Hedgehog Central  Hedgehog pet care & owner forum

Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hedgehog Personality and Behaviour (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Problem (https://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35937)

LuckyLucky 11-05-2013 10:23 AM

Problem

My Lucky lets me touch him and his quills and have me on his lap. When I hold him though, he makes really loud sounds and dig his claws into my skin. I have had him for 4 months now. Could someone please help.:confused:

Nancy 11-05-2013 11:11 AM

What kind of sounds?

AngelaH 11-05-2013 12:57 PM

Do you have lotion on your hands or use a strong scented soap?

LittleWontonPoo 11-05-2013 04:04 PM

Does he normally claw onto you? Because he could be scared of the height, and he wants to be holding tightly in case he falls. I think Wonton does that too. She clings on to me when she is on my hand - reasonable because even I would be a little uneasy if I was standing on a small platform a metre or so away from the floor.

LuckyLucky 11-05-2013 11:02 PM

He makes scared sounds. I do not use any strong scented lotion or soap. He normally does not claw me

Tongue_Flicker 11-06-2013 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleWontonPoo (Post 284097)
Does he normally claw onto you? Because he could be scared of the height, and he wants to be holding tightly in case he falls. I think Wonton does that too. She clings on to me when she is on my hand - reasonable because even I would be a little uneasy if I was standing on a small platform a metre or so away from the floor.

Hedgies normally have poor eyesight and has a proven bad sense of depth perception so i don't think it matters to the cute critter whether he/she will fall from any height.

@lucky2x: could you describe the sound and how loud or faint was it?

LuckyLucky 11-06-2013 10:14 AM

It was a very loud chittering noise which he makes when he is scared

Chloethehedgie7 11-06-2013 03:29 PM

That's strange. Hmmm, have you taken him to a vet?

LittleWontonPoo 11-06-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlonelyboy (Post 284625)
Hedgies normally have poor eyesight and has a proven bad sense of depth perception so i don't think it matters to the cute critter whether he/she will fall from any height.

Really? I did consider them having bad eyesight, but Wonton seems to know when she's on the edge of the table or couch and would stop and "inspect". If she's on my lap, she would do the same thing, but she knows she is not too far from the couch and it is safe to slowly slide down.

I suppose they do have poor eyesight, but they are not so poor that they are nearly blind?

Tongue_Flicker 11-07-2013 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyLucky (Post 284729)
It was a very loud chittering noise which he makes when he is scared

Do you have a cat or a dog that you may have handled before handling your hedgie?
He maybe freaked out by the smell? It may also be possible that he caught one of his nails in the threading of your pants or shirt and it startled him a bit.

I've only heard 3 kinds of hedgie sounds so far.

A soft, cute whistle usually made by babies when their mom is wandering around.
A loud, cat-like screech that usually happens during breeding time when a female is unwilling or not in the mood.
And a faint, bird-like chirp that i heard twice when i disturbed my hedgie's sleep lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleWontonPoo (Post 285041)
Really? I did consider them having bad eyesight, but Wonton seems to know when she's on the edge of the table or couch and would stop and "inspect". If she's on my lap, she would do the same thing, but she knows she is not too far from the couch and it is safe to slowly slide down.

I suppose they do have poor eyesight, but they are not so poor that they are nearly blind?

They're not blind. They're eyes are very sensitive to lights and shadows as well as very movement-oriented. As for their depth perception, they're good with breaking a downward slide but they seem to fall a lot, vertically. Lol..

i have this one extreme choco female whose about 9 months old now and she usually escapes her bin at least once a month, between 3am to 5am and falls down, 3 feet high. I placed a carpet and some old clothes around the stand so she's cushioned every time she falls.