Hedgehog Central banner

Help. Urgent, don't know what to do!!!

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Tree 
#1 ·
I've had my hedgehog a few months and he's always been a bit nippy. As in, he'll bite and he's just overall grumpy. I've come to the end of my tether. Today, he has been deliberately trying to get to my hand to bite it and I can't deal with it. I want to sell him cause were just not getting on but I can't sell a grumpy, biting hedgehog! What should I do!!! By the way, please don't say I'm inconsiderate and I'm being unfair on the hog cause I've done nothing wrong I just can't cope with his behaviour anymore as he's biting.

#2 ·
How often do you handle him? Keep your hands away from his mouth, don't feed him anything directly from your hand, and even wear gloves if you feel like you have to. What is his diet like? Try giving him some fun stuff to eat and play with, but use tongs or a spoon to give it to him and only on the floor. He can associate coming out to play with good things, BUT not associate your hand with food. Hedgies aren't mean animals on purpose ever, in my opinion. When he bites do not put him down, that's reinforcing his behavior.
I hope the two of you can work things out!

#3 ·
SpikeMoose said:
How often do you handle him? Keep your hands away from his mouth, don't feed him anything directly from your hand, and even wear gloves if you feel like you have to. What is his diet like? Try giving him some fun stuff to eat and play with, but use tongs or a spoon to give it to him and only on the floor. He can associate coming out to play with good things, BUT not associate your hand with food. Hedgies aren't mean animals on purpose ever, in my opinion. When he bites do not put him down, that's reinforcing his behavior.
I hope the two of you can work things out!
When he bites me he holds on really hard so he just sort of falls to the ground so it's hard to not put him down. I handle him daily but it's weird cause he's only started doing it properly today. Thanks for yor help and the fact that you want us to work things out, it really helps

#4 ·
abbiechapman said:
I've had my hedgehog a few months and he's always been a bit nippy. As in, he'll bite and he's just overall grumpy. I've come to the end of my tether. Today, he has been deliberately trying to get to my hand to bite it and I can't deal with it. I want to sell him cause were just not getting on but I can't sell a grumpy, biting hedgehog! What should I do!!! By the way, please don't say I'm inconsiderate and I'm being unfair on the hog cause I've done nothing wrong I just can't cope with his behaviour anymore as he's biting.
Make sure your hands don't smell like anything when you handle him! Reggie will always lick me and try to bite me if I've had anything on my hands other than unscented soap. Now, if I wash my hands thoroughly with unscented soap (I use Aveeno), Reggie is totally fine. Hope this helps!

#5 ·
Hey there! I know how you feel because Krampus has been biting me for a while now and I feel pretty discouraged. All of the things most people tell me to try haven't worked (washing hands with unscented soap, giving treats, blowing in face, etc), either. He's not afraid of me because he will come up to me when he's playing on the floor, but if my hands are near him you can guarantee he will try to bite them, and he bites hard enough to draw blood.
How is it going with you and your hedgie? Are you getting on better? Is there hope yet for me and Krampus????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.