But, she got up, shook herself, and waddled off, none the worse for wear. She and her buddy Flash lived on the first floor. The next day I saw her climb the stairs and repeat the episode, again diving off of the balcony. I came to find out this was a daily routine for her and each time she would do a perfect tuck and roll. Thelma was an Algerian hedgehog that was born in Africa, most probably Niger as she was purchased in a Maryland pet store in 1993. Perhaps in her native land she was used to diving off of rocks as a sort of sporting activity.

Kalandra 02-10-2012 08:54 AM

I have always loved that story and found it fascinating.

I find it more fascinating as time goes on because of the minor (or maybe not so minor) differences in instincts and behaviors we saw in the first generation of pets (the wild hedgehogs, like Thelma, who were imported), and many of today's generations. While Thelma still had the instinct to ball up and roll when she fell, we see more and more reports on this forum and elsewhere of pets that just land in a thud and never curl up at all. And sadly get injured because of it.

kshadbolt 02-10-2012 02:19 PM

Tatonka 'tonka' does the weirdest things. One, he loves putting his head in a corner and sleeping, he reminds me of a kindergartner that just got put in time out. :lol: Two, when he runs in his wheel he will put his litter on the wheel and start running. Then he will wait till all the litter has fallen off, goes to take a drink of water ad maybe a snack then puts litter back on his wheel, runs until it falls off and repeats the process over and over. It's the funniest thing ever!!