Personality is so different between different people? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2014, 02:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Personality is so different between different people?

So as some of you may remember, we got a little boy hedgie, Harvey. And my girl Toast went and lived with my boy friend for a while because she seemed to like him.
But that changed and meet would put her quills down after about aomth of being with him.
But when ever I would come around she would open up right away.
Harvey recently passed and toast came home and is back to normal, is it because I was the one who had her since she was a baby an that she knows who I am?
I'm just curious if she loves me and knows me as her comfort or somthin?
Thanks guys !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2014, 02:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

The first month of being with him she was okay so I don't think it was the house change.
But she would only Open up with me.
Even at my house she only opens up with me. She will sniff my nose, cuddle with me etc. never would do it with him though.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

They do become more bonded to one human sometimes, especially one who's had them since they were young, or done most of their handling. Lily always behaved best with me, though she was relatively friendly for other people & willing to be held with her quills down most of the time. But with me, after a year or so, she would rarely put her quills up, I could pet her, I could give her kisses on the forehead or cheek, etc. The last time I had to leave her to be pet-sat for a week, I found out when I came home that she'd been pretty huffy & quilly all week whenever her sitter tried to say hi or get her out. They brought her out to me - boom, out of her quill ball & walking all over me with quills completely flat & letting me give her tons of kisses. Both of her sitters were completely amazed.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 05:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Haha, I have the opposite problem. I have spent so much more time with my girl than my fiance and I am the only one who takes care of her, and for the first couple months of owning her I was the only one to interact with her, because my fiance was indifferent. But after I got her used to interaction, my fiance decided he really liked her and, while she didn't reciprocate his feelings at first because he was a bit loud and abrupt in his movements, he learned how to make her feel safe and now she loves him, I think sometimes more than me! And I'm pretty sure it's based on the way we interact with her-- he gets down on her level and lays with her, and is more "rough" with her and doesn't let her try to avoid being touched--and she seems to respond well to that and trust him for it. I, on the other hand, tend to sit with her so that my face and voice are farther away from her and I am much more gentle and don't push her to play and be social and let me pet her. She will have her quills flat with me and everything, but he has pushed her to new levels of bonding, so she seems to trust him more.
TikkiLink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2014, 06:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm sorry for your loss with Harvey. He wasn't very old, was he? If you don't mind talking about it, how did he die? I'm not asking out of morbid curiosity, just fellow-hedgehog-owner curiosity. It's amazing how quickly these little critters can steal a piece of our hearts, isn't it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in