Tips for making Winston feel safe - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Petri

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2014, 08:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tips for making Winston feel safe

We've only had him for a week so I know this takes time. Our hedgehog hisses when woken up and if I hold him he just likes to crawl up to my neck under my hair and even sometimes licks my neck. But, it's hard to hold in my hamds without him hissing and quilling. I am working on his cage. I need a bigger one. He didn't have a wheel there and there isn't one in his cage because it won't fit. We've tried bringing him outside or in the room but he just balls up.

The breeder suggested a ball but I've read here that's a bad idea. He eats all his food which is a mix from the breeder. Is it just a matter of getting him up over and over as days go by and he will hopefully come around? I worry he's not gettung enough exercise since he won't roam around when I take him out even if I do it at night.

I just want to be sure we are doing the right things. I've tried mealworms for treats but he's not interested. He does have freeze dried with his food. He's 7 weeks old.
mommacude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2014, 10:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm a new hedgie owner myself, but maybe some of the issues are bc he was taken from his mother too early? If uve had him for a week and he's only 7 weeks old, that means he was at the most 6 weeks old when taken from the mom. Which from my understanding is the younger end of being separated from his litter. I may be totally wrong so don't go by me. Also my hedgie is very active in his cage, but when I take him out and put him on the table or chair near me(no worries i am right there keeping a close eye on him) he'll either jus stand there or he'll climb on my arm so he can hide his face and he'll fall asleep, but I made a make shift playpen out of cardboard boxes and walked away a little bit, and he was sniffing around and being more active. I think it's because he's still afraid of me, so maybe try playpen and jus be far enuff away so u can see him but he can't see u
Shaddybear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2014, 10:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the tip! I'll try putting together a playpen. You're describing him exactly. I see him moving around eating so I take him out and he'll crawl up and snuggle my neck but not move. I'm going to try to fund a playpen on Craigslist or Facebook groups. Thank you!

My understanding is 6-7 weeks and he had his 6 week birthday the day we got hm. But obviously I'm no expert.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

P.S. I have tons of boxes too. Maybe I can try that.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

Some are just naturally snuggle bunnies and don't play all that much. We have had ours since January and she still hisses when I get her out. I just leave my hand in her cage for a moment or two until she gets my smell, then she unballs and I can easily pick her up. You absolutely have to get her a wheel as soon as possible. Make sure it is a bucket style one for safety, no holes or slits in it for tiny toes to get caught in!
phoenix1964 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2014, 06:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

If you can try getting him to sleep under your hand, it's easier than you might think and just sit with him for a few hours while you watch telly or something. Petri loves to sleep under my hand and even sucks on my finger while trying to get to sleep. He knows im safe to sleep under and its really helped him bond with me.
Petri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2014, 06:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photo I posted didn't work so I shall try again :P but yeah my hog used to be a little grumpy bugger, even bit quite hard a couple times. After getting him to sleep in my hand a couple times he doesn't even hiss at me any more, loves to play about even in bright rooms. Totally changed him, really helps if they know you are safe to be around.
TheteSmith and Shaddybear like this.
Petri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2014, 07:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petri View Post
If you can try getting him to sleep under your hand, it's easier than you might think and just sit with him for a few hours while you watch telly or something. Petri loves to sleep under my hand and even sucks on my finger while trying to get to sleep. He knows im safe to sleep under and its really helped him bond with me.
That sounds like a great idea.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in