What first got you interested in Hedgehogs? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation What first got you interested in Hedgehogs?

Hey everybody! Hope everyones day is going well.

I have been wondering to myself what initially started my interest (more or less obsession ) with hedgehogs. Personally I would say it would be when my family got a sega genesis from Santa nearly 20 years ago which came with the original "Sonic the Hedgehog" video game. Shortly after... It started, I was soon able to beat Sonic 1, 2, and 3 with ease before my 7th birthday (my older sisters still can't do this! ), and I then began collecting hedgehog related objects including anything and everything relating to my favorite hero.

It wasn't until I was in grade 5 when I visited a friends house that I finally got to see and hold an actual APH. I was over the moon, I couldn't believe you could have one as a pet! That only seemed to add fuel to the fire and after years of begging my parents and telling them that I was mature enough to have my very own (many heated arguments later I might add ... ) that they decided to let me do so! It was not until I was 18 where they said, "do whatever you want, you are 100% responsible and we will not give you any funding regarding your decision". That was easily one of the happiest days of my life, six months passed and after educating myself to the point where I would get headaches reading information about APH's on the Internet... I finally brought little Pazu home, my love of hedgehogs has since only grew and will only continue to grow as I learn more about them!

Well that was my story... But I would love to hear about yours! Share and discuss!

Old 11-10-2011, 06:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: What first got you interested in Hedgehogs?

To be honest, I was introduced to hedgehogs through one of those cute animal picture pages that came up when I was on StumbleUpon (AKA the best time wasting website ever!). I had been thinking about getting a small pet for about a year, but had absolutely no idea what to get. I was intrigued that hedgehogs could be kept as pets and started researching them.

I was basically obsessed with the idea of having a hedgehog almost immediately after starting my research, especially after finding these forums. I found
Felix in an EBay Classifieds ad and waited patiently until I had everything I needed to adopt him.

lehaley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 07:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Christemo

I've always been interested in little things with spikes.. no lie. I've kept puffers, and as soon as I saw a picture of one of these guys I fell in love.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/tranquills
Check out Tranquills for all your hedgehog needs! Including... TUTUS!
https://christineschramm.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
Christemo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 07:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

My mom sent me an email of the pictures that baby hedgehog that are popular. It's the cutest thing I may have ever seen and I decided at that instant that I wanted one. I was lonely then and I wanted something I could take care of and love to death. Plus I thought I was being unique with a pet like that. So I read up a little, found this site. I didn't think my parents ( correction: my step mom would) would get me one and so one day I came home from school about a week before Christmas and I stumbled in on my step mom, niece and step brother putting together her cage and holding her ( my dad had no idea either). They didn't hide it very well but the rest is history
Old 11-10-2011, 07:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

I first saw hedgehogs on youtube I found them really interesting so I started do research on them as pets and I fell in love

CourtneyFaye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 08:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehaley
To be honest, I was introduced to hedgehogs through one of those cute animal picture pages that came up when I was on StumbleUpon (AKA the best time wasting website ever!). I had been thinking about getting a small pet for about a year, but had absolutely no idea what to get. I was intrigued that hedgehogs could be kept as pets and started researching them.

I was basically obsessed with the idea of having a hedgehog almost immediately after starting my research, especially after finding these forums. I found
Felix in an EBay Classifieds ad and waited patiently until I had everything I needed to adopt him.
Hahah I used to go on that site wayyy to often... It was unhealthy. I know what you mean though, after like... Ten minutes of research online I was like... -yeah... this is gunn a happen-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christemo
I've always been interested in little things with spikes.. no lie. I've kept puffers, and as soon as I saw a picture of one of these guys I fell in love.
Like... puffer fish? That's so cool! At a gigantic mall where I live they have aquariums near the skating rink and I always used to go look at the puffer fish... They never seemed to puff up though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpercz
My mom sent me an email of the pictures that baby hedgehog that are popular. It's the cutest thing I may have ever seen and I decided at that instant that I wanted one. I was lonely then and I wanted something I could take care of and love to death. Plus I thought I was being unique with a pet like that. So I read up a little, found this site. I didn't think my parents ( correction: my step mom would) would get me one and so one day I came home from school about a week before Christmas and I stumbled in on my step mom, niece and step brother putting together her cage and holding her ( my dad had no idea either). They didn't hide it very well but the rest is history
Hahah aww... Baby hedgehogs are so adorable! That's a great story though, glad to see you have such a great step mom! Must have been such a good surprise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyFaye
I first saw hedgehogs on youtube I found them really interesting so I started do research on them as pets and I fell in love
Yes of course the YouTube hedgehog videos... I hope you're talking about the "cute thing of the day" video where it shows a whole bunch of yawning baby hedgehogs. Always melts my heart!
Old 11-10-2011, 09:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rescue

i am a huge into herps (reptiles and amphibians), i was going get a blood python and my one female friend kept insisting i get something cute like a chinchilla. i said if i was going get any warm blooded animal it would be a hedgehog. the thought of getting one stayed in my head and a couple months later i got one. i never loved a pet this much in my life and i have had A LOT of pets!
jerseymike1126 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 09:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rescue

by the way pokey...i guess we think a like because my hedgie is named pokey
jerseymike1126 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 10:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymike1126
i am a huge into herps (reptiles and amphibians), i was going get a blood python and my one female friend kept insisting i get something cute like a chinchilla. i said if i was going get any warm blooded animal it would be a hedgehog. the thought of getting one stayed in my head and a couple months later i got one. i never loved a pet this much in my life and i have had A LOT of pets!
Haha well I am very happy you decided to get a hedgehog! They truly are amazing, I myself have had animals since I could remember, and I would have to agree... not one pet has been as rewarding as my hedgehog. They have such an interesting personality and loveable nature. Did you end up getting a ball python? I myself am very interested in herps and I have heard amazing things about ball pythons, I definitely would love to own one once I am more finiancially stable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymike1126
by the way pokey...i guess we think a like because my hedgie is named pokey
Haha what a great name! Great minds think alike, clearly hedgehogs and names are not the only thing we share in common lol!
Old 11-10-2011, 10:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Christemo

Yeah... puffers aren't supposed to puff up. It seriously stresses them out and they could die from it.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/tranquills
Check out Tranquills for all your hedgehog needs! Including... TUTUS!
https://christineschramm.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Home
Christemo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in