licking biting and sleeping - new hedgehog! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2009, 06:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default licking biting and sleeping - new hedgehog!

I got my first hedgehog, a beautiful 8 week old little girl

We put her in her cage and she looked around for a second and went right to the food! then had a little drink, looked around, and ate more, then she threw up a little. I am not too worried because it was such a big change and she ate so much right away.

After watching her quietly for about 10mins we left her alone for about 6 hours, when we came back my boyfriend put his hand in the cage, didnt try to pet her, just put his hand beside her.
After a few seconds of confusion and a few huffs she started sniffing him, then licking him which i thought was adorable... but then followed with 2 nips.

He had just had a shower, so no food was on him or anything. She didnt clamp down but it was enough to shock him

Also, for the whole first day she just slept out in the open in the middle of the cage, not in the igloo i had set up with some little stips of fleece in it.
This morning after hearing her rummaging around for most of the night i peeked in and she is in her igloo, im not worried about this stuff. Just curious as to why she did it
christine. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2009, 07:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Hooked on Hogs

Default Re: licking biting and sleeping - new hedgehog!

Everything sounds normal except for the vomiting which was probably that she ate too much or too fast.

Don't let her lick. Licks are more often followed by a bite than not so don't allow her to lick bare skin. Many hedgehogs like to lick, bite and chew clothing which is fine to let her do. Just watch she doesn't grab skin when grabbing the cloth.

Retired from breeding

Rescue contact for both the Hedgehog Welfare Society and the IHA
Rescued over 70 (and counting) hedgehogs needing a new home

http://freewebs.com/thehedgieden/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2009, 12:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: licking biting and sleeping - new hedgehog!

Ok thank you so much for the advice im just an over protective new mom i guess lol when i noticed that she was lying in the middle of her cage i made my boyfriend check if she was breathing! lol im just so worried already, but everything comes with time and i love my little jelly bean
christine. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in