Nervous to pick up Jody - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #11 (permalink)

I apologize if someone already mentioned this but here's a tip to help him get comfortable with you:

Wear a tshirt for a couple of days. I know it sounds a little gross but it's for a good cause. Without washing the shirt, place the shirt in the cage with the hedgehog. It will get him used to your scent. It'll help get him not so nervous and scared of you.

New hedgebag designs and hedgehog manga series coming soon!
Beloved Doll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

Don't hesitate! Just go for the dive! Hahaha.

What I realize now is that in the beginning, I didn't scoop underneath her far enough (if that makes sense). You literally have to have the back of your hands on the floor, and scoop! I always picked her up around her middle section, and of course there are still quills there and I end up prickling myself. :P Definitely try having your hands on the floor, palms up, and SCOOP!

Or, if you are nervous (I am still a little uneasy with picking up Wonton in the morning because she is such a sassy poo), you can opt for a shirt to pick your hedgie up first (like what everyone suggested.)

Good luck! You'll get so used to your hedgie that the "pops", growls, and hisses won't even surprise you anymore! Maybe the yawns...Those yawns still scare me. HAHA.
MomLady and Axel1012 like this.
LittleWontonPoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #13 (permalink)

i found being repetitious whe reaching in ...I always called his name in a 'sing song ' then let him smell me then scooped him up...my hedgie would stick his head out when Id call his name after a few months... (NOT now)

you will get used to the way he feels, even my 10yo can hold him when he's all spinned out as long as he isnt moving...my kids put socks on their hands...our breeder said they still have human scent on them...( their clean FYI...just hedgies scence of smell being so keen hahaha)
mdelu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 10:03 PM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to hedgiebum14

i know how it feels to be afraid of a hedgie, for me, i have a high pain tolerance so i held my first hedgie all day until my hands were full of little red holes, for i realize that some people are not as tolerant, try holding her in a hat or small felt bag of sorts, in a blanket or towel will work fine to, but move slowly.
tofrus likes this.

previous monsters whom i miss:

2009-2013
in a foster home and both doing well
hedgiebum14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #15 (permalink)

For bonding, I have recently started carrying my hedgehogs around in the hood of my hoodie. I put it on backwards (so the hood is in the front) and stick them in (not together, of course). They go to sleep and I'm able to cook dinner, do laundry etc without disturbing them too much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 549599_10201072077074479_1622207754_n.jpg (94.4 KB, 18 views)
tofrus likes this.

Primrose became a part of my family on September 5th, 2012.

Ivy became a part of my family on May 1st, 2013.

Check out mine Prim's, and Ivy's Instagram http://instagram.com/julieanne1991/
JulieAnne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieAnne View Post
For bonding, I have recently started carrying my hedgehogs around in the hood of my hoodie. I put it on backwards (so the hood is in the front) and stick them in (not together, of course). They go to sleep and I'm able to cook dinner, do laundry etc without disturbing them too much.
I love that idea. I need to put hooded sweatshirt on my Christmas list, because I don't have any.
Haley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #17 (permalink)

One of the best pieces of advice I ever got about hedgies is to remember that they are DIVAS. They act like its the worst thing in the world. They are fine. I promise
ceopet and ChelseaGrace like this.
raurora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #18 (permalink)

Haha -- Diva is precisely the right word.
I just got Ralphie.. a little over a week ago, and we've bonded quite well, but when I wake him up in the morning he is a GRUMPY little ball of fury. (When I say morning I mean evening, his morning haha.) Anyway, I pick him up with my t-shirt initially, then I let him wonder around in my hands and he falls asleep for a little while, then is ready to play. He's taken to me very well which excites me because he was 1 1/2 years when I bought him.

As for bonding tips, what I do is take him out of his cage every evening, two times, at the same times every day.

Was that confusing? Haha.
I take him out between 6:00-6:30 PM at first (when he's usually a giant grump), then he sleeps on my arm for about an hour, then we play for an hour, then I put him back in his cage and he goes back to sleep.
Then around 11:00 PM - 11:30 PM he wakes up on his own and I hear him making ruckus in his cage, so I go in his room to be sure he's eaten/had water, then I get him out and he's ready to play.. Sometimes for an hour, sometimes much longer.. lol. Then when he finally falls back asleep I put him back into his cage, then he sleeps awhile, runs on his wheel, and falls back to sleep around dawn.
Just make sure you're handling your hedgie enough that he knows you aren't going to hurt him. The shirt trick works.

Also, try giving him a bath. My hedgie loves baths and calmed down quite a bit after I gave him one. I will actually be giving him another today. He's active and makes messes.. lol.

Hope this helped and good luck!!
Old 04-16-2020, 02:51 PM   #19 (permalink)

Yep, I agree with everyone here! just be patient and pick your hedgie up every day. Soon they'll be used to you. Our little guys don't make it easy to pick them up, but after all, that's their goal. You can use a fleece or towel as people have already mentioned. Best of luck! I was scared at first also, but it's ok now. Just be patient, you'll do great!
HedgieloveHershey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in