The potato has landed...Bindi's home!! - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2015, 12:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default The potato has landed...Bindi's home!!

She's home, she's home!!! My little girl FINALLY came home last night and I'm so, so happy.

Here was the only picture I took of her last night, as I wanted to let her settle in a bit after a short cuddle session. She's going to be 6 months in 6 days! My little baby's already getting so grown up.

So we started our snuggle session tonight. "Mom, go away, 'M sleeping!"

I didn't listen. Cue the grumps!

Oh wait, there's a face starting to emerge...

"Fine, I'm awake, what?" I love how big her ears look! I can't tell if they actually are or if it's just this picture.

"Hm...you do smell familiar..." I thought she was going to bite me as she's pretty scent-oriented & has bitten me numerous times already. No bite though! Guess my current body wash isn't as intriguing as my perfume.

So last time I was visiting her at Jackie's, she pulled herself into a perfect little oval shape in my hand and earned herself the nickname of Potato. Well, she continues to perfect her potato shape.

It cracks me up! She can barely fit in one of my hands & unless she curls herself up, she ends up with her back feet dangling off my hand. So she tucks all of her edges in so she can fit...and her butt still hangs off. Before I put her away for the night, I went "Alright, Potato..." and she immediately went into potato shape, so I think she's accepted her nickname. Which is good, because she's stuck with it forever now!

And here's the obligatory hedgeball picture. She's surprisingly patient with it & will give me several seconds before she starts the "let me DOWN" flail.

And of course, I have to show off The Potato Palace (yes, that's the official cage name now...I'm going to have FUN with this)!

I still have quite a bit of work to do in various areas. I want to add some coroplast to the top to help hold in heat. It's holding more or less steady at around 74-75, enough that I'm comfortable being gone for work tomorrow. But I'd still rather have that be the happy medium rather than the upper limits of the heating system. The lamps have 150w bulbs in them, so I want to add a third lamp & have them all be 100w to see if it heats more evenly, without hot spots underneath the lamps.

The bedding is Reptibark, what Ashley (FinnickHog) is using. So far I like it! Bindi doesn't seem to care much either way, I haven't seen much reaction to it yet. She's loving the white Lixit pigloo (which was Lily's & she also loved it) and that's been the bed of choice so far. I'm planning to add in more cage furniture, things to hide food in/under, etc. so it won't be so open. She doesn't seem to mind so far though - you can see she ran enough on her wheel last night to poop a bit. Didn't see any urine yet, though, not sure if it's in the bedding or if she didn't go. Will be checking for that tomorrow. She did eat almost a tablespoon of food, so I'm happy with that. I need to double check on how much she's been eating. The green dish will be for treats & extras, maybe starting around the end of the week.

So yeah! I'm absolutely thrilled to have this funny little girl home. She's perfect and I love her so much. And I'm really happy that it worked out that I could bring her home this week - today was the 5th anniversary of losing my mom, and it's always a hard day & time of year for me. This is honestly the happiest I've been on this day in the past five years. I like to think my mom helped make things work out like this so that Bindi could be my Christmas present this year. I know she's happy to see me with a quillbaby again, she knew how special Lily was to me. And Bindi is going to be just as special in her own way!

(Just wait, you guys are going to get tired of me going on about her. It's been almost four years since I've had a hedgehog to post pictures & stories of!)

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2015, 12:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

No, I've renamed the cage... It is the potato bin.
I'm so happy that you have found a way to make a sad day into a more positive one!
She is soooo cute, and she might have some radar ears.
Lilysmommy likes this.
twobytwopets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2015, 01:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yay! I'm so glad she's finally home with you. I doubt it's a fluke she came home with you on such a previously unhappy day.

She is the absolute cutest potato ever! I can't wait to see her and her cage as you upgrade it!
Lilysmommy likes this.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

This is the news I was waiting for! I'm so excited for you! How is the Potato settling in? I can't wait to hear more and see more pictures!
Lilysmommy likes this.
shinydistraction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2015, 01:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Congratulations! If only Potato knew how lucky she is to have you as her mommy.

Those are some awesome pics too, I have to do something like that soon.
Lilysmommy likes this.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2015, 02:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Life is now as it should be.......Bindi is home! Your Mom is so happy for you and so proud of you. I am sure she and Lily are in a lilac garden smiling........... and Lily is chasing your Mom about the garden!!!!!!!!!!!!! I look forward to many pictures and stories!!!!!!!
Lilysmommy likes this.
shetland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2015, 04:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

I am sooooo happy for you!!!! She is so beautiful! It is so cute when the give up their ball to explore
Lilysmommy likes this.
Leeloosmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2015, 07:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanks everyone!! I'm already looking forward to cuddle night tonight. So begins my evenings of complete non-productivity.

Potato Bin is a good name for the cage too. Although that'd be a sad potato bin with only one potato...Not that I plan to add any more anytime soon! One of the other hedgies (female, of course) at Jackie's wanted very badly to be friends with Bindi & cuddle with her. Bindi wanted NONE of it! No roommates allowed, clearly.

I think she's settling in okay. I wish I had more for her to do in her cage, but she has plenty to get used to for now anyway. I might add a couple more things tonight or tomorrow night. She ate, drank, pooped, and peed last night, so I'm a happy mama! And she continues to like the white pigloo, that was the sleeping spot of choice last night again. I was so hoping she'd choose the tree stump, but I think it might need some more "stuffing" to make it more hedgie-friendly. It's too open right now.

And thank you, Shetland, I was waiting for you to see this! And you're definitely right about Lily and my mom...silly girl never liked her grandma for some reason.

I have a feeling Bindi is going to have to join me for a trip back to Michigan sometime next year, I want her to meet her grandpa! She did great on the ride home from Jackie's (about 45 minutes), so hopefully she'll continue to be a good traveler.
DesireeM81 likes this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12

Last edited by Lilysmommy; 12-23-2015 at 06:59 PM.
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2015, 10:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Eeeek this was the post that I have been waiting for! Congratulations on getting Bindi home! I am so psyched to hear more updates on her. She looks so pretty <3
Lilysmommy likes this.
nuttylover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2015, 11:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Congrats Kelsey. We will keep our quills crossed that her transition to her new home will continue to be uneventful and well.... perhaps boring (I think you'll understand that comment coming from me).. Just nice boring, quiet snuggles.
Lilysmommy likes this.

Snuffle!
Kalandra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in