Starting to bite - Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum
Hedgehog Central GalleryForum Archives Facebook Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Starting to bite

I've had my hedgehog for a several weeks now and she has become used to me. Lately she has started to nibble and even bite. The first couple times it was when she was trying to burrow in my boyfriends, her other owner, lap and then again in my mothers lap. The third time I think she bit out of anger because she had slide between my boyfriend while all three of us were cuddling and watching tv and I was picking her up and she hissed at me and I continued to pick her up cause she was going to get swished! Then she bite me. I warned everyone that to leave her alone when she starts to get annoyed and stop messing with her, because they all thinks its cute to hear her hiss. Then today, she was moving her tube that she plays in with her nose and I went to pick her up to move her and she bite me again! I don't know why all of sudden she is biting because she never bit while she was getting to know me and she has been the sweetest and funniest little thing ever! Please let me know if I'm doing anything wrong or if there is a reason she could have started to bite! I would really appreciate it!

[attachment=0:jp5hbefe]image.jpg[/attachment:jp5hbefe]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (41.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg image.jpg (41.2 KB, 4 views)
Lyssab320 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 03:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Starting to bite

Be careful that you don't accidentally reenforce the behavior. Biting can be defensive or an instinctive fear reaction, the same as huffing, although less common. But, if you start to give her room and leave her alone in reaction to her biting, she'll see that as a "reward", and she'll start to bite more because she sees that it's effective. Just like with huffing, popping, clicking, etc, when a hedgehog bites they shouldn't be returned to their cage or left alone. Keep bothering her and handling her as normal, just be mindful of where your fingers are. If she does bite you, try to react as little as possible, even if it hurts, and then go back to whatever you were doing. That will show her that biting doesn't get her what she wants, it's not effective. In general, anything that bothers them is good for them - it's socialization, and it desensitizes them to things that might initially spook them. So, you can warn people that she might nip them if they bother her, for their own sake, but really it's better for her if you just let them do it. "Manhandling" and "harassment" are really good things.

USDA licensed breeder in Port Orchard, WA.
Volcano View Hedgehogs
moxieberry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 06:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Starting to bite

That makes sense... I just don't understand why all of a sudden she is biting! She has never bit before and now she is biting! She is very nice and has a great personality! I just wish I knew what caused her to start biting and how to fix it!
Lyssab320 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hedgehog Central Hedgehog pet care & owner forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in