My new little girl - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2016, 11:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default My new little girl

I just got my new little girl Penelope Piper on wednesday from the breeder and she is wonderful! She balled up and bit me the first day I got her but has been so sweet ever since. I even took her to meet my residents at work and she didn't once ball up or protest. The stress of moving didn't stop her from eating either. First thing she did was check out wheel then straight to the food bowl. They told me she was quilling when I got her and she still isn't really cranky! She scratches all the time though. I was worried she had mites but I think it is her quilling? Oh yeah, and she goes to the bathroom a lot but her cute face makes cleaning up after her worth it. Love my little girl!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Penelope.jpg (238.4 KB, 30 views)
slh12280 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2016, 11:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

So cute! Great picture, too! How old is she? Penelope Piper is probably just quilling, but scratching all the time might also be a sign of mites. What bedding is she on? What bedding did the people you bought her from have her on?

If she is at an age when quilling normally occurs that's probably all it is.

Prudence's Proud Mum Since February 2016

I share my home with one, big, slobbery dog, a ragdoll, a blind domestic shorthair, a slinky tabby, one crowntail betta, a double tail halfmoon betta, and our latest quilled addition... Prudence!
Prue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2016, 12:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

She is on fleece now but the breeder I think had her on some type of bedding, not sure what. She is 6, almost 7 weeks old. They said she is in her second quilling and she has the lost quills to show for it. You can see the new ones poking through.

She loves to come out in the daytime, after she wakes up and explores a bit. I let her eat, drink and potty then she goes right back to sleep on my chest. She even chirped today

Old 04-23-2016, 12:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

She is most likely quilling. They can scratch a bunch from it. Her scratching should be more laid back, like oooh this feels good, type of scratch rather than a quick/sudden scatch, like if she is walking along she will suddenly stop and scratch very frantically at a spot.

The first is more indicative that a quill is out of place, or her skin itches from quilling. I have had a couple now that within about 5 minutes of them waking up and moving around they would stop and scratch. A nice long, laid back scratch. They did it throughout their lives. I always assumed it was there way of grooming quills to get them back into place.

The latter tends to show up with mites.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2016, 08:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Looks like you got her from the same breeder I got my Prim! Granite State Hedgehogs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sarahgx__ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2016, 01:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Sarahgx__;847057]Looks like you got her from the same breeder I got my Prim! Granite State Hedgehogs?

Yup I live in New Hampshire so it was my closest option. When I lived in Vermont it was still my closest option but still to far so I didn't have a hedgie for a while. Now I just have to make sure to find apartments that are good with her.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in