do you think my hedgehog will warm up to me/tips? - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default do you think my hedgehog will warm up to me/tips?

I bought a hedgehog yesterday and he was very good with his previous owners when I watched them, he was very calm and playful but if I even come near his cage he freaks out and starts huffing and rolls into a ball and I got him out using a towel and he let me pet him after he calmed down a little but he was still freaking out and jumping, spiking, huffing, do you think he will warm up to me? And do you have any tips?

Old 01-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: do you think my hedgehog will warm up to me/tips?

He probably will. Going from one home to another is scary to a little guy who doesn't see well and has a great sense of smell.

Your house smells totally different than he's used to. He's adapting to a completely new home.

My advice, give him one of your old used t-shirts to sleep in his cage, so he associates your scent with safety and comfort. Keep handling him, perferabbly without the towel (which masks your scent) and he'll come around. IT might take a little time, but if he was friendly before you know he's got it in him.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to amylynnbales

You need to give him time. Like jholstein11 said, he needs time to come around and get used to all the changes. He needs to learn that you aren't a threat to him. I love the t-shirt idea, it's what I plan to do with my new hedgie once I get it.

Try having it eat treats from your hand, then in the palm of your hand. Soon it will have to climb into your hand to get the treats, thereby trusting you.

It takes time, but it's well worth it. Even if your little ball of spikes stays just that, you've still gotta hold and play with him around an hour a day to get used to you. Soon he'll get used to it all, but you can't rush a hedgie

amylynnbales is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 02:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amylynnbales
Try having it eat treats from your hand, then in the palm of your hand. Soon it will have to climb into your hand to get the treats, thereby trusting you.
Careful with that method. Because hedgies don't see so well all they know is that your hand produces treats. That could earn you a nice chomp down!

Most posts I've seen on this board suggest that treats not be fed by hand because it is a really good way to get bitten by your hedgie.

Katis228 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to amylynnbales

Ahh, I've never thought of it that way. You're right, that could lead to a bite, sorry haha but nonetheless I hope your hedgie warms up to you soon

amylynnbales is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

the t shirt thing is amazing and works wonders. I've had my hedges for i guess getting close to a month? but the male is finally coming around. we take him out once a day and let him wonder around and mess with him. and we bath him once every two weeks. we tried the treat thing and he accidentally bit my bf. (drew a lil bit of blood) so we figured we wouldn't try that again for a while lol. theres also several videos on youtube that give you lots of details on handling and care for an aggressive/grouchy hedge. I'm not a breeder and I'm fairly new to the game but these are things that really have helped along the way gl. there fun when there not pricks.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amylynnbales
Ahh, I've never thought of it that way. You're right, that could lead to a bite, sorry haha but nonetheless I hope your hedgie warms up to you soon
I've only been bitten by Mal twice. Once was because I had washed my hands with Bath & Body Works Winter Candy Apple hand soap, and the other was when my hands still smelled of her kibble. I was totally asking for it both times! LOL

That being said, treats are a great way to have your hedgie associate you with good things. Just place the treat in front of them, or I've even seen some members use chopsticks to feed their hedgie!

Ex: from shaelikestaquitos and her hedgie Kashi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBlC3Um1VYI

Katis228 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

My hedgie's idea of "bonding time" with me is crawling in my shirt and falling asleep. Maybe let your guy try that. It's warm, you're soft and he'll feel all hidden and safe.

Or a cuddle sack on your lap works too. They are prey animals, so hiding in unknown conditions is what they do naturally.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

I got Pippin back in December.She finally had given me her stamp of approval this past week. I used the T-shirt method. However I didn't use that alone. I set a routine with her. Everyday at the same time I cleaned her cage, she was curious enough to watch me cleaning from the safety of her sack. After cleaning I changed her food and water out for fresh. I would pick her up, sack and all, and settle down in front of the TV for awhile. Eventually she got brave enough to explore under the blankets on my bed. After doing this with her since December,she has only recently started seeking me out and splatting next to my leg rather than the far reaches of my bed. It takes time, but also consistency. I wouldn't recommend hand feeding unless you are looking to be chomped on. I think the combination of the routine and letting her explore me on her terms really made an impact on our relationship. She trusts me to keep her clean, fed, and safe. My scent has become one she associates with comfort. I'm pretty thrilled to be her pillow now. Best of luck.
Avarris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2014, 01:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

Hello, Sorry to cut in on your question I just don't know how to use this site or have an account. We just got our hedgie 3 weeks ago, he's very aggressive when we pick him up he pops and clicks and hisses. When we hold him he doesn't calm down at all and I know were supposed to hold him til he calms to not reinforce bad behavior, is this normal for him to hiss the entire time even when there is No sound or movement? Can a breeder or someone knowledgeable about hedgies email me please [email protected]
marci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in