Sleepy, not hibernating? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By rodanthi
  • 1 Post By Annie&Tibbers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2014, 08:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sleepy, not hibernating?

I posted a while ago about Hector's daylight schedule because his activity levels were down.

Before I start, reasons why I don't think he is in danger of hibernating: he is always warm to the touch, he always responds immediately (and angrily) to disturbance of his bed, he is active out of his cage with me in the evenings, he has plenty of daylight, and his cage sits at a cosy 26 degrees with 2 CHEs.

He almost never wheels at night now, he has been this way for about 2 weeks. He spends most of the night in his hideout of choice. He isn't even having boy time, which is what he is usually up to if I wonder why he isn't up yet. Sometimes he hops on his wheel, but at a much slower pace than usual and only for a few minutes. I'm used to him running like he is being chased all night!

Things which are the same: his eating, his pooping and his drinking. His activity levels when out of the cage with me are as usual. His legs are ok as he has run around the flat with me on a few evenings and his gait looks fine. I check and trim his nails once or twice a week and it has been a long time since I had an accident cutting them.

Things which are different: I turned his thermostat up to 26 to see if he was just feeling chillier than usual - no change, and I'm not surprised as he went through winter on 24 degrees just fine. His weight - he has gone from 296g to 366g in about a 1,5 months - could this have made him lazy? The change in behaviour is a lot more short term than the gain in weight, he doesn't look overweight and balls up fine. I was trying to help him gain a little as he hadn't grown at all on his own in the first 1.5 months I had him and his sides were like I I instead of a teardrop. His cage has changed place, but only to where it was before so I am not sure why this would have bothered him - I will try moving it back next. His routine has changed in order to maximise the time he has at night while the days are so long - I thought the short nights might have been causing him a problem, so I started handling him before it got dark, so he could go and play on his own as soon as it was dark enough for him. It just means I wake him up at half 7 or 8 instead of 9 now. But the change in routine doesn't appear to have helped.

I read he could be bored - but he shows very little interest in any toys I have tried so far. But he loves exploring the flat supervised (he ferrets about and I crawl around after him).

I did find a whisker wrapped around the knut in his wheel and wondered how much this could have bothered him?

I'm going to try moving his cage next and if that doesn't help or there are no other ideas then I guess I will take him to the vet. I've only had him since he was 3 months, and he is roughly 6 months now, but this isn't like him at all.

Should I see if he feels like being up in the day instead? I'm not suggesting forcing it upon him. Just giving him the option and seeing how he reacts.
rodanthi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2014, 08:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

He might not be feeling well. I might try the vet, but honestly I don't have the experience or any ideas other than he may be sick. I hope he goes back to normal soon!
Teddi4211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2014, 02:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

He definitely isn't ok, whatever is going on. I'm going to try moving his cage back tonight (it used to be in a lighter spot in my room, then I moved it to a darker bit, but now it is in the lighter bit again and I wondered if that would bother him).
If that doesn't help it's off to the vets.

Also noticed your hedgehog is called Phoebe. It's very weird when you meet someone whose pet has the same name as you. :]

Old 06-09-2014, 04:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have heard different lighting can change a hedgehog's behavior. And yes, that's my little baby. She's still so little! It's cool you two share a name!
Teddi4211 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2014, 07:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

I put a blanket over his cage the other night and when I got up in the morning it looked like he had had a party and trashed his cage. So I'm guessing light was the problem.

Not sure why he has become so sensitive to it all of a sudden but I don't mind so long as he is ok. Keeping an eye on him though.
Lilysmommy and phoenix1964 like this.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Glad you figured it out! Hopefully that's all it was and he continues to behave normally now that you got it fixed.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2014, 11:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Lighting can absolutely have a huge impact. My small friend made me buy him blackout curtains after a neighbour bought a new lamp! :/
Lilysmommy likes this.
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2014, 06:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

They're wonderful but they aren't half finicky little creatures. ^-^

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in