Moody broody (please help!) - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sprinkles_the_hedgehog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2014, 12:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Moody broody (please help!)

Dear reader,
My hedgie sprinkles has always been quite a sweetie pie but lately her personallity turned upside down. I left town for Christmas and was gone a while my cousin took care of her but didn't interact with her much (I think she intimidates him) i also broke my collarbone while on my vacation (shigh) and I feel bad she wasn't getting much attention. When I got her out today however she did SOMTHING I had never experienced her doing EVER!!! She bit me. Not a nibble or a sniff but it drew blood. I decided to observe her for a while and discovered she was getting curled more than ever, biting everything, and strangely itching a lot( she isn't quilling i promise) is there some food I should get into her diet or a way I can safely have her out with my broken bone?!?!? I'm not sure what to do!!!
All help is appreciated,
A confused loving owner
Sprinkles_the_hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2014, 01:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

Sounds like she's just been left unsocialized too long, so you'll need to spend regular time with her until she's used to you again. Giving her something safe that smells like you (a chunk of fleece you've slept with is a popular choice) to sleep with can also help.

The itching makes me wonder if she's picked up some mites? You can sometimes spot them by rubbing your hedgehog with dark cloth, then inspecting any flecks to see if they move under bright cloth, but that doesn't always work. The surest symptom is frantic scratching.

Mites are easily treated at the vet. Some vets will want to use Ivermectin injections, but that's really easy to overdose, and hedgehogs can have allergic (even fatal) reactions to it. Instead, most forum users prefer topical Revolution, which is much harder to overdose, and the rare side effects are milder (possibly a rash, but not fatal!).

I'm not sure if I caught you on your first few forum posts; if I didn't, welcome to the forum! If you haven't seen it, here's the care guide I make sure to link everyone to.
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2014, 09:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

Ok so how do I wipe her with the cloth? Should I just wipe smoothly Down her quills or do I have to get under them? Oh I should add in that ever since I got her she will completely attach herself to a little section of the carpet, those little chompers of hers hold her to my rug even when I am trying to get her off!!!! Is that odd?
Sprinkles_the_hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 09:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sprinkles must have just had a bad week. She has been doing fine sconce Monday. I am proud to say she is mite-free (99.9% sure) and happy again
Lilysmommy likes this.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Awesome! Sorry, I missed the thread-update when you were asking for detailed help.
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in