Hedgehog bit me! - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2013, 12:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Hedgehog bit me!

I had Archibald out and was letting him run through some water to clean his feet. He isn't a big fan of water so after bath time I always give him a few mealworms as a treat for being a good boy. Well this time, after he ate the mealworm, I just kept my hand were it was and he bit me. Hard. I was bleeding a good amount. Why did he do this? Did I do something wrong? I got him just this last May. Is this normal?
Julie101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2013, 01:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Were you feeding the mealworms with your hands? He could probably smell them on you and thought he was biting a mealworm. Hand feeding can lead to biting and isn't recommended.

http://www.quillsnthings.webs.com
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Fionna bites us all the time. The worst bite I have received (so far) is when I had fish oil on my hand, she chomped down and would not let go.

She also bites our toes. I genuinely believe she thinks we are food sometimes.
Carolinamidwife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rescue

hedgehogs have terrible eyesight + hand smelled like worm = OUCH
jerseymike1126 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2013, 11:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

Alright I need some help. My hedgie is 3 months old and has been biting (he draws blood every time) He has bitten me 5 times in 2 days, when I get home from work I pull him out and watch tv or read and he likes to sleep under my shirt on my tummy well that's where he's starting to bite! Before he'd get my fingers and my palm. I don't use any scented lotions or perfumes. The breeder said that his uncle went through a biting phase that lasted till he was 6 months old. She came and looked at him and said she thinks its curiosity biting. He has also hissing way more than normal. The weather is changing here can that cause anything like this? When he does bite I blow in his face but it's hard when he's underneath my shirt! Obviously he won't be allowed to sleep under my shirt till he stops. At this point I am about ready to send him back to the breeder. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Kdsmart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2013, 11:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Sending him back seems a bit hasty to me right now. For the under-the-shirt biting, is there any possibility that he's biting because something smells interesting? More sweat than usual, some kind of smell left from work, or a new body wash that you're using? If none of those things apply either, then he might just be going through a puberty thing. Start using a fleece blanket or something similar to cuddle him in instead when you guys hang out. For hand/finger biting, the main suggestion I've seen for that is just to keep your fingers back away from his face if you can. If you have him out for awhile and don't get any bites, reward with a treat/mealie/etc. and keep that up. Any time he's out and bites, no treats/rewards. Not sure if a hedgie would catch onto that distinction, but it might work! You might get some more ideas from others as well. Good luck and hopefully his new phase doesn't last long!
Tamoshanter and ajweekley like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2013, 09:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdsmart View Post
Alright I need some help. My hedgie is 3 months old and has been biting (he draws blood every time) He has bitten me 5 times in 2 days, when I get home from work I pull him out and watch tv or read and he likes to sleep under my shirt on my tummy well that's where he's starting to bite! Before he'd get my fingers and my palm. I don't use any scented lotions or perfumes. The breeder said that his uncle went through a biting phase that lasted till he was 6 months old. She came and looked at him and said she thinks its curiosity biting. He has also hissing way more than normal. The weather is changing here can that cause anything like this? When he does bite I blow in his face but it's hard when he's underneath my shirt! Obviously he won't be allowed to sleep under my shirt till he stops. At this point I am about ready to send him back to the breeder. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
send him back to the breeder?!
shell1805 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2013, 11:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdsmart View Post
I think sending him back may be a bit harsh! My first hedgie, Macy, likes to bite, sometimes. Sometimes it will be a period of a few days and sometimes it will be weeks apart. I have noticed that the earlier I wake her up, the grumpier and more likely she will be to bite me. She also will be more nibbly if I handle her less than usual for a few days (by nibbly, I am sugar coating. Macy draws blood and will dangle off the floor and hang out under running tap water until she decides she wants to let go- vicious.) Don`t take your hedgie back! Like some others have said, it may just be a phase, maybe curiosity, maybe just hungry!
__xcecilia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2013, 01:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

When I get home from work I go for a run, when I get back I wake him up and put him in his playpen (with his food) while I shower. I am allergic to almost everything that has a fragrance. I have to use handmade soaps the one I am currently using is Lavender but it doesn't leave a fragrance on my skin (which is why I buy these soaps). He does sleep in my t-shirts and I will keep him in the shirt when we cuddle but he will still bite me, he's bitten me and additional 2 times since my last post and I've bled every time. It doesn't matter when I wake him up, most of the time I get bitten. The time between bites seems to be getting shorter, I wanted a hedgie so bad and I don't want to send him back. I want to make this work, I really do! And I am hoping that this is just a phase and things will get better. But my hands/wherever he decides to bite look like mincemeat. I have friends at work telling me I should be more careful with sharp objects because of the way my hands look. I am at a loss as to what to do. I have never been bitten by a single animal so many times in my life and I've grown up with pets, rats, gerbils, mice, rabbits, cats, dogs, etc. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give the treats a try.
Kdsmart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It may not leave a fragrance that you can smell, but hedgies have pretty sensitive noses, and his nose is also right next to your skin. I'd try changing soaps and see if it helps. Lavender can have a pretty distinctive scent and maybe that's bothering him?

You could try posting a new topic as well and describing your situation again to see if you get more answers from others that have dealt with constant biting.
nikki and ajweekley like this.

RIP my sweet Lily ~ 6/12/08 - 1/20/12
Lilysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in