hormonal boys (yes, that's a catchy subject) - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2010, 04:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default hormonal boys (yes, that's a catchy subject)

so Harvey is clearly being all hormonal. he indulges in his "boy time" heavily, makes musical noises, bites, and pines away. poor baby! now i am worried about Sweetie who is still too young for that. so a couple of questions: while i know that all hedgeboys like their "boy time," how can i tell the difference between a more normal and problematic hormone level? also, when it comes to the point where Harvey is, does it ever subside, like with the time of the year or no?

also... please do not think that i want to neuter any hedgie because i really, really don't. but i am going to ask this just so i have the information: what led some of you to neuter your hedgies and are there any risks involved? any other info you could share on the subject?

feel free to share stories and otherwise educate me because i'm new to this specific problem. i was waiting for Sweetie to grow up before looking into it... but Harvey came along.
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2010, 04:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: hormonal boys (yes, that's a catchy subject)

What do you main by biting? Is he biting you?

Igor is only 3,5 months old and I haven't seen him having 'boy-time'. At what age does this start?
Venusdoom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2010, 04:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venusdoom
What do you main by biting? Is he biting you?

Igor is only 3,5 months old and I haven't seen him having 'boy-time'. At what age does this start?
yeah, he's biting, but that's ok. i just hate seeing him so dejected.

i think it starts after 6 months? Sweetie is 5 and it hasn't started yet.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hi there,

Could you elaborate a bit more on why exactly you feel he has a problem because other than the biting (if he's biting you) I'm uncertain why exactly you're concerned.
I always thought the idea of male hedgies having their boy time was one of the "funnier" fun facts about them. Both of my hedgies have mood swings (and I have a male and female) but I figure they're just like the rest of us! For ours, if they are being moody (spiking up, huffing, popping more than usual~ we just give them their space) then later on, or sometimes the next day, they are back to normal. Our male is CONSTANTLY playing with himself in one way or another but I've never viewed it as a problem (except that cleaning his cage sometimes is a bit different than cleaning hers lol...). I think he's about 10/11 months old or so (not sure because he's a rescue) but I never actually thought about the fact that he may grow out of it. I don't have much experience, since we've had him only since April, but I just always viewed it as an okay thing. I may actually start to worry about him if he stops doing it!
Old 08-06-2010, 05:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

What do you mean by 'all the time'? I mean, everytime you look at him he's doing it or...???
Venusdoom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2010, 05:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venusdoom
What do you mean by 'all the time'? I mean, everytime you look at him he's doing it or...???

Me? Well, yes and no. Every time he's awake he plays with himself in one way or another (with his mouth, paws, rubbing himself on something etc). I mean, he doesn't do it constantly~ it's not the only thing he does. It's more of a wake up ritual and then a few more times in between, probably before bed too, after a bath...you name it. I guess I just view it more as him making himself happy as opposed to feeling bad for him not having a female to mate with. Boys will be boys as they say!
Old 08-06-2010, 05:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Boy time can start at 6-7 weeks old. Certainly not all of them do at that age, but it is possible. Most of them start about 3-4 months. Some of them are discreet about it, others don't care and will do it any time and any place. I've had a few boys that I've never found any evidence of them doing it and others, every time I pick them up I get a wet hand.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2010, 05:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy
Boy time can start at 6-7 weeks old. Certainly not all of them do at that age, but it is possible. Most of them start about 3-4 months. Some of them are discreet about it, others don't care and will do it any time and any place. I've had a few boys that I've never found any evidence of them doing it and others, every time I pick them up I get a wet hand.
Sweetie is hyper-active, so i think he'll run off some of the steam.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

ok, Linda Woodring from the HWS list said that she hadn't heard of any behavior getting so obsessive that it'd be bad for them, so Mr McSteamy can keep at it without his mama fretting too much.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
PJM
Rescue

McSteamy - haha!!

PJM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in