MAJOR change in Kashi's behavior! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2010, 01:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default MAJOR change in Kashi's behavior!

So I've been handling Kashi everyday for the past 2 weeks that I have had him.

Tonight I saw a drastic change in his behavior!

Usually, he will huff and sometimes even roll up into a ball when I first take him out... and I usually handle him for around an hour or two in the evening (anywhere from between 6 to 9 PM).

Today I was out until late and I only came home around 11:30 PM. I looked into his cage when I came home (it was dark so he was already up and about), and when I saw that he was awake, I took him out of his cage and placed him on my lap.

When I took him out, there was no huffing whatsoever. He had his quills slightly raised, but after a little while of me talking to him and petting his back quills, they all went down. Afterwards he let me touch his visor quills, his face, his ears AND his sides without him huffing or getting spooked! He then attempted to burrow into the fleece blanket, rolled over onto his side, and gave my hand a couple of licks...

I'm kinda shocked at his sudden change in behavior
I have NEVER been able to touch his face and sides without him huffing!

I guess this is progress... but WOW what a jump!

Old 06-19-2010, 01:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: MAJOR change in Kashi's behavior!

Congrats on that!
My little guy still huffs a bit, but he's pretty good about me coming near him.
Progress

yay! lol
Old 06-19-2010, 12:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Do you usually have the lights on when you take him out? I ask because Hershi does the same thing, light vs dark. When the lights are out and only the laptop screen is on, she won't huff at me, and walks all around my table, etc. And the licking, I usually move my hand away from her once she does that because she has proven to me that lick lick = chomp.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sounds like you've found a good time in his schedule for him to be friendlier. Try sticking to that time and see if it helps.

I took Riley out yesterday too close to his eating time and he wouldn't settle down. Finally I set him back in his house and he pigged out then went to bed. Poor guy was hungry!
Old 06-19-2010, 01:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1024
Do you usually have the lights on when you take him out? I ask because Hershi does the same thing, light vs dark. When the lights are out and only the laptop screen is on, she won't huff at me, and walks all around my table, etc. And the licking, I usually move my hand away from her once she does that because she has proven to me that lick lick = chomp.
Usually I take him out with the lights on, yes, but I had the lights on this time too. I had my lights off before because I had been away all day (no one was there to turn on the lights once it got dark). I think maybe he preferred being handled this time because he had woken up by himself, as opposed to me forcing him awake
Yeah, he's done that to my sister and mom, so I was about to move my hand away, but he didn't bite, instead he licked, lost interest and decided to lay down by my hand haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by krbshappy71
Sounds like you've found a good time in his schedule for him to be friendlier. Try sticking to that time and see if it helps.

I took Riley out yesterday too close to his eating time and he wouldn't settle down. Finally I set him back in his house and he pigged out then went to bed. Poor guy was hungry!
Yeah, I think he prefers waking up at his own pace... I mean I don't blame him because I can be quite grumpy myself if I'm woken up from sleeping
I'll try handling him later at night again. Maybe I should darken my room (so that only one of my lights are on) and see if he feels less grumpy about being woken up?
Old 06-19-2010, 04:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quilly gets grumpy when I wake him up randomly too. He prefers waking up on his own, at some point. But I can't help it, I just love playing with him! After a few minutes he isn't grumpy anymore...lol
Old 06-19-2010, 07:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

I giggled a little when I noticed JD calls their hedgie 'Quilly.' That's my girl's nickname.

Anyway, well done on finding Kashi's friendly time. Sounds like you two are already becoming good friends.
There's never enough.
All we wanna do is have a good time,
Having lots of fun with all these friends of mine.
All we wanna do is celebrate.
Every time we've been together, it's been great.
Looking for adventure, big and small.
Just being with our friends like you is all we wanna do.
Sela is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2010, 07:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sela
I giggled a little when I noticed JD calls their hedgie 'Quilly.' That's my girl's nickname.

Anyway, well done on finding Kashi's friendly time. Sounds like you two are already becoming good friends.
That's funny! What's your hedgies full name??
Old 06-19-2010, 08:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Sounds like he likes 11:30 much better than earlier. Inky does the same thing, where he will huff and puff, but if you hold him while he was already awake, or at least very late, he doesn't mind at all. Of course, that only works for those of us who like to be up at midnight...

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2010, 01:37 AM   #10 (permalink)

Yeah... I definitely think it's the time I wake him up that makes him so huffy... because I took him out again half an hour ago (it's 12:36 AM over here in Montreal) and he did not huff at all. Now he is burrowing in his fleece blanket and getting all nice and comfy some more splatting time... I should probably put him back into his cage soon so that he can go for a run, and do what he needs to do... but yes, I definitely think it's at what time I'm handling him!

This time works just fine for me though, because I am usually not in bed until 1 AM the earliest :P

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in