Solving the pooping on the wheel problem ;) - Page 2 - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2009, 02:22 PM   #11 (permalink)

Default Re: Solving the pooping on the wheel problem ;)

Given that hedgies are largely nocturnal creatures, there exists the distinct possibility that yours is not running as much as a hedgie could/should if you take out the wheel at night. Leaving it in during the day only might seem like you're giving a hedgie the option to choose to run.

Mine, for example, hardly ever does anything during the daytime... even if her beloved wheel is available. She's a night-time runner who does quite well with pooping & running at night, but once the sun is up/lights are on, has run on her wheel only one time that I can remember... and she's lived with me the past 2.5 years.

So if you're taking it out every night, or more nights than not, then you're probably just depriving your hedgie from getting needed exercise. I suspect the perception that this is what's going on is what's getting people all concerned and riled up. If you've just taken it out once or twice and now hedgie has his wheel all night every night and is running a good long time (and pooping elsewhere), that's probably fine... delightful even.
Marlee Twyla Hufflepuff -- Big little girl
smhufflepuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2009, 02:51 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morel3etterness
I started to take his wheel out every night before I went to bed and I would hear him trying to climb the cage to reach it (The wheel being on the top of the cage but outside of the cage).
This part alone is enough to make everyone worry. He could have easily tried to climb, fallen, and broken a leg. I think the price to pay in cleaning a messy wheel, is far less damaging than to have a hedgie with a broken leg or internal bleeding...

But that's just my opinion. I hope yours will be fine with this training you are attempting to implement upon him. ^_^

Good Luck.
Immortalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2009, 09:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morel3etterness
Woah, people need to chill. I didn't do anything fatal here. I took the wheel out the first few times I saw him destroy it with poop....and it was only taken out during night hours. I put it back in the morning and was in there all day again. Now I notice he doesn't make a mess of it. Whose to say they aren't smart enough to learn not to use their wheel as a bathroom if they can be litter trained? I say whatever works, works. Im not complaining about cleaning it daily, as I do anyway, I am just training him not to use it as a litter box and it seems to have worked.
I don't see why you would tell people to chill when they are trying to help you. You posted something that you may have thought was a good idea to solve a problem but ended up being a dangerous one. Everyone that posted was giving you information to help and to explain why it was dangerous. Everything posted was with your hedgehogs best interest in mind and I find it very disrespectful that your response to it would be "people need to chill". There is first time owners that read this site, so when members see something that is dangerous they are sure to comment on it so others don't follow suit because they think what is being said is safe.

If you choose now to go against what has been recommended when it is an undisputed danger here then there is nothing that can be done. All that can be done now is to hope you make a good decision based on the information you've been given.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:03 AM   #14 (permalink)

I accept the advice and I am glad to get any advice from long time owners! I just don't want anyone thinking I am purposely trying to "punish" an animal. I am just trying out training techniques. I became worried when I heard him trying to climb and that put an end to taking the wheel out because he was clearly looking for it. In the same respect, he seemed to get a hint that he shouldn't use it as his litter box. I think I had taken it out 2 nights in a row and then put it back in. I did notice a huge difference with it though. Now hes on it all night and no smell.

I did have a question though that I have seen in a lot of photos of cages on here.... do people generally feel it's better to keep a thin blanket down in the cage as opposed to bedding? I could imagine spot cleaning would be easier but does it seem to work better with a blanket?
Old 12-08-2009, 02:13 AM   #15 (permalink)

Yes, majority of owners use fleece liners. If you do a search in the General Questions or Housing & Accessories section I'm sure you can find lots of info on them.

LizardGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in