Sleeping pattern - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2013, 02:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sleeping pattern

Hillary seems to sleep all day and night.

She is quilling.

When I wake up or come home from work I see signs that she has been out and eaten, used the restroom etc. My boyfriend will removed her house and blanket at 1230 am so when I get home at 1 she is awake. But other than that she probably sleeps 18-20 hours. (thats a rough estimate.)

Is this normal?
HillarysMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013, 02:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Sleeping pattern

How old is she? If she's still really young, it is completely normal for her to be sleeping a lot. Babies love to sleep more than anything else.
Does she have a normal light cycle (12hrs light, 12 hrs dark)? Does she have a wheel and run on it?
Why is your boyfriend removing her house and blanket?
Old 06-03-2013, 03:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

She is 9 weeks old, she has a wheel (but not a avid user) and no she doesn't have a light/dark schedule.

Rob removes her blanket and house so that she can wake up and eat and drink. At first when I would come in and try to pick her up right out of sleep she would get stressed out and not uncurl from a ball for the time I would be holding her. When she has that 30 minutes to wake up she eats and drinks (sometimes if she hasn't been woken up I can tell she hasn't touched anything) and it seems to go smoothly for her.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

At nine weeks, especially during quilling, it is normal for her to want to sleep a lot. Is she having dry skin or anything from quilling? Shadow only wanted to eat and sleep during that time, and now he enjoys running nightly.

I would try establishing a light schedule for her. My babies function better with one. Cinna slept and had a weird schedule until I put him on one.

My boyfriend's name is Rob as well hah It's good that you allow time for her to wake and adjust before taking her out.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

She does have dry skin. I given her a bath with aveeno with oatmeal (frag. free ) then applied e.v.o.o. She seems to be doing well with that combo and doesnt mind bath too much. Thanks for the help. In the 2 weeks we have had her, she went from 6.5 to 9.7 ounces. So I thought maybe it was her sleeping pattern because we kept the same food
Old 06-03-2013, 04:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

You can also try a bath with some plain oatmeal in a sock as well if she doesn't need to be shampooed. That calmed Shadow down a lot when he was quilling.
I'm glad she's doing well with you though she sounds sweet!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in