two hedgies - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By abbys

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2013, 01:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default two hedgies

ive got two baby girls. theyre about 9 and a half or ten weeks old. one little girl loves to get out of her cage and run around, but sometimes she heads straight for under the couch and sleeps. It makes me wonder why she wanted out so bad.

my second hedgie. alright i got her spur of the moment. we were only going to get one, and either my mom or i suggested two, so we got two. So we are going to pick up the first one right, and picking out the second one from the litter of hedgehogs that is left. But, i know (from picking the first hedgehog) that i dont have a lot of time with this lady. shes in a hurry or something. Ideally i wouldve wanted about 5 minutes or three minutes with each hedgehog. They were not moving around much. So i picked the only one that was doing anything, she was digging in the aspen. I think she likes to dig a lot.

This hedgie. idk. I have tried holding her, she stays completely still almost as if she doesnt like it. If i put her on the floor, she wont go anywhere. I think she perfers to be covered pretty much at all times. She loves to dig, but i dont want to put aspen in the cage, and i havent made her a dig box or anything yet.

My dad is building running wheels but theyre not here yet, hes doing some chores for my mom first.

Anyway i put this hedgie on me and let her chill, but when i look to see, her face quills are still half up. so who knows if she ever completely lets her guard down. She is not as grumpy towards me, and if i have her out in the open in my hand, sometimes she will want to explore around. But if i have her under my shirt, she doesnt want to move. And if i set her on the ground, she wont go anywhere. So, i get her out and put her under my shirt, but i dont even know if she likes it. I have been handling them daily, but the one, i dont keep her out more than ten minutes a day, because im not sure if its stressing her out or if she doesnt want to be there.

sorry for the long post
jngy slate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sometimes I'll let Pig run around but he'll just sit there staring for several minutes like his brain broke. It's weird, but it doesn't seem to be because of anything negative. Maybe it just takes him a while to figure out where he is.

Keep handling her every day, for at least 30 minutes if possible. She may just prefer to cuddle rather than explore.
Chloethehedgie7 likes this.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Have you ever had them out together?

Just wondering how your two interact with each other...?
ZooGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

I would try making it more entertaining like setting some toy balls down and treats like cooked carrots etc. Maybe she's not interested in the set up? I have a hedgehog name Opal, she doesn't move much! It's nothing wrong, but just her personality. I guess some hedgehogs can be like that. Or maybe she is distracted by a sent of a dog? Chloe does not like dogs, at all. Like when I hold my dog and I get the sent of dog on me, Chloe huffs like crazy! Lol, she's funny about that stuff haha. I hope all goes well.
Chloethehedgie7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

ZooGirl: I know you're in learning-mode, so I'm jumping in with a longer conceptual response. Short version: hedgehogs are typically solitary creatures.

Males & females out at the same time will mate. If housed together, they'll eat the children. Big bad stress for everyone involved, booo!

Males & males out at the same time are sometimes ok, more likely they'll get into territorial fights. No fun, generally not recommended, but if you do it, carefully supervise and be ready to intervene (and yes, it'll probably be a prickly, painful intervention at best)

Females & females (like jngy slate's situation) can get along, and more rarely fight. Not living together but having supervised playtime can work (again, be ready to intervene, although fights are less likely), but most of the time they'll just ignore each other. Housing them together is most likely to work with sisters or mother-daughter pairs, but occasionally works with strangers. Dual housing complicates identifying if someone is eating or drinking less, producing unusual waste, or is less active, and fights can happen even after years of peaceful cohabitation. If a female is pregnant in cohousing, she will likely cannibalize her young.
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

yes if one of them started losing weight i would seperate them. i know whose poop is whose though lol. one of them has a lighter color poop and may be overcoming an illness or stress. one i think is getting a little chubby, i cant wait to put the running wheels in there.

thank you for the help! so much. today little girl was a bit more active, she ran all around in my sweater. i put her in a pair of sweatpants on the floor and she just sat there. so i put her back in my sweater lol. ive got them some cat balls with jingle bells in them, but they didnt play with them for a couple of days so i took them out. I can put them back in though. They have two pvc pipes in the cage and ive always seen them stick to the same pipes.

Zoogirl i have seen them go in the same shoebox for sleeping together once, but i dont put them together. once it got hot when my ac broke and they both splatted in the shoebox. maybe they were trying to get away from the che bt i would think the che would turn off.

i am going to have my granny make some hedgebags for them. My bigger girl used to escape all the time and sometimes she would head for this rug, so i put the rug in there. Its frayed but its not looped so it doesnt look like they can get their legs caught in it. its most likely just temporary. Other than the cat balls i dont really have toys for them i need to get some

Last edited by jngy slate; 12-09-2013 at 09:01 PM.
jngy slate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

I think the jingle bells scare them.

Ours loves a small nubby ball that was in the dog toy section. She can grab it by the nubby parts and carry it, or she will roll it around with her nose.

Mostly, though, she just likes her human jungle gyms.
Haley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in