The Potato Princess & Her Siblings - Page 14 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree162Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2016, 12:05 PM   #131 (permalink)
Super Moderator

...Man, I am never getting a saltwater tank. They're very cool, but jeeze. I'll leave that to you!! And send good wishes that you never have the power out for too long. Have you looked into smaller generators that are charged via electricity? I can't find on the page how long this one lasts, but you can plug it in to charge prior to an emergency & then it might be able to relieve you at least a little with the tanks. http://www.wayfair.com/Mr.-Emergency...-MREM1001.html

Yeah, I have trouble organizing my pet supplies closet. It's hard to get into the stuff in the back of it, but I have a ton of the crabs' stuff back there. I don't need it often, but it's a huge workout to get anything when I do need it. I need to go back through it all & make a list of what I have & the general location so I don't spend an hour pinching my fingers, causing avalanches, and swearing up a storm trying to find one thing.

Yeeeep. They're such complicated little critters that are consistently subjected to major abuse and neglect in the pet industry. It's really horrible. I wish I could do more to help more of them, but I have to remember how big they get & where my limits are space-wise. I really don't want to add any more into my tank, with the size of Shelob & Frodo. And the others will probably be catching up before long as they tend to grow faster & molt more often when they're smaller. I can't upgrade them again until maybe next year, and I need to be careful not to go TOO big while I'm still in an apartment & not a definite long-term living situation.

Hope you're having a good day off today! I have some plans for cleaning, but otherwise I'm playing with Ebony, doing animal care, and thinking about going to read for a couple hours in the park between Pancake feedings.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2016, 02:48 PM   #132 (permalink)

One thing that has helped me greatly in getting things done was I have two lists on my fridge that are basically dry erase. One is my to-do and one is my ta-da list. If everything on my list wasn't done, it would be bad for me, but I couldn't see the other things that got done on top of my to do list.
Add me to the club of need to organize. I have been sick with bronchitis or something like that for a couple weeks now and normal household chores aren't getting done much less bigger projects.
Also add me to the list that has a zoo, and it's somewhat tamed down right now.
Lilysmommy likes this.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2016, 03:00 PM   #133 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I've considered dry erase as I have one for keeping track of the crabs' food & water changes, but I'm on my laptop almost constantly when I'm at home, so I keep my lists on here. I have a ton of schedule & bill related stuff all organized in one Notepad document that always stays open. Gets messy sometimes, but I usually keep it in order!

How many animals do you have anyway? I always forget just how big your zoo is!! And I hope you're starting to feel better & back to normal soon...that does not sound like fun.

Old 05-01-2016, 03:05 PM   #134 (permalink)

Grand total at the house we have... 14, that's not too many???? But there is also 5 people. So that's less than 3 a person.

My dry erase is just a paper in a document protector.
Lilysmommy likes this.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2016, 03:27 PM   #135 (permalink)

I don't know how the 2 of you do it! I have one human child (7), Ichiro and the husband and and that's more than enough!
Lilysmommy likes this.
Artemis-Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2016, 07:48 PM   #136 (permalink)

I had a dry erase/corkboard combo at my parents' place and I loved it. Until it got covered in "important things" that I didn't want to erase . I think I'll bring it with me and hang it specifically in the pet room and that might keep the extra clutter down...

Can we get a full list, Two!? 14 is pretty good. I have *count* 23 right now. I included the fish and the shrimp but not the crabs and snails in there.

I'll definitely look into that little generator. Thanks!

I actually just woke up. My sleep schedule is all backwards again. I go around in circles . Gotta get ready to head to a friend's barbecue, and then I'm going to chip away at the graphic novel I started the other night. Yay!
Lilysmommy likes this.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:08 PM   #137 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I feel like human kids must count for several animals all in one, they take so much time & work. So I'd say you're doing pretty good still Artemis!! I'll stick with my critters for now...I can barely manage myself much less a second human. It's generally frowned upon to put children in a cage for most of the day, after all.

That's why I like the computer doc I keep - it can be as long as I want if I have too many important notes I don't want to get rid of!

Sounds like a good day to me, Ashley! I didn't do quite as much for myself as planned (due to the impromptu 1.5 hours spent on the chinchilla care sheet), but I did eat something with vegetables in it? And I'm getting ready to do the first day of a month-long workout challenge that I'm doing with a group of people online (to encourage each other & whatnot). May not be able to do every day, but I figure it's a good step towards getting myself exercising & see if it helps with brain things. And....drumroll please...I FINALLY called the employee assistance program that my manager told me about. It involved some tears and a panic attack, but it finally got done. I now have the name of a counselor that I can call tomorrow afternoon or after to set up my first appointment. Hopefully that call involves less panicking. It's probably not going to happen tomorrow as Pancake's vet visit is at 5pm, so I'm already going to be low on free time & spoons due to that. But I'll try to make myself get it done on Tuesday, at least.
FinnickHog and Prue like this.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:23 PM   #138 (permalink)

I'm just going to leave this here: http://www.squishable.com/pc/opensqu...ermit+Crab+III

Disclaimer: these things are horribly addictive.
Lilysmommy likes this.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:06 PM   #139 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Yessss, I seriously want that one. I already have the giant hedgehog one. I want the hermit crab, snake, and a cat one so I can have the whole crew.

I tried calling the counselor today and no luck. The next thing they have open is 5/23, and it sounds like their hours won't work anyway - her last appointment is the same time I typically get home from work, and appointments only on weekdays. I don't want to go straight after work because I need to come home & give Pancake her empty-stomach meds first. I know I shouldn't be so discouraged after only two no's, but still kind of struggling with it.

Animal news, Ebony doesn't have a UTI. So apparently just a brat. She's using the new litter box with the Cat Attract litter though, and I was able to praise her & give her pets after she used it when we got home, so hopefully positive reinforcement will help. The carpet still smells, so I need to rent a carpet cleaner machine after all & see if I can get it completely clean. Going to have to wait for the weekend though, I just don't have the time or energy after work & the next few days are going to be busy with Pancake again.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:07 AM   #140 (permalink)

The snake is soooo cute!

That's too bad. Can you find a place that does appointments on weekends? I know our medical systems are vastly different, but there's a location in Calgary that has a mixture of students and teachers and their pricing is on a sliding scale depending on what you can pay. Since there's student therapists, a lot of them prefer appointments on weekends so it doesn't interfere with their classes. Do you poor Americans have anything like that? You can also try calling your local hospital's reception and asking them for places, or even calling smaller clinics, and they should have a list for you.

That's so weird that she said no. All of the ones I've seen will stay an extra hour to see people if that's what they need o.O. I'm sure there's someone out there who will work. I have to go and see Boris tomorrow as follow up from being hospitalized, so that'll be fun. He's so Ukrainian! Last time I went he told me what my last name means. I had no idea it translated to "the guy who fixed the wheels on the horse-drawn carts" .

I'm glad Ebony isn't sick, even if she is being a dork . It sounds like she's getting the hang of it again so that's good!
Lilysmommy likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in