Not willing to play the wheel when I looking at him - Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2010, 03:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Angry Not willing to play the wheel when I looking at him

I found that my little boy doesn't like to run the wheel when there is light in his room, he could run nearly 2 miles at night, but if I turned some light and set a camera there, he not going to run that night. He only runs the wheel when it's all dark, I was trying to watch him, I walk very very quiet close to his cage where hiding myself behind the wall, but he stopped running and staying on the wheel only, so I cannot enjoy watching him playing the wheel. Anytime if there's light, just loves to hiding in his tube, but if there's no light such as after 9pm and it's dark in his room, and still have enough lighting for me to watch him, I can still see him running around the cage, if I turn on the light, he would hide into his tube immediately.
xbwoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2010, 04:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Not willing to play the wheel when I looking at him

Haha, yeah, good luck ever seeing him wheeling. Most hedgies don't want to give us that pleasure. If I even come into the room, lights still off, and Pepper's wheeling he stops on a dime and gives me such a dirty look. It's a private thing, I guess.
"You must write every single day of your life…You must lurk in libraries and climb the stacks like ladders to sniff books like perfumes and wear books like hats upon your crazy heads….may you be in love every day for the next 20,000 days. And out of that love, remake a world." Ray Bradbury
jinglesharks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2010, 05:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Lol, Hercules does the exact same thing. Once I turned the light on and busted him on his wheel in a full out run, and he stopped running and looked at me like I'd just caught him doing something bad. It's the funniest thing. I can hear his little feet going at night, but he never lets me watch. The room he's in is just off the living room, and it's pretty dark but not 100%, so if I come in while he's on the wheel without turning any lights on, that's the only time he lets me watch.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Kashi will let me watch if the room is very dimly lit, and only if I stay quite still. Any sudden movements and he will bolt into his house or puff up and turn into a ball!
Old 08-16-2010, 06:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Breeders

I have a couple of small night vision cameras that I installed to the cages,this way I can sit on the couch and watch em on the TV. I move the cameras to a different cage every other day so I can watch another hedgie.....sort of like changing the channel
Old 08-16-2010, 09:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Puffers315

I'm going the route LarryT has done, getting a cheap security camera and plan on setting it up into Loki's cage so I can watch him at night. Otherwise all I hear are their feet going. Hester doesn't mind some light but truthfully isn't overly interesting to watch, she runs and then does a weird lap routine around her cage, then runs some more. Loki on the other hand likes to move things around and I think even gets on top of his house, I put stuff there and find it elsewhere in the morning.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

The only way we know Quinn runs is by the poop he leaves on the wheel for us when we wake up in the morning... otherwise I'd have no idea he was using his wheel. We've even tried putting it on him, but if we're watching, he's not having it.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to karidaluv

Yep! Mine doesn't like you to watch either, but I guess he can't sense me when I'm 3 feet away so I do see him running once in awhile Try stepping back a ways from the cage while the lights are off. They can sense something is near and that's probably why they stop. Last time Rex busted me he ran off his wheel, around into the PVC, around the cage, into the wheel, off the wheel, into the PVC and then into his bed. they are so cute when they do stuff like that!
Old 08-17-2010, 07:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Since i leave my closet light on, and i sleep in the same room as him, I manage to sneak up on him sometimes. Usually though, he stops,drops, and hisses

Eateth not thy foot, lest ye have a replacement.

I killed a dragon yesterday, but your story is much more interesting. Please, do continue.
Hedgie_Magic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2010, 09:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

If mine sensed any light or sound he won't run. He sneakily waits until I am asleep so the only time I hear him is if I wake up suddenly, or I come home late and catch him. Then he always stops and looks guilty.

Curious Little Hedgie Videos Here: http://www.youtube.com/user/EryBeeandCompanee
EryBee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central – Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in