Cranky Hedgies - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2014, 05:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Cranky Hedgies

Hi everyone!
Over the past week or so, I've noticed both of my hedgies are becoming very cranky and I'm not sure why.
I still spend the same amount of time with them. I've given them new toys for their cages. I haven't changed their food and all snacks are the same.
B.C is currently experiencing a heat wave (over 40 degrees Celsius- or 104 F- if I calculated that correctly). However, I live in a condo and it stays cool without air conditioning. So the temperature is pretty much the same as I've finally turned my heat off. Lighting is the same, although there is more natural light due to the time of year.
I don't have actual ages for either of my girls. I got Lucy at the end of March and I believe she was born in December, which would make her aprox 7-8 months. She is an albino. Could she be quilling? I've never really had any problems with quilling before in any of my other hedgies, so I'm kind of inexperienced with this.
Gretta is aprox 2 years.
They are both still active and eating. But they are both so huffy. Is this just a phase that will hopefully end soon?
Thanks.
Melanie G. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2014, 05:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Since you live in a condo, I'm assuming your building touches others. Like sharing a wall. Do you think that someone close by may have started using an electric rodent deterrent, the ones that use sonic sounds? That's the only thing I could think of.
DesireeM81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2014, 07:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

I guess it's possible. The unit beside me (which is the wall the hedgehogs are beside) is empty.
I also forgot to add that I have put tiles in both of their cages that they can lay on if they are hot.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

Our Penny wan't running as much lately as usual and I read on a forum here that maybe too much natural/streetlight could be bothering her, it never was a problem in winter but with our longer days it seems to become one! I put a fleece or towel over one end of her cage and that seemed to work. You could try that, it's a simple thing to do and it might fix the problem!
phoenix1964 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2014, 12:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you. I will try that.
I also think I'm going to read up a bit more on quilling. Despite having owned 5 hedgies, I didn't know about quilling until I joined the forum. Do they quill around Lucy's age?
Old 07-15-2014, 07:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

If I remember correctly, they can quill up to a year old. Hedgies do shed and replace quills their whole lives as well. Maybe they just had one bothering them.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

Lucy is at the right age to be quilling, which could explain her grumpiness. I'm not sure about Gretta, though. Has anything changed in their environment, like a new smell?

Just throwing out an idea here, but it's possible that the new toys are upsetting them. I know some hedgehogs hate having their environments changed. Even moving the food bowls to a new location in a cage can make some extremely upset. Lily got all upset when I moved her PVC pipe to the opposite end of her cage, and moved it back every night. Do either of them seem to be upset about their new toys?

6-23-11 ~ 8-18-14
lilythehedgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2014, 12:45 AM   #8 (permalink)

I can't think of anything that has changed. Totally random, but I did get put on a new medication that puts me into temporary menopause (I'm only 31- endometriosis sucks) and I've been hormonal and grumpy. Maybe they are picking up on that?
I think Lucy is quilling. She's never liked being pet but she is freaking out more when I touch her.
And I think you may be right about the new toys. I don't think Gretta likes change. Gretta hasn't played with them (Lucy has and seems to enjoy them). Maybe its a combo of change in her cage and new smells from the new toys.
I also placed a tile in their cages so they could cool off if hot. Lucy ignores it but now that I think about it when I put Gretta on it to show her it, she was not happy. Should I take the tile out even with the warm weather?
Thank you so much! I never would have thought of that.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:02 AM   #9 (permalink)

As long as she doesn't seem to hot, taking out the tile might help her mood. If she does get to hot, then put it back in and hope for a cooler fall.

Tags
change in behavior, quilling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in