The Potato Princess & Her Siblings - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree162Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2016, 01:25 PM   #11 (permalink)

I definitely prefer the bone-breaking, full-beak pressure bird bites to the little pinchey bites. Pinchers are in a pain class all of their own! And exponentially worse than ball python bites, for the record.
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2016, 01:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

I'm with you on that. Ball python bites are so minor compared to some birds. The little ones can't get anything solid to bite. Only had one big bird that preferred to bite just skin. That was one of my ekkies. But with him it was just one week a month he would do that, and it was only me.

Still to this day, most pain is compared to bird bites. Hedgehog bites aren't even on the scale
Lilysmommy and FinnickHog like this.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2016, 02:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Yeah, the hedgehog bites seriously hurt more, even though I'm lucky & Bindi doesn't hold on long. I mean, seriously, while I was running water over the cuts from Charis's bite, I was already comparing and contrasting it to other animal bites. Everything else has hurt worse - hedgehog, turkey vulture, parrots, woodchuck, hermit crab pinches...everything. The parrots were definitely worst, followed by the hermit crab pinch. I've been bitten by an Amazon, a Quaker, budgies (okay, they really weren't bad to me), and a conure. The Amazon was definitely bad. She held on - she was ready to take my finger off. I still feel bad about it, but I actually shoved her off with a branch because I couldn't take it any longer. And then a few weeks after, I had a conure bite the exact same spot. It belonged to my friend's brother & is highly unsocialized (among other problems...I'm still so tempted to go steal the bird, but they're in Virgina). The Amazon was going for crushing, the conure sliced me pretty good.

Okay, I'm glad I'm not the only weirdo who does comparisons of animal bites. I knew I found my people on here.

I do hope my family will eventually get used to Charis and stop being so nervous about her. I don't even know if anyone will end up meeting her, as I'm not likely to take her on a road trip to Michigan anytime soon. Depends on if anyone comes to visit me, I guess. Unless someone has an outright snake phobia, I may try to convince them to meet her - I really don't understand how someone could dislike her unless they do have a phobia. Phobias I understand all too well though. And your boyfriend's coworker sounds absolutely awful!!! I don't blame you a BIT for not wanting her anywhere near you or your babies. I'm the same way with spiders, but my roommate is also arachnophobic - they have a general insect/bug phobia, worse with somethings, not as bad with others. It's bad enough they can't even kill most bugs, they just get the heck away from them. We established long before we moved in together that if they have a spider or other bug in their room, they should come get me, even if they have to wake me up. The only thing I can't handle is centipedes...one of my two phobias! If we get house centipedes, we're both living on the street.
FinnickHog likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 02:38 PM   #14 (permalink)

Ooooh centipedes. They bother me. A lot. Some of the vendors who go to the reptile shows stock those vicious, evil, giant ones. Yucky! They're about the only thing I can't handle.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Ahhhh nope nope nope. Terrified of them. Millipedes I can handle & suppress the shivers. Centipedes are No Way. I did read a post (I think on Tumblr?) from someone who once got one specifically because they were afraid of them. And they discussed how they learned more about their behaviors & how the centipede would actually move empty insect exoskeletons all to one pile, and would move colored stones & other little things around the enclosure, etc. It was very interesting...but still don't want one anywhere near me!

Also...I meant to mention, and I may add this to my original post so people see it there too. I have an animal-related Tumblr blog - http://fantasticbeastsandhowtokeepthem.tumblr.com/ I try to keep it well-maintained & have my queue set to two posts a day. I have posts about my animals queued up for one a day for at least the next few days still. I also have tags for each of the animals if anyone is only interested in searching for those posts. Other than my pets, I reblog animal pictures, and a lot of animal care & health things. Everything from dogs & cats to birds, reptiles, wildlife, small mammals, etc. Fish stuff too, occasionally. I mostly reblog right now and I'm trying to get better about posting about my own creatures! I plan to post about my bioactive and raw diet research too, once I get going on that again. (Also if anyone doesn't have a Tumblr & just looks through the blog, I apologize in advance because some of the text is screwed up and shows as the same color as the background...no clue why, and I keep meaning to find a better theme!)
octopushedge likes this.

Old 01-09-2016, 03:10 PM   #16 (permalink)

That's so weird. I can do millipedes too. I actually had that in my last post and took it out. Centipedes are interesting, for sure. But I don't want to own one the way I do with pretty much everything else on the planet.

Ooh I know what I'm doing the rest of the day!

Edit/Addition: The betta you reblogged a few days ago looks exactly like my first betta, Miso!
Old 01-09-2016, 03:20 PM   #17 (permalink)

I married one of those "the only good snake...." People. Growing up we had them as pets, caught them in the wild. In eastern Kansas you could see that being an issue. To me that was normal growing up stuff. Now living in rural Appalachia, I can't teach my boys to go snake hunting, we have too many copperheads.

I am glad other people catch spiders in the house and let them go... It's irrevelant that we let 5 more bugs in while we take the one out.
FinnickHog likes this.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:41 PM   #18 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Ashley - for me it's the legs. They stick out so much more with centipedes. Plus centipedes are faster and a lot (all?) of them are carnivorous. At least millipedes are just harmless detritivores and herbivores! And awww, Miso twin!

And yeah, Two, I really need to look up the local snakes, what they look like, and what to be careful of before spring & summer get here. I want to start going hiking & such more, but I'm from Michigan. I'm fairly certain Michigan is the tamest state in the country...we don't really have anything big and dangerous (black bears that would rather run away, wolves that are more interested in your dog & cat than you), only two venomous spiders & not in large numbers, and only one venomous snake that is endangered & almost never seen. It's also not aggressive at all & tries to stay away from people. So I don't have much in the way of wilderness skills, unless you count driving in snow.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:45 PM   #19 (permalink)

What a great Tumblr, Kelsey! I had no idea your workplace was so cool too. I've been on the fence about getting a tumblr again and this may push me over it just so I can follow you! It's so nice to see a change from the non-stop stream of tv show gifs
Old 01-09-2016, 08:48 PM   #20 (permalink)

Snakes you have rattlers, cotton mouths or water moccasins, and some copperheads. You have bobcats, but not large numbers. Coyotes, in good numbers. You have snapping turtles. Black widows and brown recluse, but I never seen any in 17 years there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in