The Potato Princess & Her Siblings - Page 11 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree162Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2016, 09:04 AM   #101 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I gave her another hornworm and some more rabbit before bed. She ate the secund hornworm too, and a little more rabbit. Didn't finish it, but still!! And Bindi was a pig and ate all of her food before I even went to bed. Usually she leaves a little, but not tonight. And I offered Pancake food by syringe this morning, not planning to press her much, but she actually sucked down 3cc pretty quickly! She even did better with the food than the pedialyte. So I think we're definitely doing better.

I'll definitely let you know what Charis does! She's such an eager eater that I'm hoping this won't make her get picky with me.

I haven't actually taken her to the vet yet before, so I'm not sure how she'll behave. I think she's one of the worse ones from the rehab, but we'll see! This clinic has a gold standard certification from some group that promotes cat-friendly conditions in vet clinics such as getting into a room quickly, home-like rooms with fake plants and comfy furniture, etc., so maybe she'll do okay. Fingers crossed!

I really hope this bedding works out nicely! It'd be nice to have a loose bedding without the drawbacks of our other options, even if my plans for bioactive hedgie cage work out. I won't be able to set that up for something like five or six months anyway.
FinnickHog likes this.
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2016, 10:52 PM   #102 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Well, we expected a URI, but that's not what we got...

It's been mentioned on here plenty of times that hedgies are prone to getting infections after hibernation attempts due to the lowered immune system. Most of the time, this seems to be a URI. That was part of why we had Pancake on antibiotics this week. Well, they may have helped with stuff that antibiotics are effective against, but we managed to get something else - fungal infection! Her feet are peeling, and so is her upper lip a little. I thought at first that she was chewing on her front feet due to how it looked. Jackie pointed out that the raw spots were only on the top of her feet and that it looked more like skin peeling off than chew marks. So we're thinking it's a fungal infection...Poor Pancake!! She just can't catch a break right now. I'm calling the vet tomorrow morning to see if I can get her in on Tuesday. Hoping my roomie is willing to let me borrow their car or drive us to the vet because my car is going to the mechanic tomorrow afternoon to be looked at on Tuesday and I'm not sure when I'll get it back...argh! And the cat has a vet appointment on Thursday. Gonna be a fun week! I'm ready for everyone in the house to be healthy again soon!

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Old 04-03-2016, 11:02 PM   #103 (permalink)

Oh no, poor Pancake! Fungal infections are the worst. Hopefully you're able to get her in for Tuesday and it goes well. Keep us updated.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:55 PM   #104 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I actually managed to get Pancake in today! I seriously love both my manager & my vet clinic. This is the second Monday in a row I've had to leave work early for a last-minute vet visit, and my manager has had no problem with it. She even asked me if I'd need help getting work done last week & said to let her know if I did need help. And both Mondays, I called in the morning & my vet was willing & able to work us in that afternoon to be seen. Added to that, by the time I called today (5 minutes after they opened), they'd already had 3 emergency calls and they were fully booked...and still got us in!! I thanked everyone several times while we were there.

Anyway, so the vet went ahead & got samples to culture to see what's going on with Pancake's feetsies. The culture will take 7-10 days to grow, so until we get the results, I'm going to be giving her nightly footbaths with diluted chlorhexidine, which I already have on hand. I'm also going to start wiping down her cage nightly with it, and possibly spraying her cage blankets lightly & leaving them to dry while she cuddles with me after her foot bath. I don't have enough to change nightly & I don't want to use paper towels because she likes to sleep in her liner/blankets rather than a hedgie bag or anything else. If I have to go to more extreme cleaning measures towards the end of the week or when we get the results back, I will.

Also, I keep picking the weird hedgehogs, I swear. Pancake was SO relaxed at the vet. Let us play with and pull her paws while looking at them, let the vet pull little pieces of the scabs off carefully with tweezers to go in the culture (didn't even flinch...wtf hedgie), and even dozed off while I gave her a belly rub while we waited for the vet to get the culturing supplies. Even the other two friendliest hedgies I know (Bindi & Jackie's Danu) are grumpy balls of death at the vet!!

Oh, and she's been eating her normal kibble again, she ate a little last night...not much, but she doesn't usually eat much. I'm having to try hard not to compare her to Bindi, who's a pig & eats a ton. I still worry she's not getting enough...it's so hard to tell!! I might offer her a little food by syringe tomorrow & see what she does. I just don't want her to start going downhill again, with how quickly she got dehydrated & lethargic before.
FinnickHog and octopushedge like this.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:26 AM   #105 (permalink)

I can give you more fleece! How much more do you need? Let me know and I'll have it bagged up for you when you come down Friday. I have TONS, you've seen my hoard, lol!

Soyala_Amaya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2016, 11:39 PM   #106 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Pancake's gonna give me a stroke or something, I swear. She's still not really eating - she's pushing the kibble around the bowl, I'm finding a couple pieces outside her bowl, but I don't think she's actually eating any. I haven't seen poop today or yesterday. I counted out kibbles tonight & also gave her 5 pieces of Wellness wet food. If she doesn't eat tonight, we start syringing again tomorrow. *sigh* We did a chlorhexidine bath tonight & she wasn't impressed. Pulled some scabby skin off, she didn't even react. Feet look okay under the scabs - not sore, red, or anything like that.

She's getting to try the new loose bedding that arrived today. I kept one of her fleece blankets in, just so she has something that smells like her still. I have pictures and such, but I'll probably wait to upload them this weekend. This week is...not fun. Just trying to get through to Friday right now, then I can start thinking about doing things like uploading pictures and more. Just wanted to update on her and one other thing...

Charis got to eat tonight...and was offered her first guinea pig! It was small & white, so very rat-like. And it was actually rather smaller than her last rat, which was humongous (the pet store considered it a jumbo). That's why it's been 2.5 weeks since she last ate, because that meal was so huge. I wanted to make sure she was hungry before offering new & unusual prey. But I shouldn't have worried. She was out & looking for food when I went in with it & as soon as her snout booped it, she grabbed & coiled. Waiting a while before I go in to see if she actually finished it & make sure she didn't have a "wait a second..." moment. Should be interesting to see if she goes for the quail just as fast or no! I'll have to see if I can get rabbit in the right size for her too, for next time I order. Even if she doesn't like quail, I'll be very pleased if I can rotate rat, guinea pig, and rabbit for her.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:28 AM   #107 (permalink)

Oh Pancake, you need to eat! What a silly girl. I hope she gets better soon.

That's awesome with Charis though! I'm glad she liked the guinea pig! I know balls are suckers for gerbils but I wasn't sure what she would think of guinea pig.
Lilysmommy likes this.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:48 AM   #108 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Yeah, she ate one kibble last night, assuming it didn't just get lost in the bedding. *sigh* Back to syringe-feeding today. At least she was doing well with that right before we quit, so hopefully she'll pick it back up again. The biggest problem now is she's a butt about letting me clean her face properly & gets food stuck in folds under her chin. I found a missed bit last night during her bath & it was a bit red & sore underneath when I got it off. I'm taking the cat in to the vet today, so I'll be making another appointment for her for early next week while I'm there. Going to see if the vet will check her mouth out thoroughly & see if something's going on there. She just won't eat anything on her own...she was even turning the raw rabbit up last time I gave her some. Won't eat the soupy A/D except when syringed. Doesn't want Wellness or any insects...arghhhh!

I'm glad too! Wasn't sure what I was gonna do with it if she didn't want it. Next challenge is the quail! I've heard that as well about gerbils & would totally try to find them for her, but they're so small that she'd need a few for a meal...and I keep being told that it's best to feed only one appropriately sized prey rather than several small ones.

Old 04-08-2016, 01:25 AM   #109 (permalink)

What a little goofball. Hopefully she's still open to syringe feeding for now at least. 4-7 more days until the culture comes back, and then we'll know what's up with her poor foots. It's a good thing you and Jackie got to her when you did. Can you imagine if problems like this started cropping up for her previous owner?

Gerbils seem like such an odd food for ball pythons. They're way too heavy bodied for one gerbil to fill them up, and they seem so slow and methodical I have trouble picturing one being able to catch a gerbil at all. I'm excited for the quails. I bought some for Aki and he says "blech, they're dead." The turd.
Lilysmommy likes this.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:14 PM   #110 (permalink)

Poor Pancake has been the worst food hedgie I've ever had. She regularly ate half a tablespoon or less a night of her kibble for me. I was super excited when she ate the rabbit and hornworm for Kelsey because it was more than I ever got! She is SO sweet, and cuddly, and loving, that it just feels like her food issues are her balancing act for being the worlds most chill hedgehog.

Really, if you rub her tummy, she'll let you do about anything. It's why we were so concerned with her hibernation attempt though! I kept saying "How the **** do I tell if she's lethargic? What is lethargic for a hedgehog like this?!"

At this point, I'm almost hoping the vet finds an abcess or something because then we'd have a WHY, not just pulling our hair out.
Lilysmommy and FinnickHog like this.

Soyala_Amaya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in