Just Another Hedgehog (and other goodies) Blog! - Page 10 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree182Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2016, 02:00 AM   #91 (permalink)

I started out on Zoloft, and that was baaaaad. I got every single side effect it has listed, even the weird rare ones. It really just depends on the person, and the doctors never seem to guess right the first time. There are tons of other options out there if you decide to try another one!

Haha, egging each other on might be worth it. I'm planning on starting tonight if I can't sleep, or tomorrow after my appointment. I asked the boyfriend and he said he'd love a little booklet of pet directions just in case. I've been stalling because SOMEONE dropped dry flaked fish food in the printer a few years ago and it hasn't worked properly since... It might have been me . Just means I have to get off my butt and go to Staples to print everything, so it's not a big a hassle as I'm making it out to be. It's at the top of my to do list, really!

Honestly your trouble with Pancake along with Pepper's reaction to her water bottle were what set me on the right path. I was almost convinced it was an eye infection and then I was thinking about Finn because I hadn't played with him yet, which switched to Pancake, and then everything just clicked, so off I ran to get some Pedialyte. So Pancake's difficulties lately totally helped Pepper and I out.

She's currently screaming at the back of my head. Her eyes look a little sunken still, but much better. They're all the way open and they're shiny. Still no bad side effects from the dehydration. She's drinking about 5ml of the Pedialyte every two hours. I put some in her new bottle and she wouldn't touch it, so I switched to water and she still won't touch it. She may have a grudge against bottles now, which I can understand. Once I'm done typing here I'll go and find a spare hook-on bowl and try that.

If I had to force feed her I probably would have just taken her to the vet. I've syringe fed baby birds of all types but they always took it willingly. I think you'd need a narrow tube attached to the syringe and then you'd have to stuff that into their crop, which is really sensitive. I'm definitely not comfortable there. I tried feeding her the Pedialyte on the side of her beak like she was a baby, but she informed me that "I can do it MYSELF!" and just licked the droplets off the end of the syringe with her tongue. It's working, so I'll take it, but it looks ridiculous and it's so slow. The attitude is still in tact despite the dehydration, and that's fine with me.

If the raptors held a grudge, we'd have a tougher time rehabilitating them, I'll bet. Imagine an angry hawk with a parrot's brain. You wouldn't be able to get near it!

Okay, and now, snake pics! Aki took the rest of his shed off himself, so I'm super proud of him! Illidan's came off in four chunks, as usual, but it all came off. Sherlock and Kerrigan were perfect. I didn't get a shot of Sherlock because he's really tough to photograph, and the one where he's in a ball is pretty much the same idea.

The skins:

Akihiko:

Illidan:

And Kerrigan:

I wanted to get Kerrigan's scales too, but she's not really one for holding still like the pythons are. Everybody is so shiny!

And here's Oz saying "y u sneks?! y u not doge!?"
octopushedge likes this.
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2016, 07:47 AM   #92 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Yay pictures!!! Everyone is so gorgeous...though even with as stunning as the other two are, Illidan still made me smile the most. I'm such a sucker for ball python faces! I love the feel of their skin after they've shed as well. They're so smooth & soft! And Oz is adorable as always.

Yeah, I'm going to be asking about other medications to try once I find someone to go talk to. The last three months have convinced me to give it another try & see if something else works better. Waiting & hoping things would calm down or go away isn't working...had to give a try, though.

I'm glad Pepper's feeling better! And that Pancake's troubles were able to give you a clue on what was going on. Kind of funny that a hedgehog forum would end up helping a parrot too! She sounds like Pancake too - when I was trying to force the syringe into her mouth, she was pretty cranky about it. Once she realized it was yummy food & she was hungry, she was more than happy to take it if I keep the syringe just inside her lip & let her lap it down.

I have to leave the house to print my stuff too, once I type it up. We don't have a printer, but there's one at my roomie's mom's house. Not far away, but still kills motivation! My roommate would definitely love instructions though, they told me if I disappeared on them, they'd be calling Jackie in a panic, going "PLEASE COME DEAL WITH HEDGEHOGS". At least the snake & crabs would be fine left to their own devices for a couple days!

And uh yeah, great horned owls are bad enough as it is. They don't need to be smarter!!! They already have the "I'm bigger and badder than you and how DARE you touch me!!" thing going on. I love them and think it's hilarious, but they're definitely formidable birds. They'd take over the world if they had parrot brains!
FinnickHog likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2016, 06:22 PM   #93 (permalink)

I would totally show up. I love your hedgehogs.
Lilysmommy likes this.

Soyala_Amaya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 07:38 AM   #94 (permalink)

Just a quick update on Miss Pepper. She's all back to normal now. I caught the dehydration before it did any lasting damage. For the rest of her life (25-30 years) I will be meticulously checking her water bottle nozzle. Changing the water daily and washing the bottle wasn't helping with the food blockage. And in regards to that, she's right back to stuffing her Harrison's pellets into the nozzle again. So I learned a lot and she learned nothing at all . I'm just glad she's okay. I was so mad at myself when I realized what had happened.

Everybody else is doing great! Finn is still loving the food and his fur is actually a little shiny now. Next time the sun comes out I'll try to get a quick picture.

The increased Celexa dosage is helping 100%, so it's back to business as usual around here. I'm stuck with what I'm supposed to be working on (a fantasy/realism hybrid novel) so I'm going to be doing some writing exercises for the next few days. I'm going to do a hedgehog one and I'll post it once I'm finished.

Also, I'm transferring my emergency pet sheets to a usb drive to print as we speak. Now it's your turn, Kelsey!
Lilysmommy and twobytwopets like this.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:17 AM   #95 (permalink)

Kerrigan ate for me last night! I bought a giant bag of black hopper-sized mice at the reptile show last year when I picked up Akihiko, thinking they would be the right size for him. He, of course, ate one and went "yuck, I'd rather eat live". I thought nothing of it until I gave one to Rocket as a treat and she wouldn't eat it either. So then I gave a small one to Sherlock and he downed it, but he would eat my fingers if they weren't attached to my hand.

After that I decided they were probably okay and put them aside in the freezer to test with Aki periodically. He never ate another one. And then I got Kerrigan and I left her two, as per her breeder's directions. She didn't touch them. And then she went white so I figured she wasn't hungry so I let her shed. I fed her again yesterday, another black hopper, and she didn't eat. She was tongue flicking up a storm, and poking it with her nose, but she wouldn't grab it. Exactly like what Akihiko does when I offer him one. So I tossed it and grabbed one of Sherlock's fuzzies - a nice big one - and I set it in front of her. She ate before I even put the lid on and she's supposedly quite a shy eater. So there has to be something wrong with that big bag of hoppers. I still have 20 or so left, but I guess I'll toss them. I have no idea what could be wrong. I bought them from one of the big frozen reptile food retailers at the Edmonton show, but I guess they must be off somehow.

So that was what I learned yesterday! I'll have to try Akihiko on hoppers again once I get some fresh ones. The poor guys are asking "why do you keep offering me this garbage!?" and I had no idea. *facepalm*
Lilysmommy likes this.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:24 PM   #96 (permalink)
Super Moderator

That's so weird that no one liked the hoppers! I wonder what could've been wrong. Kind of funny that Sherlock didn't care at all though. At least it couldn't have been anything that wrong if it didn't hurt him at all! I'm glad Kerrigan ate for you in the end, and hopefully Aki will be willing to try some different ones.

And yeah, my emergency sheets aren't likely to get done for a couple weeks yet...I'll explain why in a new thread I'm posting shortly.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:42 PM   #97 (permalink)

I'll pick a whole bunch of fresh mice up at the expo next month, and hopefully that'll help. For now they can all share the ones I got from the pet store out here, I guess. Aki just had a live one, but next week I'll offer him a frozen one from this other batch and see what happens.

I haven't made it out to the big garter nest yet, because there's a stinkin' nail in the sidewall of our car's rear left tire. Canadian Tire, being the marvelous gents they are, took the tire off to look, told us what the problem was, ordered us a new tire we didn't want, and then didn't torque the tire when they put it back on. So the car can't safely go above 100km/h. Which means we're stuck in town until Kal Tire (we got mad and went somewhere else in the end) gets our new tire in.

But! That being said, I took Oz for a walk around our little crappy lake yesterday. It's surrounded by houses and businesses, but it has a little walking path right next to the water. We were on the back side of the lake where there's a hill being supported by wooden blocks, and then a big house. Well. Under those wooden blocks and likely surrounding the underside of the house is a garter nest. I know because as we were walking by, the ground was writing with snakes. It was amazing! They were doing the whole snake pile rubbing against each other thing, and slithering up and down the hill to sunbathe. It was so cool. Since it was a total fluke, I only had my cell phone, but I did get a few pictures of one of the snakes I moved off the path.

Here he is:

Tummy shot:

Back stripe:

Side stripe:

And his sweet widdle face:

I'm guessing the nest has been there a while, because the long-time locals were walking past me like nothing was even happening, and the snakes didn't care at all even when I got right up in their nest. The one I snagged just slithered through my fingers and wrapped around my wrist for warmth. I'm tempted to go back today and see if they're all warmed up, but it was so hard to walk away without a snake in my pocket last time I'm not sure I can do it again .

For anyone curious, these are right on the Mirror Lake path in Camrose, Alberta. They're the Common Garter Snake, Thamnophis sirtalis, and these ones have some of the nicest coloring I've ever seen. The pictures are an exact representation of color on these guys.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:36 PM   #98 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car troubles suck! I hope the new tire place treats you better than Canadian Tire.

That garter snake is gorgeous! I've never looked at them much, but have been seeing more pictures posted in my bio-active group recently and think they're so pretty with their colored stripes. I bet the whole nest was super cool to see.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:17 PM   #99 (permalink)

I've only ever seen one wild snake in Alberta before this week, so I was pretty excited even if they are just garters . Living in Calgary was lame for snakes and I never had any luck when I was traveling. I'm prone to finding frogs, which is awesome too, but snakes are my passion.

Well I went back, and they're still pouring out the holes where the nest must be. The grass around the area is flat from so much slithering happening. I won't load the whole thread up with garter pics but there are a ton uploaded to my photobucket if anyone is interested. This one picture though, I have to share.

I lold.

I've gotta go make skink and hog food now, and then I'll see if Finn is up for a photoshoot. He's so shiny now with the new diet!
Lilysmommy likes this.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:21 PM   #100 (permalink)

Today it is 30 degrees Celsius in the sun! It's so nice out I decided to wake poor Finnick up and do a photoshoot outside so you guys can see how shiny he is! This was his first time outside since I had hawks, eagles, and owls in my Calgary yard, so he was sniffing up a storm. We were only out for about 5 minutes though, just to be safe. I've heard foxes and coyotes out there!

Here's my handsome, shiny man:

And since I'm a sucker for macro shots, here's his quills both in the sun:

and in the shade:

I love how you can see the different bars of color and his dark brown tips. That was one of his lighter areas, but not one of the pinto spots. You can see a small pinto blotch in the sunlight quill picture. He's a very mottled, unusual boy. I don't actually know where he fits on the color guide, but I think he's gorgeous!
Lilysmommy and octopushedge like this.

Tags
cute, lizard, pets, snake, video

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in