The Potato Princess & Her Siblings - Page 10 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree162Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2016, 06:20 PM   #91 (permalink)

I know this sounds stupid, but aren't you afraid of her???
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2016, 07:38 PM   #92 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Nope. Sometimes she makes me jump if she freaks out a bit when I first go to get her out, but that's surprise. And I remind myself that it's because SHE'S scared. 4 feet long sounds big, but she's really very small, especially compared to large bumbling humans!! And her biggest defense is to flee or bite - her long body is completely exposed and easy to hurt if she were to get stepped on, dropped, etc. So I'm honestly surprised she's not even more defensive - once she realizes it's just me, she calms down very quickly & is happy to explore and check things out. Not to mention, I've been bitten by her once and it was pretty anti-climatic. Hedgehog bites hurt a LOT worse, trust me!

Also, it's hard to be afraid of a snake that scares herself by booping her nose on things. At least she's not afraid of her food like a lot of ball pythons are! Really though, out of all of my animals, she's the least likely to hurt me - the crabs pinch much harder, Bindi has bitten me far more times than Charis, and though the cat isn't really aggressive, cat bites & scratches are actually quite dangerous due to how deep punctures can go & the bacteria on their claws & in their mouth.
FinnickHog and Dumble like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2016, 05:47 AM   #93 (permalink)

I saw this a few days ago and wanted to comment so bad but just haven't had time. So here I am now!

Charis sounds like such a sweet girl! Very typical ball python-esque. I love that they're more likely to hide than bluff or strike. It's such a bizarre trait for a snake, and pretty much the entire species does it. So much so that they got named after it .

That being said, most snakes won't do anything scary unless you intimidate them or they're hungry. Some snakes are easier to intimidate and some are always hungry, so there are obviously exceptions, but for the most part the common pet noodles are happy to just hang out on a nice warm person. California kingsnakes have a bad reputation for biting, but in the wild they eat rattlesnakes, so biting first and asking questions later is an evoled trait for them. They don't bite because they're mean, just because they don't want to die. On top of that, like Kelsey said, the bites are really not very bad. It's definitely freaky having them lunge and strike and hiss, but if they actually bite after all that I laugh it off. The bluff is the worst part.

That doesn't apply to tree snakes, or the big guys though. Tree snakes have bigger, more developed fangs so they can grab prey out of the air. So that hurts and it's best to avoid the pointy ends on them. And big snakes like reticulated pythons have big mouths, so the bites are nastier just due to scale. And then there's the African rock python, who is just plain nasty. They're the only non-venomous snake I will never handle. Because they're just plain awful animals.

So the scary ones are the venomous snakes for obvious reasons, and the big pythons. Nothing you'll see regularly can hurt you, or even wants to hurt you. They're just scared or hungry. Unlike my parrot who will gnaw my fingers off if I forget to share my banana. Now she's scary!

If they don't freak you out really badly, ask to stroke one at a pet store. Ball pythons or corn snakes are great to start with. And they feel really cool!
Lilysmommy and Soyala_Amaya like this.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:19 PM   #94 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Completely agreed on the bluffing thing - I jump a bit when Charis thrashes slightly when I go to pick her up, but we both calm quickly & that's the most she does! I'm still trying to figure out a good way to let her know it's me without scaring her or making her think it's possibly food, since she's still so used to live feeding.

And yeah...I'll leave the tree pythons to you. I'm happy with my sweet, dorky ball python! Your new kingsnake must be absolutely gorgeous though, I looked at the pics of her sibs and they're stunning!! I'm glad she's got such a great temperament and is so easy-going. I can't wait to see pics!
FinnickHog likes this.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:01 PM   #95 (permalink)

Add me to team 'more nervous about hedgehog bites' club.
Snake bites don't really worry me, and didn't when they should have. Growing up we had the, of you can catch it you can keep it rule...
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2016, 11:28 PM   #96 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Just wanted to post an update on the Pancake! She's continuing to improve daily. She's been back to running on her wheel the past couple of nights, with a little poop & pee each night. Not much yet, but something. She's still not eating on her own, but I did see her drinking last night when I went in to put one of her bowls back down. Last night and tonight, I've included a second food bowl with little bits of Bindi's meals - last night was snails, maggots, and some of the Wellness chunks, all left untouched. Tonight we're trying mealworm pupae, hornworm, and some whole ground rabbit. I doubt she'll touch it, but eh. Worth a try, right?

On the plus side, she's doing both better and worse with syringing. Confusing, right? She's much more energetic about protesting it, so we have to take more breaks because she starts flailing so much. It's nice to see her so energetic & bright-eyed though! However, we've had a breakthrough on syringed food being a good thing. Whether that's because she's getting her appetite back or I've figured out the magic touch, or both, who knows. She's started lapping a little down easily though, without fighting me the whole way. This morning we did 3 cc and this evening we did 4cc, with very little ending up on her/me/towel. I'm still not sure what to think of amounts - while I'm not aiming to get the amount quoted in the sticky into her (and I'm still wondering if that's really the right goal or if it might be too much or more dependent on individual hedgie, like with normal eating amounts), I'm still not convinced what I'm giving her is quite enough either. I'll be happier if she keeps up eating 4cc or more in a sitting, but we'll see. She's also less excited about drinking the Pedialyte, which I'm hoping means she's almost back to normal hydration. She does still take 2-3cc of it each time though.

I'm excited about having gotten my Hare Today order because I have a couple of new prey items for Charis now - a small guinea pig & some small quail. I have no clue if she'll go for them, but fingers crossed! I think I may try the guinea pig first, since it's closer to rats. She'll be due to eat again this weekend or early next week, I think. I need to check my Facebook posts because I forgot to write it down! I really need to get everyone's care notebooks finished...

Ebony kitty is going to the vet next week. It's meant to be a first wellness visit, but I'm afraid we'll likely come out with some treatment to do. She's been sneezing a lot still, including some worrying gagging. And she's scratching her ears quite a bit, which is making me think ear mites. I wish I'd made the appointment sooner, ugh! I need to get her started on flea/tick meds anyway, which will probably be Revolution.

Miss Bindi is being a good girl. She seems to be balancing out Pancake, who's being the "problem child" right now. Eats all of her food every night, wheels, pees & poops normally, etc. Model hedgie! She let me cut her nails a couple nights ago with almost no protest. I'm lucky that all of my animals really are so easy. Other than Pancake's issues, everyone's been a relief this week because I've been a bit of a mess, but I can still at least get animal care done each night. Hoping the weekend will help reset my brain, even though I have to work this weekend.
Soyala_Amaya and FinnickHog like this.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:34 PM   #97 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Oh, I completely forgot about the other thing I wanted to mention!! So I think I've mentioned a couple times that I've found a new bedding I want to try. While I don't think I can get the same brand as we use at work (they haven't contacted me back, anyway), the company of a similar bedding has been amazing so far. The bedding is called Alpha-dri and the company is Shepherd Specialty Papers.

I got a quick reply from a representative, we figured out during the conversation that I'm not in his district, so he passed me along to the rep for my area. That guy gave me his number so I could call as they don't have any distributors near me that could sell 1-2 bags at a time rather than pallets of 20+ bags. I called & talked to him today and he said they could ship me single bags of the bedding I was interested in, but it'd be expensive $30/bag & probably around $20 shipping as well. He's going to get back to me with a definite quote by Monday at the latest. However, he mentioned another product that they sell that he thinks would work well for hedgehogs, it seems more similar to Carefresh. They're sending me a free sample bag and it should be here by next Wednesday at the latest. I'm excited to see if it'll work out well!! I'll keep you guys updated and will of course post pictures & such once I have it. This product is only $11/bag for the same size bag as Alpha-dri, so if it works well, it'd be a lot cheaper to use. Here's hoping it doesn't have the drawbacks of Carefresh...
FinnickHog likes this.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:57 PM   #98 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Oh my god, I"m sorry for triple posting, but PANCAKE ATE!!! She ate the hornworm and some of the raw rabbit!!! I'm completely blown away! Gonna go get some more out for her right now!

Old 04-01-2016, 12:19 AM   #99 (permalink)

Whaaaat!? She ate a nasty hornworm of all things!? Good girl pancake! That is excellent news! I'm glad she's recovering quickly.

I'm excited to see what Charis thinks of the variety. I'm so scared to try new things with Illidan in case he never goes back. He prefers mice to rats already, and that's enough of a hassle. I can't even imagine quail!

Aww, poor Ebony. I hope it's just mites and nothing worse. Is she okay with vet checks or does she throw a fit? My cats were always awful about it. My orange tabby would pee on my bed when we got home.

I need pictures of the bedding sample! I was in Bulk Barn (of all places!) a few days ago to buy some trail mix for myself, and they had some compressed paper bedding. I might have to buy a bundle and see what happens, but if it's the same as what you're getting I'll just wait and let you do all the testing .
Old 04-01-2016, 01:36 AM   #100 (permalink)

Hurray for Pancake! You must feel very relieved to have seen that Such good news!

Dumble is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in