Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum - View Single Post - Weight loss??
Thread: Weight loss??
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lil Bluestem

Default Weight loss??

Hey! So I've had my dude since the week before Christmas, and he's 10 months old. When I got him, he was about 540g and had been pronounced VERY obese by the vet his previous owners took him to.

Two weeks ago we went to the vet, because he had stopped using his wheel and was hardly eating. His cage temperature is always above 73, and I try to keep a regular light schedule. Of course, the night before we went in, he started using his wheel and eating again. The vet said he was very healthy, even though he had lost a lot of weight (his previous owners rarely took him out of his cage, so he's had a lot more activity since he's been with me).

Two weeks later, he's continuing to lose weight. He's down to 362g--nearly 30g less than he weighed two weeks ago. He seems to be eating and pooing/exercising normally (I've always thought he didn't eat enough, but his eating habits now are consistent with when I first brought him home). Is it normal for them to lose weight this quickly? I know he was obese, but my concern is that he might be losing TOO much weight to the point of being unhealthy, even though the vet said he looked healthy a couple of weeks ago. Is this something to be concerned about?
Lil Bluestem is offline   Reply With Quote