Using the wheel.. - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2011, 09:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Using the wheel..

I've had Tumbles since Friday now, I bought her from a pet shop, where she didn't have access to a wheel, and she has settled in nicely; letting me pick her up, stroke her and she falls asleep on me from time to time. The only problem I'm having with her is that she doesn't seem to be using her wheel. Suure, she'll dig under it and climb on it to get somewhere else but she just doesn't seem willing to use it.
I've tried coaxing her into using it by holding mealies just that tad bit too far for her to reach and she had a quick go, until I felt mean about teasing her and gave in.

I'm probably just being impatient and expecting too much from her in such a short amount of time but I just don't want her to become a little chubs of a hedgehog.
Are there any other methods you've used to try and get your hedgehog to use it's wheel?
tazzatrillz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Using the wheel..

Put a few pieces of food on the wheel to entice her to get on it. If you can, wet the back of a piece of her food and stick it a little higher up, just out of reach if she were to sit with the rest of the pile. That might get her to take a few steps towards it and realise that the thing moves. My little guy had no idea what his was for the first few hours - he accidentally discovered that it moved by trying to walk around on it. You could see the little gears turning in his head and then it clicked - this thing moves! Couldn't stop him from running after that. Tumbles may also just need some time to settle in to her new home and get comfortable with the surroundings.

It could also be that she's using it while you're sleeping, though it's usually pretty easy to tell if she has or not as it will most likely look as though it was hit by a septic truck in the morning.
Nebular is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2011, 10:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Puffers315

Give it time, they usually figure it out sooner or later. Some will jump right on without any previous experience and run like greased lightning (my girl did that), and some it may take weeks to finally figure it out, sooner or later, it'll happen. And like Nebular said, you'll know because it'll probably be pooped covered. Though in some rare cases a hedgehog will not go on the wheel (rare is the keyword). You can put a little flour on the bottom and see if its missing the next morning.

Another factor may be darkness, some hedgehogs are prudes and won't run unless they get near or complete darkness. My girl doesn't mind the light of the tv or monitors, my boy won't come out unless its pitch black. For now though, I'd just give her a few weeks.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice.

I'll try enticing her with some food as she never seems to stop eating. Wheel or no wheel, I think she's going to end up a little chubbs due to the sheer amount she eats. You'd swear she'd never been fed.

I think I'll also try putting a bit of flour on her wheel too, but knowing my luck she'll just scamper over it to make me think she's been running on the wheel

She's actually not too bad with the lights being on. At night I have the tv on and always fall asleep while watching something but when I wake up I hear her roaming about and eating.

Fingers crossed, she'll get the hang of it with some time.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Breeders

Black out her cage and I bet she runs all nite.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzatrillz
Suure, she'll dig under it and climb on it to get somewhere else but she just doesn't seem willing to use it.
What type of wheel are you using? I haven't seen one yet that is hedgie safe (solid, not mesh) and able to be climbed though.
silvercat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2011, 03:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryT
Black out her cage and I bet she runs all nite.
Believe me, I've tried. I've thrown some fabric over her cage so that it's pitch black.. me and the boyfriend have sat with just fairy lights on, and let me tell you, those fairy lights just put out enough light to enable me to read at night.. this girl just doesn't want to run
I'm sure some day she'll grasp the purpose of that blue thing that seems to be in her way of digging in her litter tray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercat
What type of wheel are you using? I haven't seen one yet that is hedgie safe (solid, not mesh) and able to be climbed though.
I'm sorry, maybe I was unclear on the climbing she does. She has a flying saucer wheel (from what I've read of the forum, these seem to be perfectly safe, minus the possible issues of joint problems). She climbs over it.. like, she'll climb into her litter tray, climb onto the wheel, somehow menouver herself across the wheel and climb down the other side.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Breeders

If she's a big hog the FS may be to small for her.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryT
If she's a big hog the FS may be to small for her.
Oh, no, she's a tiny little thing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in