The Potato Princess & Her Siblings - Page 12 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree162Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2016, 01:39 AM   #111 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I really hope the vet finds something too. Something we can FIX, that is. She's eaten 9cc for me today in two sittings, going to try & do three tomorrow. She's taking 4-5cc a sitting, so I should be able to get at least 15 into her that way. We have a vet appointment for Monday afternoon with Jackie's vet to get a thorough look at her mouth and possibly do x-rays as well.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2016, 02:13 PM   #112 (permalink)

We gave her a SUPER long soak in a warm bath with chlorhexidine moisturizing shampoo and the crusties on her feet just fell off after a few minutes She still has some redness and cracking around the nail beds, but her feet look so much better without the gunk! I really, really think it's fungal the way it's acting.

Also, going to send Kesley home with some of my raw food mixes I made when Qwerty had c. diff and wouldn't eat anything, just drink hedgie soup. Super watery food might help.
Lilysmommy and FinnickHog like this.

Soyala_Amaya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2016, 11:09 AM   #113 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Bindi ate 15cc of A/D from me yesterday, which made me happy! I also gave her more crushed food & she definitely got into that last night. I'm considering adding a bowl tonight of kibble that's been crushed & then had water added to it as well. She still seems to be doing well otherwise, her energy is good, she moves around when I get her out. She still puts up a little fight with the syringing, but not nearly as much now that she knows what's going on. She just has to remind me of my place. And she HATES having her face and chin wiped off, but she doesn't get a choice on that.

Still need to make a post about the loose bedding I got, but I still really like it. I need to make a little container or something to help protect her food & water bowls from it as it's very light & easy to push into the bowls. Which obviously isn't ideal for water! I don't have a ton in her tote right now so that it doesn't get everywhere. She still has a fleece blanket in there though, and still hides under that to sleep. But she seems to like the bedding too & burrows around in it. Once I have a container made up for Bindi's bowls, I'm going to try switching her to it & see how much of the bag it takes and what she thinks. That may wait until later in the week though. My big plans for today are to finally get Bindi's freaking Chop made, and to harass the hermit crabs with a tank clean & slight rearranging (don't want to freak them out TOO much, but may change up one or two things).
FinnickHog and octopushedge like this.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:17 AM   #114 (permalink)

Did you feed the right hedgie?
Artemis-Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2016, 06:06 PM   #115 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Oh trust me, it's hard to mix these two up, similar personality or no. Pancake is still a chunk!

I just had her out for feeding and tried to have the food a little thicker consistency, without being watered down as much as I've had it. She wasn't a fan & gave me a lot of fight to even get 1cc into her. So I watered it back down - and she ate 4cc. Now the question is, is that just a matter of preference for her, or could that mean she's having trouble swallowing the thicker food? Think I'm going to mention it to the vet, at least.

I'm succeeding in making most of the animals hate me today. Pancake's getting force-fed, the cat needs ear drops & that didn't go well at all. Going to have to see if roomie will help me do them from now on, as much as we can. And I'm going to feed myself, then start working on the hermit crab tank clean, which they won't appreciate at all. Ahhh, pet ownership...

Old 04-10-2016, 06:16 PM   #116 (permalink)

Isn't Bindi on the raw food diet?
Old 04-10-2016, 06:22 PM   #117 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Oh pffft. Sorry, I didn't even notice I typed the wrong name up there! Definitely fed Pancake, not Bindi! I don't think I'd have fingers left if I tried to force-feed her, heh.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:13 PM   #118 (permalink)

That's why I was confused. Lol. I knew Bindi was healthy (finally) and now syringe feeding? I'm glad Bindi is ok and good luck with the rest of the zoo, I wouldn't be able to handle that many animals, my daughter and Ichiro are all I can handle!
Old 04-23-2016, 11:12 PM   #119 (permalink)
Super Moderator

So I had a really good day today, which is wonderful when that coincides with a day off. I got lots of stuff done today! I only changed the hermit crab food for today, plus sprayed them down as the top sand was getting dry. I'm still hoping to find time sometime soon to pull everything & everyone that's above ground out & clean up the top of the substrate and mix up the top inch or so to make sure it's still the right consistency. It's been a couple months since I have, so it's definitely due. But they should appreciate the fresh food - they got some mealworm castings to try, to see if they like them as much as earthworm castings, and they got some scrambled egg which they went NUTS over last week.

And I was finally able to get Bindi out again tonight as she was long overdue for cuddles and TLC. She doesn't quite agree right now though - she's pretty upset with me for giving her a bath. Of course, her version of upset is probably considered friendly for some hedgies. She huffs when I try to pet her, but none of the quills raise even slightly. All bluff, no stabby!

Oh, and Ashley - I tried the quail with Charis this week, two different nights. First night just the quail and the second night after warming the quail up with a rat. Both times she inspected it and deemed it Not Food. So I gave up & tossed it since it'd been warmed up twice & in the fridge for three days by this point. She got a rat on Thursday night instead and was happy to finally have Definitely Food. We'll give quail another try someday. At least we like rat & guinea pig so far! I may try ordering a small rabbit from Hare Today next & see how that goes over.

Old 04-24-2016, 12:29 AM   #120 (permalink)

I'm glad today ended up going so smoothly for both you and Pancake! You just reminded me that I still really need to get my hands on some earthworms for my crew...

That doesn't sound particularly intimidating, Bindi! If you want to be scary you need to at least *try* to be pokey!

That's too bad Charis didn't like the quail. Though she's probably never tasted bird before so she has no idea at all what it is. One day she'll strike at it by accident and go "oh this is AMAZING!" Aki didn't like his dead quail either, but he doesn't seem to like dead anything. I offered him a f/t hopper mouse from a new batch today with no luck. Snakes .
Lilysmommy likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in