Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum - View Single Post - once again .... just wondering
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 12:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Katis228

Default Re: once again .... just wondering

I will start by saying, I am not, nor would I ever like to become a breeder. This is just my opinion.

The reason that HHC members deter people so strongly from breeding is because, generally speaking, all the person is interested in is seeing babies, or in making money off of the babies. They do not bother to take the painfully slow steps needed to determine if they want to or even should become a breeder eventually.

Shockingly, there are some people who, after owning a hedgehog for less than a year, decide that it is a good idea to breed. How could that person possibly think they know absolutely everything there is to know about hedgehogs?? What they don't realize is that just because they can doesn't mean they should.

There are the logistics: Do you have the money set aside in case something goes wrong during the pregnancy? Can you afford multiple heat set ups for the hoglets once they have been weaned? Can you afford wheels for all the babies? Etc.

Then there are the more difficult aspects: Are you prepared to see the carcasses of half eaten babies? Are you prepared emotionally to lose your hedgehog if it is a difficult birth? Are you prepared to take the utter heartbreak that comes with being a breeder? We all know that there are massive highs (seeing a baby anoint for the first time, tickling the wrinkly little bellies, watching them grow up), but what we seem to forget are the rock bottom lows that these dedicated and wonderful breeders must go through.

They discourage breeding because if you are not willing to go the correct route and train under a licensed and experience breeder and take your time being an apprentice then you probably do not have the discipline, ethics, maturity and responsibility to even think about becoming a breeder. Unless you are willing to take the correct path, not only are you doing yourself and everyone in this community a disservice, but you are not thinking of what is best for the hedgehog as a breed. And that is the worst thing you could possibly do.

I'm not saying that there aren't breeders out there who, ultimately, are looking to make a quick buck, but in my experience, most of the breeders I have encountered are in the business to provide loving companions for people like me. Why do hoglets cost upwards of $125? A few thoughts: the supplies that go into raising the hoglet, and also have you ever stopped to think 'what if hedgehogs only cost $50?' Well, then everyone who wanted one, could buy one! There are enough people out there as is that spend the $150 or whatever, who decide to get rid of it quickly, or who don't know how to care for it properly, could you imagine a world in which anybody walking down the street could afford to stop by the shops, so to speak, and pick up a hedgehog for the house? I shudder to think of all of the abandoned and mistreated hedgies there would result in that paradigm.

Hope that wasn't too much of a ramble. It's late, and I become a bit verbose when I'm up at this time.

Katis228 is offline   Reply With Quote