I had to throw out my soap. - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Katten
  • 2 Post By Soyala_Amaya

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2016, 11:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Cool I had to throw out my soap.

Just a funny story that happened to me.

My mom gave me a bar of this really nice handmade soap that she bought. It smells fruity, but I didn't think it was too strong. I washed my hands and face with it in the morning, and then I went to the pet store.

At the pet store, they had two hedgehogs. One hedgie was being a grumpybum, and the other was super outgoing and curious. There were kids there, and they seemed like they were interested but scared. There was also a dad there that had no idea how to touch them. I decided I'd teach them about hedgehogs. I put my hand under the outgoing one and lifted it up and started petting it.

The hedgehog sniffed my hand, and then it bulged its eyes and extended its face with its visor down like they do when you dangle a mealworm in front of their faces. Then it LATCHED onto my finger and started grinding its teeth and pulling with its neck.

This scared the kids and the dad was concerned for me, but I assured him that it didn't hurt too bad (although it did). I tried to pull the hedgehog gently off of my hand, but it just kind of went limp when I pulled on it, and then when I let go it bit harder. xD Eventually I dipped my spare hand in its water and splashed some on its nose and it let go. I was bleeding.

After the hedgehog incident, I noticed a petstore employee holding a chinchilla. I asked if I could pet it, and she said yes. I let it sniff me and... the chinchilla bit me too! Just as fiercely as the hedgehog.

After the pet store, I went home, washed my hands, and started setting up the new stuff I bought for Coconut the hedgehog and Lola the hamster. Lola was awake, so I picked her up.

Lola was born to one of my hamsters in January 2013, making her two years and one month old. I've handled her since she was a week old, and she's incredibly gentle and has never bitten me before.

As soon as I picked Lola up, she bit me! Hard!

At that point, it dawned on me that the soap I was using was fruity and that I probably smelled like a yoghurt drop. Haha. I tossed it. No more critter bites. The end.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

You became pet snack! Lol. Sorry you can't use the soap anymore.

Ichiro loves getting under mischief and sleeping there and the only times he bites me is when I try to pet him and he is too comfortable to be bother.. Then I keep letting him moving my hand away from his mouth and he then gives up and pushes his face into my hand and rests it there and continues sleeping. He is a cuddle bug.
Artemis-Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2016, 12:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

thats why I use ivory. its actually my dertamologist recommends not to mention its one of the few soaps that are non scented.
AZHedgies_Eric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 03:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

That sucks I'm sorry you kept getting bit
Old 02-25-2016, 04:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ha ha, when I took the Pancake to the vet to do her bloodwork, she was an angry ball of hate...until the vet tech tried to pick her up. Apparently she had a lotion or perfume on that was AMAZING and Pancake spent the rest of the visit trying to lick/bite her. I have amazing vet people and she kept switching Petunia around and letting her lick so Dr Peuser could examine her
FinnickHog and Leeloosmommy like this.

Soyala_Amaya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2016, 02:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

I just opened this section of the forum to write a post on kind of the same topic when I bumped into your post!

My hedgie is allways very cuddly and affectionate. He never bit me, not even during his first days after I brought him home. One evening last week I brought him out for our daily play and cuddle time and from the moment I had him in my hands till the moment I put him back in his cage, he kept on biting me where ever he could. Not really hard, but hard enough for me to put an extra blanket between us :joy:

I thought it might had something to do with his quilling or just some kind of 'off day'. A few nights ago however, he really tried to eat me again! :joy: Then I realized both nights I just took a shower before getting him. So my smell must have been totallly different to him and maybe he didn't even recognize it (or me)!

Long story short: I don't dare to take showers anymore before cuddletime :joy:
Aurora81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in