Unexpected New Friend... - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2013, 01:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Unexpected New Friend...

About two weeks ago my older sister went out and bought herself a pet hodgehog from a pet store (Ugh!) I tried to warn her not to get one because my sister is the type of person who preferrs to stay out all night and party so she's not home terribly often. I told her that she wasn't going to have enough time to spend with her hedgie and it was going to become unfriendly. I knew that if her hedgie wasn't friendly and she couldn't play with it she would lose interest in it and pass it off to me (like she did with her 3 cats the week before she went out and bought her hedgie) As I predicted she spends no time with the poor things and she is completely unsocial. I could tell that she had done absolutely no research before purchasing her new friend. I tried my best to give her as much information as I could, including telling her over and over again that she should spend at least half an hour every night bonding with her hedgie.

Today she arrived at my house with her hedgehog in a carrier. I thought she was just bringing her over to show me, but she told me that she was going to "leave her here for the weekend." She didn't bring a cage, water bottle, or anything. Luckily I had a spare materials... My sister claims she wants to leave her hedgie here for "niceness bootcamp" Two things wrong with this to begin with.... 1) Im a new hedgie mommy myself. I spend a lot of time cuddling and playing with my little Sega every single night. I don't know how to "cure" Grumpy Hedgie Syndrome. 2) There is only so much I can do over a single weekend. And even if I do somehow manage to get her hedgie comfortable around me, odds are she won't be handled enough and will simply revert back to her old ways.

I've also noticed that having another hedgie in the room has made Sega very huffy. She is normally very sweet and won't quill up when I go to pick her up. Tonight it took me almost half an hour to get Sega to lay her quills down and even then every time my sisters hedgie would make a sound she would huff and quill up. I've since moved my sisters hedgehog to my bathroom and it seems like Sega is a little more relaxed.

I feel so conflicted about all this. I would feel guilty giving the hedgehog back to my sister because I know she isn't getting the care and attention she needs. At the same time I would love to adopt the poor thing, but at the current time I only have the resources necessary to keep one hedgie. I also wouldn't want to risk Segas health and personality by stressing her out with another hedgie being in the room. I would love to find a more suitable owner for my sisters hedgie, but unfortunately she is not mine to give away. Any ideas? :/
Kamikazeke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2013, 01:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Unexpected New Friend...

There are lots of members here that are breeders or just owners of more than one hedgie so hopefully you will get more solid feedback. But if it were me (and your sister does decide to pass the hedgie on to you) I would think you could just keep them in separate rooms to avoid stressing out Sega. Putting them in the same cage to live is not a great idea anyway. Besides possible vet visits it doesn't seem like there would be many other expenses for having two hedgies rather than one. After initial cage/wheel/etc setup you already have food and other supplies on hand. I would think you could alternate nights or times bonding if need be. Perhaps you can look after (and socialize) the hedgie until you can find another safe option, somewhere to live. You seem knowledgable about hedgies and what they need so I wish you luck figuring this all out!

Henry!
http://youtu.be/C_Xg6Zt3vDo
sklock65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 01:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

Wow, not cool of your sister. Since you say she has a habit of doing stuff like this, maybe you could just convince her to let you have the hedgie now instead of waiting a few more weeks for her to get tired of it. Then you can find a good home for her. Poor girl. I hate to think of how she'll be treated in the meantime. If you do end up having to keep her for awhile, do you need any supplies? I have an extra cage you can have if you're anywhere near Seattle. Thank goodness the hedgie has a concerned, caring aunt like you I hope everything works out for the best. Keep us posted.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

I know your pain, I have a sister exactly like yours. two years ago my sister went out and adopted a kitten. Which I knew was going to be a disaster because she can't even be responsible for a stuffed animal let alone a live animal. After the novelty wore off she cared about her less and less, so bad that she would always "forget" to buy her food and the poor girl would go DAYS without it. Thankfully I also have my own cat and if it wern't for me she would have starved, but yet my sister could go out every night to the bars and drink away.
Now I buy her food, take care of vet bills and keep the litter box clean. She still claims to be her "mother", which is ridiculous, you can't let your baby starve, or not take care of her at all. Basically to her she is for show and nothing more. But she has become my cat. Infact she is so bad that last week I asked her to feed the cats for me since I was sick, she told me no because she didn't want to go to the bar smelling like cat food!!
Sorry I really needed to get that out.... it frustrates me soo much.

Here she is, Belle my calico

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Twiggy22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Dee

Poor baby
Just on the stress thing, when Cindaquil came home Pindsvin HATED IT. He was so unhappy for about two weeks, and they weren't actually ever in contact. It was just her smell being in the house made him huffy. But after that he calmed down and has pretty much gone back to being his usual snuggly self!
Dee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

I think there is a "sister" like that in most families. Mine did the same thing. She really isn't an animal person and should know this by now. I've raised all her animals that she purchased as a kid. When she married, they got a dog for the kids. Now that the kids are grown, they are animal free - thank God.

I remember giving her parakeets a bath and one flew out the open window when the bird bath fell off the door. I felt so bad that I went out and bought another one - the same color - and she didn't even know it was a different bird and smaller too!!

Lisa
momIImany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 12:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

Wow MomIImany ... did you ever tell her about it?
I guess the only thing that we can do is just be there for the animals. My mom kept telling me for a while to not feed Belle or clean out her litter box, but how could I not? I wasn't just going to stand back and do nothing. She would say that it wasn't my responsibility.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Twiggy22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 12:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

Twiggy22:
Yes, about 10-15 years later. Now we can all laugh about it. She was so oblivious. (Some things never change - even after 40 years!)

Lisa
momIImany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 09:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

It's a brother in my case. And parents. I was the one responsible for pet care growing up. It was like that as long as I can remember. I helped with feeding until I was old enough to remember on my own and as soon as I was old enough to understand I was standing in the vet office beside my mom listening to instructions and I took responsibility for medicines. I walked the dog and played with her and taught her tricks. Now that I'm not living at home a lot of care doesn't get done. Like nail trims and brushing for the cats and my brother got a dog that he barely has time to walk. It's frustrating and I don't much besides tell them better ways to care for their animals but really I'm not there or even in the same city so I can't really help them out. My sister is not a pet person and at least she's smart enough to know that and not get any.

RIP Quigley, I miss you my little grumpus.
hedgielover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

this thread saddens me

I was raised in a household where pets are for life!
they are family members to the very end, you get them you keep them and give them the very best of care!
1Rayne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in