Daytime restlessness - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Daytime restlessness

So, little hedgehog has me a bit concerned.

The weirdness:
1. Little hedgehog typically runs 7-9 km per night, decreasing to 3-4 km per night if his front nails are too long, and down to mere meters if they get way too long. All his nails were freshly trimmed late last week, which he celebrated by going on an epic 13km run. After his epic run, the following night he ran 1 km, then less than 1 km, then less than 1 km again last night.
2. Little hedgehog usually briefly rouses sometime in the late afternoon to restlessly claw-dig at the floor for ~5min. For the last several days, he's been waking up repeatedly (every few hours: at noon, at 2pm, at 4pm...) to restlessly claw-dig at the floor for ~15min or until his humans come over to talk to him.

Things that have stayed the same:
- His lights go on & off at 7:00 am/pm.
- Temperature has been steady at 74F for months.
- Food, water, & treat consumption are normal.
- Waste production is normal.
- Little paws look fine -- no scratches, tangled hair/thread, etc.
- No reason to suspect injury (no trauma I've witnessed, no flinch reactions, no visible wounds)

Things have have changed:
- Ambient weather has changed: the polar jet stream has made its seasonal meander, so we've had pressure changes (and oscillations between grey-rain to sunny-skies) over the past week.
- A set of cactuses moved into the house (same room, meters away) 2 weeks ago.
- A huge amount of dust was raised in his room 2 weeks ago; dust was sufficient to provoke my allergies for several days, but little hedgehog made no indications (sneezes, sniffles, runny nose, etc) that it bothered him.
- Nightly routine has shifted to start with cuddling the co-keeper instead of me first.

So once again, it's not such a huge shift in behaviour that I'm deeply concerned, but the barely-running paired with interrupted-sleep makes me think that something is wrong that I haven't figured out yet. Any ideas on why my little diva is unhappy? Ideas of what to check?
Annie&Tibbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'd place my bets on the weather - even when they're inside and absolutely nothing changes in their temperature & light, they can sense weather changes, and major shifts or impending storms, etc. can affect their behavior.

If anything else changes though, or if weather evens back out and his behavior doesn't change, it might be worth a vet visit, just in case...but it's up to you, since a vet visit without many symptoms to give the vet to work with can be difficult & may end up being a waste of money.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2013, 01:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

It really is one of those moments I wish he could just tell me what's up. Is he taking a break from his epic run? Does the change in pressure bother him as much as it does me and he'll be fine once the weather settles? Did he tweak an ankle? Does his wheel offend him? Have the gremlins been tormenting him while I sleep? Has he learned to nudge the magnet out of line for the odometer? Is he spending all his time racing through his tubes instead of on his wheel? Is he dreaming of digging into the apartment below ours? Is he plotting his escape? Is he sulking now the cactuses are another spiky resident, usurping his previously-unique status?

...which all ultimately comes down to, "Is he being a diva, or is something actually wrong?" I'll find out in a few days, I guess.
Lucy likes this.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

Is this little hedgehog a boy? I have 1 very hyperactive male hedgie that runs all night straight til 8 or 9am as well. Worried me at first coz his metabolism is way faster than his appetite. I feed all of my hedgehogs 4-5 times a day/night with kibbles and about 9-10 superworms a day per hedgie but for me they're not fat enough. I could be just a worry bee though lol.

Neil

" With great power comes great electricity bill... "
Tongue_Flicker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yes, my little friend is a boy. ...and the weather shifted again overnight, and he ran less than 100m. Argh!

If you have a crazy-runner, you can make his kibble-mix higher fat to maintain his weight. The easiest way to do this is to add in a kitten kibble.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

I may not have an answer for the less running component, but my buddy has been trying to burrow through his liner for a couple days now too! Wakes me up, and its super loud. So you are not alone
raurora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2013, 02:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie&Tibbers View Post
Yes, my little friend is a boy. ...and the weather shifted again overnight, and he ran less than 100m. Argh!

If you have a crazy-runner, you can make his kibble-mix higher fat to maintain his weight. The easiest way to do this is to add in a kitten kibble.
Yes, sure will. I've increased his superworm intake as well as it seems he wont be storing fats anytime soon lol

Neil

" With great power comes great electricity bill... "
Tongue_Flicker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2013, 05:46 AM   #8 (permalink)

Macey is doing the burrowing/scratching thing as well, just started a couple weeks ago, I thought it odd but nothing more.

deftones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2013, 01:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

To prove that my small friend is a total diva: he's started running again. 4km, so not full-distance, but still way less concerning than the 100m nights. I'm going to assume it was the weather throwing him off his stride.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanks for the update! Glad he's gone somewhat back to normal...they do like to worry us.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in